Author Topic: Surviving the Con  (Read 20872 times)

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2009, 11:33:46 am »
sgt you are talking to griff i would jusst stay in the revolving doors and go around and around because it would be fun.
but eve i can see what you mean. to early for me still not thinking

China bound!!!

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
Re: Surviving the Con
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2009, 11:36:25 am »
As stated, just don't fall down. NOT FUN!
Next con: Kumoricon
Make sure to pop in to the Tiptoe Through the TARDIS panel this year.
It is going to be...

Offline flash15

• Cabbit
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2009, 12:42:18 am »
This is something that I harp on at another con, but as I dont see it mentioned here yet, I will do so.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be respectful of others, and I dont just mean the other con goers or staff.

There are people at the hotels who are not a part of the convention.  Dont crowd the halls so they cant get through or hog the elevator, run down the hallways at night, ect.  Please remember there are others out there who need to get on with their lives as well.

And I can not stress this enough, but BE RESPECTFUL OF HOTEL STAFF!!!  They are graciously putting up with us for the weekend.  Please, leave them with a positive memory of anime fans.  I will even just stop by the desk and say thank you to the clerk there as I walk by.  You are not being funny as you run away from them, you look dumb and are causing problems for all of us.

And while I am thinking about it, no room parties, because someone always ends up trashing their room in some way.  Disgusting.  Lots of public transit in P-town, take it somewhere else (as long as it is safe).

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2009, 01:06:01 am »
As stated, just don't fall down. NOT FUN!

Oh, I already know I'm going to fall. xD
Yuna's Wedding dress and Veil... yeah, I'mma fall. A lot. Down the giant spirally stair in the Hilton. xD

I've got a few:
- when staying in the hotel, bring NUITRIOUS FOOD. Most hotels at least have a microwave somewhere, or a coffee machine or a fridge.
- If over 21, BAAAAAAAAAAD idea to drink during the con weekend. You really wanna get up with a hangover and then go spend 20 hours in con area trying to be hyper? Didn't think so. xD
- Keep a watch or clock with you(my PSP for me) to know the time. Being late for a panel or anything is never fun. >.<
- Early is good for any of the lines. Bring a good manga or hand-held videogame majigger with you for the wait. And a bottle of water, 'cause you maybe be waiting.
- KEEP HYDRATED! Preferrably keep a bottle of water in your bag at all times; don't know when you or someone else may need it.
KumoriCon 2012

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2009, 01:13:28 am »
- Early is good for any of the lines. Bring a good manga or hand-held videogame majigger with you for the wait. And a bottle of water, 'cause you maybe be waiting.
I just want to comment on this; it should be in the con book and probably somewhere on the site as well: we won't be letting attendees form lines more than, IIRC, 30 minutes (again this figure should be documented somewhere, so please check the number for yourself.  If you can't find it, ask a Yojimbo staff member at the con) before any event.  Basically, the hotel is a network of rather narrow hallways, particularly around the Grand Ballroom.  If those hallways are jammed up with lines for hours on end, we wind up with other things completely blocked off, including the pathways we need to use in order to move equipment and get events set up and opening on time.

So, in other words, yes, showing up early is a good idea, but PLEASE don't show up too early.  If everyone shows up five minutes early; everyone waits for five minutes.  If everyone shows up 15 minutes early, everyone waits for 15 minutes.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline flash15

• Cabbit
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2009, 05:04:21 pm »
I just found this, and this has to be some of the greatest advice I could have read involving anime conventions in general. It's the Ten Plagues of Anime Conventions and explains the downsides to con's and what you can do to either get around it or beware of certain things:

http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com/articles/thecat/8531-10panime

This was brilliant!  I was laughing so hard reading some of them.  Sad to think that they really are all true...

Offline leonmasteries

• Catgirl
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2009, 05:05:52 pm »
I know what you mean, but their up there so that people are aware and can be prepared in advance so that their first con won't be bad.

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2009, 09:50:49 pm »
I just want to comment on this; it should be in the con book and probably somewhere on the site as well: we won't be letting attendees form lines more than, IIRC, 30 minutes (again this figure should be documented somewhere, so please check the number for yourself.  If you can't find it, ask a Yojimbo staff member at the con) before any event.  Basically, the hotel is a network of rather narrow hallways, particularly around the Grand Ballroom.  If those hallways are jammed up with lines for hours on end, we wind up with other things completely blocked off, including the pathways we need to use in order to move equipment and get events set up and opening on time.

So, in other words, yes, showing up early is a good idea, but PLEASE don't show up too early.  If everyone shows up five minutes early; everyone waits for five minutes.  If everyone shows up 15 minutes early, everyone waits for 15 minutes.

You are indeed correct: I -explicitly- remember hearing at the last meeting the following fact.

1) Lines in hallways will only be allowed beginning 30 min prior to the official start time of entry to the room for an event. (That is, 30 min before the doors open.  Doors open at the seating time if one is listed, or at the event block's start otherwise.)
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline CharlotteElbourne

• Chibi
    • Charlotte's Cosplay.com Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2009, 11:45:36 pm »
Staying hydrated is important, but be careful! Drinking water makes you have to pee, so make sure you can get in and out of your costume easily D: Also be wary of bathroom floors... they may LOOK clean and not wet, but you have to check and make sure! Don't want to get a costume dirty from toilet water @_@

Heels aren't a problem with me... I've been wearing heels all year. I guess you could call it training for conventions xD They can get pretty comfortable if you have gel insoles as well.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2009, 10:20:53 am »
Hello everyone, Animeman73 here.  I have a blog over at Wordpress.com. There I'm known as Scififantasyanimeman, and I have a post on how to stay safe at a convention. If any of you attendees, Youjimbo (Hope I spelled that right), or staff members want to go over, have a look, comment, and/or copy it go right ahead I think you'll find the information very insightful.  :). Take care all and stay safe.

Here's the Permalink to get there:

http://scififantasyanimeman.wordpress.com/2009/08/15/how-to-stay-safe-at-a-convention/

ENJOY  :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 01:37:22 pm by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2009, 01:48:08 pm »
Swine flu friendly reminder:

WASH YOUR HANDS!!
COVER YOUR MOUTH WHEN YOU COUGH!
If you are sick / have symptoms of the flu - STAY HOME - we don't want Kumoricon to be a vector for swine flu.

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2009, 09:12:44 pm »
Just a few survivor tips. Some of which I picked up at Kumoricon 09
Most of this is probably common knowledge but I'll post it anyways.

CHECK YOUR STUFF
-Before/as you leave (your room, a panel, an event, the bathroom, wherever) Do a pocket check to make sure you have everything. For me this would be quickly patting down my pockets and shirt to check for my wallet, cell phone and Con-Badge. You might look like an idiot feeling yourself up, but your less likely to forget stuff.   Same thing with a backpack or purse. Double check that you have it, if you took something out, double check the contents of your bag to make sure you have everything.

EAT WHEN YOU CAN!
-Its better to eat when your slightly hungry and you have nothing going on then to wait till your starved and crazy busy or locked into something. same goes for going to the bathroom.

SCOUT THE AREA!
-Either on pre-reg day or any other day/time you absolutely have nothing going on, familurize yourself with the surroundings. This is so you don't get lost when youre in a hurry to get somewhere.

SHOW UP EARLY!
-If something sounds kool, there are probably a lot of other people thinking the same thing. Showing up early gets you better seats and better chances of getting in. Your schedule permiting I would suggest heading down/showing up at the very least 10 to 15 mins early, depending on the event/panel maybe even sooner. Use your judgement.

Like I said most of its common knowledge, probably even printed in the con booklet somewhere.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 03:14:02 am by KogaRyu »
Team Koga

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2009, 09:47:31 pm »
Just a few survivor tips. Some of which I picked up at Kumoricon 09
Most of this is probably common knowledge but I'll post it anyways.
SHOW UP EARLY!
-If something sounds kool, there are probably a lot of other people thinking the same thing. Showing up early gets you better seats and better chances of getting in. Your schedule permiting I would suggest heading down/showing up at the very least 10 to 15 mins early, depending on the event/panel maybe even sooner. Use your judgement.

Like I said most of its common knowledge most of its probably even printed in the con booklet somewhere.

Showing up early is a good idea.  Plan on spending 30 min if you have to go across the convention or use the elevators.  This year lines were allowed to start 30 min before an event's officially listed starting time (or seating time if it had such a thing).  If you must get in, be there when you're first allowed to line up.

The 30 min rule will -probably- be in effect next year as well, given it's the same hotel; BUT this may be related to fire code and other considerations, so that isn't anywhere near official yet (we've not even had elections, let alone the next 11 months).
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline Meganekko

• Sailor Scout
    • myface
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2009, 12:48:45 am »
Sleep is your friend... and its best in bed.
If you were gay, that'd be okay.

I'm mean cause hey, I'd like you anyways.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2009, 03:50:47 am »
I had to do it in a chair after working for 16 hours a day.  Hotel not giving us 2 beds like we are suppose to get, wtf....  Sadly this has happened before and will happen again when a convention is going on >.<