Author Topic: Fanfic, Novel/Novella, Manga, Webcomic Contest, Now Open! Rules Linked Here!  (Read 13746 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
Hello to all you ficcers out there!

My name is Kate, and I'll be your Fan Fiction Coordinator for this year! This will be my 6th Kumoricon, 11th anime con, and my 14th con total! Can you tell I like conventions?

I've been writing fanfiction for 9 years now and have come to enjoy it as one of my favourite hobbies! I'm very excited to be in charge of the contest this year, and I know I'm going to enjoy reading the entries.

Our judges this year are:
Audrey Wood; who has been with the Creation Station for years was last year's Creation Station Assistant, panelist, and FF contest Judge!
Jeni Smith; Another returning Judge and panelist!
India Muncie-Jarvis; A new Judge this year, however she has quite a bit of experience in the world of fandom, and I know she'll do a great job!
Ellen Klowden; Co-founder of the Creation Station and the Creation Station Manager. Ellen is a professional editor who is always has great insight on writing!
and Myself!

We have some deadlines coming up pretty soon, so make sure to get your submissions in on time!

Novellas and novel length fics, and any manga or webcomic submissions over 50 pages must be submitted by Saturday August 1st, 2009.

All snail mail submissions must be received by Saturday August 15th, 2009 at the latest.

All e-mailed submissions are encouraged to be sent by Tuesday September 1st, 2009 so we have time to send you a confirmation e-mail, and so we are sure we are able to open any attachments or use any links to find your submissions.

At con submissions must be turned into a Fanfiction Contest Judge by 9:00 PM September 5th, 2009. (If you will not be attending the first day of the convention and have absolutely no other way to turn in your submission, please e-mail us, and we will try to work something out with you.)

For the full rules see: http://www.kumoricon.org/?page_id=94
Kate Fletcher
Assistant Director of Relations 2013
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Blessings to everyone who has entered in the past, and best of luck to everyone entering this year! This thread is a great place to post any inquiries, check to see if we've received your fic, and so forth :) Everyone is more than welcome to enter their fics, whether they're the first you've ever written or you have a solid following in the online and con community, a fandom of your own :)
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
As announced at the July General Meeting, we're extending all our deadlines to better serve the needs of the con and attendees. While we'd prefer to receive your entries prior to August 15th, we will be accepting entries at con. (If your entry is novella- or novel-length, and you don't think you can meet the August 15th suggested deadline, please contact us asap to see if we can make arrangements for you.)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Deadline update!
Those whose novels, novellas, or illustrated fics top 20 pages, and whose manga and webcomics top 50 pages, are urged to have those in by no later than tomorrow, Saturday, August 15th; or at least by tomorrow to let us know of your intent to send them in, and then to have them on their way to us, to be received by Monday, August 17th. If anyone really can't make this deadline, PM me immediately. We might be able to work something out, such as, if you have a webcomic from which you could easily extract your favorite subsection or series of individual pages, to submit fewer than 50 pages.....(manga too).Works under those lengths will be accepted through 8 pm on the first night of con (Saturday, September 5).
If you are turning your fic in during the weekend of con, however, it must be in person, to me or to Kate, Fanfic Coordinator, or possibly Audrey or Jeni, judges, within the Creation Station, which is the Council and Directors rooms of the Hilton Hotel side of the con, on the 3rd floor.
Hope to see many more entries between now and then!
Please send a cut & paste, an attachment, and/or a link to fanficcontest@kumoricon.org
Or snail mail: Creation Station, P.O.Box 5098, Eugene, OR 97405, USA

Offline Tsuki-Ken

• Cabbit
Is this only for fan fics or is original work welcome?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
In previous years, and at other cons, our crew received so many pages of original fiction *novels*, that it was difficult to even get around to all the shorter fanfics. So a decision was made to only accept works that were *novel-length or novella-length* if they were fanfics, while shorter original works were still accepted. I'm not entirely sure why/when the diction changed to not accept even shorter original works in this contest, but we of Creation Station have actually expanded our programming for folks who write original fiction. At various cons, we've held workshops to help those involved in NaNoWriMo, for example (National Novel Writing Month). At this year's KC, we have a new panel, "Epic to Novel", which is about making the leap from writing short fanfic to writing novel-length works. Our popular "Putting it in Print" panel returns, with helpful hints from a savvy gal involved in the publishing industry, whose own con survival guides are in print. We have panels about editing and about giving and receiving critiques, which will address both fan and original fics. Many of our writing workshops are equally applicable to fan and original works, such as our 18+ panels on writing "Citrus" works and on writing Mature scenes "Without the Smut". And perhaps most directly speaking to your inquiry is the fact that works of original fiction are very welcome at our Fanfiction Bedtime Stories, Fanfic Theatre, and Adult Fanfiction Bedtime Stories events, for which a special prize is awarded for the Best Original Fic. We hope to see you there, reading or cosplaying some of your original fiction, and/or having someone else read or cosplay it for you! (We can find you a reader, if needed.)
:)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 10:45:35 pm by RemSaverem »

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
Hey, it's Kate your local Fanfiction Coordinator!

Its just after 11:50 pm (08.15.09), which means the deadline for fanfiction 10,000 words or more (about 20 pages typed in size 12 Times New Roman font), and for webcomics or manga of 50 pages or more, is almost here! Ten more minutes guys!

Remember, fanfic works 10,000 words or under, and webcomic/ manga works of 50 pages or less will be welcome until 9pm Saturday Sept. 5th at the convention!

I will be at the next (and final) meeting on the 22nd and will be able to take entries there.

If you will not be attending the convention, or are able to email your submission (fanficcontest@kumoricon.org) we'd prefer to receive it by Tuesday, Sept. 1st so we'll have time to read it before the convention.

Any fanfic, manga, or webcomic entries submitted during Con must be hand-delivered to the Fanfiction Contest Coordinator and/or one of the contest judges within the Creation Station. Submissions must be in hard copy (i.e. printed or hand written on paper), or saved in a .word or .rtf format for text only entries, or a JPEG or GIF format for entires with graphics, on a USB drive, or burned on a CD. WE WILL NOT HAVE INTERNET ACCESS IN THE ROOM AVAILABLE FOR YOU TO FIND YOUR FIC ONLINE AND SEND IT TO US.

NOTE: We cannot accept submissions that have a MA (or R/ NC-17) rating. If you have a question about the rating you should apply to your fic, PLEASE email me! (fanficcontest@kumoricon.org or at khummer@teleport.com) I have done extensive research on fiction and movie ratings, in addition to working at a movie theatre for over 2 years, giving out advice on movie ratings on a daily basis. We will do what we can in order to accept your entry if it is borderline...but the judges' decision will be final.

Email us any questions!

-Kate
Kate Fletcher
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Excellent clarifications, Kate!
Since someone mentioned a rating of "M/MA", could you please clarify for folks if there is any difference there?
Perhaps it is similar to the difference between "R" and "NC-17"?

Offline Tsuki-Ken

• Cabbit
Thanks for the clarification!
How long is "shorter" for original works? Less then 10,000 words?
Sorry for the confusion, I'm a little nervous.

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
I would say 10,000 words or less for an original piece, the same as a non-novella/novel fanfic.

Since someone mentioned a rating of "M/MA", could you please clarify for folks if there is any difference there?
Perhaps it is similar to the difference between "R" and "NC-17"?

It is a similar distinction. (check out -> http://www.fictionratings.com/guide.php for more info on fiction ratings!)

M - Mature - is listed as a 16+ rating and can contain non-explicit adult themes, hard/ course language, and references to violence. Its recommended for mature teens and adults.

MA - Mature Adult - is listed as 18+ and recommended only for the adult crowd.

One easy distinction between a T (13+) rating and a M or MA rating is the level of sexual content or sexual based swearing. For example, the MPAA will let the 'F-word' slide in a PG-13 movie once or twice so long as it is not used in a sexual context. The same goes for most swear words.

As for sexual content, if it goes past 'making-out', and hands/ other body parts go 'below the belt' so to speak, you most likely have an M or MA rated piece. Now the main difference between fiction and movie ratings in this case is that in a movie it is shown, while in fiction it is described. In a T rated piece you can still mention that a character has engaged in sexual activities, so long as you do not go into detail. Remember that is a 'mention', not an explanation of the deed, or all the 'dirty details'. So even though you have a T rated piece it doesn't mean you have to skip over the subject of sex altogether...however it needs to stay within the range of 'civil conversation', ie. would you be allowed to talk about it in a middle school, summer camp, or work setting?

For violence levels, generally there should be limited graphic violence (meaning: violence that is described or shown in detail), as well as limited to no blood and gore, in a T rated piece. Just because someone is killed, doesn't automatically mean your writing should get a M/MA rating, it depends how much detail you put into your descriptions. If you're writing out the details of someone being drawn and quartered (torn limb form limb), and are including things like bones snapping, and skin ripping and the like, you're most likely going to end up with a mature rating. If you leave out those details and only write: 'The condemned prisoner was torn limb from limb in the courtyard.' you'd still be safely within a T rating. If you have a Fantasy or Sci-Fi piece this can be harder to judge as its normal for a knight to go around killing dragons, or for a spacer to fight for their life against an alien race...the best advice for judging violence levels in that case would be to ask yourself (honestly) or a friend: Would this be too violent or scary to be in a PG-13 moive?

-------------------
(The Wiki Article on MPAA movie ratings -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Association_of_America_film_rating_system)

R - Restricted - 17+ (18 in some states), someone 21 years or older is required to see the movie with you if you are underage, or do not have an ID to prove your age. "May contain very strong language or strong sexual emphasis, strong explicit nudity, strong violence and gore, or strong drug content."

NC-17 - No One Under 17 - Self explanatory, no one under the age of 17, even with a parent or guardian will be admitted. "May contain very strong sexual or offensive language, strong explicit nudity, very strong gore or disturbing violence, or graphic drug abuse."
Kate Fletcher
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Thanks for the clarification!
How long is "shorter" for original works? Less then 10,000 words?
Sorry for the confusion, I'm a little nervous.
*Gentle smile*
No need to be nervous. Remember, if for any reason your work doesn't qualify for our current contest (or isn't in on time), you can read, cosplay, or have someone else read or cosplay, excerpts from it at our Fanfic Bedtime Stories event or our Adult Fanfic Bedtime Stories event (if you are 18 or over)!
Kate, thanks for ratings details.

Offline Tsuki-Ken

• Cabbit
Thanks for answering all my questions!
Does category refer to genre or award category?

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
Thanks for answering all my questions!
Does category refer to genre or award category?

It refers to both - some of the award categories are genre based. We don't always get entries to every category, and sometimes we get entries that we don't feel fit any of the below listed ones. If you're still unsure, just list the genre(s), and we'll figure it out! ^_~

Best Newbie
Best Creator—Age 16 & Under
Best Drama
Best Comedy
Best Romance
Best Songfic/Filk
Best Crossover/Fusion
Best Canon
Best Fanon
Best Parody—Written
Best Parody—Multimedia
Best Novella—Humorous
Best Novella—Serious
Best Novel
Best Manga—Black & White, Hand-Drawn
Best Manga—Color, Hand-Drawn
Best Manga—Black & White, Computer-Generated
Best Manga—Color, Computer-Generated
Best Web-comic/Online Manga
Best Authenticity
Best Backstory
Best Presentation
Kate Fletcher
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Basically, we include in our rules a list of potential prize categories and genres, to showcase and honor the wide variety to be found among fan creations; to spark increased interest in our contest, and in fanworks, in general; and to be as inclusive and encouraging as possible, so everyone along the spectrum from first-time author to multiple-prize-winning semi-pro can feel welcome and enjoyably challenged. Historically, I've also always reserved the right to innovate new prize categories based on the unique and superlative qualities of the entered fanworks. That, for example, is how Best Backstory, Best Authenticity, and Best Presentation came into being, and, in fact, how Fanfic Theatre came into being!
So if any of you have fanfics, manga, webcomics, web manga, or doujinshi that cross various of those categories listed, or that don't necessarily fit any of them, no worries! We definitely still want you to enter it, provided that it's within our ratings limits and our deadlines -- and if it's not, we still want you to come to read or cosplay it (or have others do so) at Fanfic Bedtime Stories or Adult Fanfic Bedtime Stories (if you are 18 or older by the day of that event).
Thanks for the list, Kate, and for the questions, everyone!

Offline Tsuki-Ken

• Cabbit
Thanks for all your help - I'll go send my entry now!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
I am sad to report that this year, I will not be making a submission for the novella contest.  These past few months have been so busy for me that I haven't had the proper time to finish.  However, I do plan on finishing it before the con, and would be willing to submit it to you ladies, jsut so you can see it.  I'm also planning on giving a copy to Cynthia Martinez, since she provided the voice for the main character; I won't say anything beyond that.  Anyway, good luck to all of the contestants, and have fun!
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Tsuki-Ken: Excellent!
Aaron: Come to Bedtime Stories and read some of it aloud (or we can find you a volunteer to read it)!
(Note to readers: Aaron has won in prior years. If I recall correctly, once for Novella and once in our Crossover Dreams contest!) :)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Yup.  In fact, the novella victory was last year.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
*nods* :)

Offline IcyMelon

• Bunnygirl
I have a questions.
What if we draw the manga but we type
the text? is that still counted as a hand-drawn
manga?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Absolutely yes!
We accept a wide variety of visual/written hybrids:
illustrated fanfics
illustrated original fics
hand-drawn manga
digitally-illustrated manga
web manga
doujinshi (hand or digital)
webcomics (handdrawn and digital)
graphic novels

Note that "hand-drawn" does not say "hand-written"! Any font will do, handwritten or typeface! So long as it is legible! How exciting!!!

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Submitted to the contest!

Man, I'm nervous. I ran it by a ton of people before submitting it, both the fic (which I rewrote for it) and the backstory (to make sure I got all the talking points, including that the character is internally contradictory in canon).

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Re: Fanfic, Novel/Novella, Manga, Webcomic Contest, Now Open! Rules Linked Here!
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2009, 11:29:35 am »
Submitted to the contest!

Man, I'm nervous. I ran it by a ton of people before submitting it, both the fic (which I rewrote for it) and the backstory (to make sure I got all the talking points, including that the character is internally contradictory in canon).

Hm. No need to be nervous, and I just found it. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:31:15 am by RemSaverem »