Author Topic: The Lolita Thread  (Read 202430 times)

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
Re: The Lolita Thread
« Reply #850 on: July 14, 2012, 09:29:01 am »
I think the simplest skirt to do is just a rectangle skirt (I do 20in in length by twice selvage to selvage, then gathered into a waistband). Or, I used this pattern (slightly altered) to make my first three dresses: http://sewing.patternreview.com/patterns/20732 You just have to shorten the skirt.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #851 on: July 14, 2012, 12:03:38 pm »
This is the design I have drawn out for it so far. I plan to use pastel blue, white lace, and dark blue ribbon.

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #852 on: July 14, 2012, 01:23:13 pm »
This is the design I have drawn out for it so far. I plan to use pastel blue, white lace, and dark blue ribbon.
Mmm... I think you forgot a picture?
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #853 on: July 14, 2012, 02:07:48 pm »
XD yup

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #854 on: July 14, 2012, 07:08:57 pm »
With how that looks, I would say a circle skirt would fall better. It also looks better with a pettiecoat imo.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #855 on: July 17, 2012, 12:50:49 am »
okay necro'ing this thread because it deserves to be aliiiiiiiiiive~

anyone know anything about "return to sender" on things from Japonica? Like, have they ever gotten addresses wrong? My order barely made it to Santa Barbara before they returned it to Japonica.  :-\

Black~Rose, I'd get rid of the hanging sleeves and make them tighter. In theory they're pretty but in reality they're really annoying. Also, a lot of people side eye them because a lot of ita dresses have them.

http://www.lolitashop.us is definitely a Milanoo branch. You can tell by the background of their images; the flowers. That and the stolen photos.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #856 on: July 18, 2012, 10:46:42 am »
ita dresses?

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #857 on: July 18, 2012, 10:50:49 am »
oh I googled that phrase. Honestly I came to this thread for help on making the dress that I want. I have no desire to conform to any strict rule book for anything. To put it simply: I do what I want and I like what I like.

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #858 on: July 18, 2012, 11:00:33 am »
Aesthetically I don't mind those kind of sleeves, but yes, they are kind of obnoxious to wear (I swear, they try to get in everything). Baby and AatP do a lot of dresses with those kind of sleeves, but with a puff sleeve above. Examples:
http://hellolace.net/wardrobe/alice-and-the-pirates/type/op/item/36/
http://hellolace.net/wardrobe/alice-and-the-pirates/type/op/item/21/
http://hellolace.net/wardrobe/alice-and-the-pirates/type/op/item/19/
These are all Aatp examples, but you get the idea. I still stick by a rectangle skirt, or with the pattern I suggested above. It would be simple enough to add the sleeve extension.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:01:07 am by bunny_jean »
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #859 on: July 18, 2012, 11:07:53 am »
Yeah I got a couple patterns to work with. I'm sticking with those sleeves because I am making them small. The picture I drew is an outline I am making a small drop off ruffle sleeve around the elbow. It will be more like this http://www.simplicity.com/p-1991-costumes.aspx the dress on the bottom right is the one I'm using for the sleeves.

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #860 on: July 18, 2012, 12:06:24 pm »
Oh, I like that! That's a pretty great base pattern!
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #861 on: July 18, 2012, 12:25:08 pm »
thanks ^^ I'm using multiple patterns and then adding stuff on to my liking. It will be an interesting project lol

Offline Jothen

• Oni
« Reply #862 on: August 13, 2012, 11:02:22 am »
So ... how do I look?

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #863 on: August 13, 2012, 12:28:02 pm »
you look really cute. i love the colors o.o the necklace might be alittle to odd it draws my eyes to it alot as well

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #864 on: August 13, 2012, 04:54:08 pm »
The necklace really detracts from what would otherwise be a cute coord. You should also really practice your makeup, because what you've got going on right now is just washing you out. Those really low heels also aren't doing any favors for your legs, I would suggest something higher. Maybe some lace tights instead of the solid black as well.

Cute dress though.

Offline Jothen

• Oni
« Reply #865 on: August 13, 2012, 05:40:14 pm »
Thanks for the feedbacks.  Changed the necklace to another matching necklace/bracelet set. 

Will have some 3" round toe mary janes heels later this week, but I put on some normal 3" heels for the picture.  Are stilettos okay for this coord, I don't have any chunky heels?

No makeup in this picture.  I have no idea what I am doing with makeup.  I have watched youtube videos but that is not helping.  I think I need some one on one help or at least someone to tell me specifically what to do.

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #866 on: August 13, 2012, 06:04:39 pm »
First of all, thank you for taking criticism well. It's wonderful.
Since you are new to makeup, get some cream eyeliner (the kind with the little pot and brush, it's the easiest to apply) and some mascara and experiment. Get used to applying those because they will make your eyes immediately stand out. Have patience! Makeup is hard to learn.

I would also recommend trimming the bangs on your wig or at least not parting it down the center. What's on your head? I can see the edge of some sort of headdress but that's it.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #867 on: August 13, 2012, 06:27:27 pm »
The necklace seems almost too plain to go with such a detailed dress, maybe something more like a choker would work better? I definitely agree that you should cut the bangs on your wig though, because the way you have it parted doesn't really do favors to the shape of your face. Also, practice makeup! Everyone has to practice or else nobody would ever look good!

The taller heels are better, but if you have something with a higher heel that would probably work better. Maybe no so plain, either? The dress is very froofy with lots of lace and bows and stuff, so if you have nothing but plain things to accessorize it with it sticks out like a sore thumb instead of acting like a cohesive whole.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #868 on: August 13, 2012, 07:16:39 pm »
Heh heh. I like your dress. XD Your shoes sort of remind me of the kind I wore with my crossplays (except mine weren't stilettos!) and I had similar frilly bracelet thingies. XD

I'm prolly biased but I like it!  ;D

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline sk_chan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Rekkazor (Rekka's Cosplay Page)
« Reply #869 on: August 14, 2012, 12:26:09 pm »
Hey, I am very new to learning about the lolita community. I know that places with very cheap-looking garments can be labeled "bad", but what other things turn the lolita community off about outfits? I thought about getting a cute dress before myself, but all this information is in all honesty very intimidating. xD I'd feel like I was doing something wrong.

Also, what does the lolita community think about striped tights/socks? I've seen it done a lot in anime, but I don't know if it really reflects the actual thing.
KUMORICON 2015 COSPLAYS!

Kageyama (Haikyuu!)
Tuxedo Mask (Sailor Moon)
Karma (AssClass)
Ryuuko ep. 1 ver. (KLK)
Others...

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #870 on: August 14, 2012, 01:37:23 pm »
Hey, I am very new to learning about the lolita community. I know that places with very cheap-looking garments can be labeled "bad", but what other things turn the lolita community off about outfits? I thought about getting a cute dress before myself, but all this information is in all honesty very intimidating. xD I'd feel like I was doing something wrong.

Also, what does the lolita community think about striped tights/socks? I've seen it done a lot in anime, but I don't know if it really reflects the actual thing.
As long as everything goes together well, it really doesn't matter how much the items cost. A Lolita friend I have mostly gets her wardrobe from "loliable" finds at Goodwill, and she's adorable! Also making your own dresses can save money. My advice to newbies is to start casually, maybe a skirt or two, paired with cute T-shirts, shoes, hair bows, cardigans, etc. because you can explore the different styles and coordinates without spending a lot of money. It is very intimidating, but I think my best advice to have a good experience is to not take criticism as, "OMG YOUR OUTFIT IS BAD, HOW DARE YOU SHAME THE LOLITA STYLE." Because that's not what it is. When we give criticism, like above, it is constructive criticism, but a lot of people get butthurt about it.

TL;DR: Wear what you like, be simple, don't get butthurt about constructive criticism, have an open mind and be open to advice and improvement. :)

As for striped tights/socks, they tend to be frowned upon because they're pretty oldschool, and can go ita REALLY fast. But it all really depends on what they're paired with. For example, I'll wear my black and white striped tights with Pirate Lolita, because it goes with the Pirate aesthetic, and I've worn some red and white striped socks with a Christmas outfit, because thy looked like candy canes. It all depends. :)
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline Jothen

• Oni
« Reply #871 on: August 14, 2012, 03:52:31 pm »
What's on your head? I can see the edge of some sort of headdress but that's it.
Black head-eating alice bow

The necklace seems almost too plain to go with such a detailed dress, maybe something more like a choker would work better?
I guess the necklace will have to work for now.  Being a male, I don't have much in the way of accessories yet.

The taller heels are better, but if you have something with a higher heel that would probably work better.
I do have 5" black heels although I don't think I will survive wearing them that long.

Okay, attempted to cut bangs into the wig...
Please critique makeup and other coord.  For the other coord I will have some pink wristcuffs and the jsk probably needs to be ironed.

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #872 on: August 17, 2012, 07:46:29 pm »
While I don't see anything technically "wrong" with that outfit, It's a little boring. Lolitas are really into accessories, so add a neclkace, a ring, etc. It's the little details that make an outfit look right.

Offline sk_chan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #873 on: August 19, 2012, 11:16:50 am »
Thanks for the reply. I don't feel embarrassed now to say I have been looking at Bodyline because of budget. I decided to read up on the websites provided, and ordered some things off Bodyline. I'm more of a gothic lolita fan than other styles, so I got some black with white accented things. I am fascinated by the history of lolita, and enjoyed reading up on each style. =] Hope to see other lolitas at con.
KUMORICON 2015 COSPLAYS!

Kageyama (Haikyuu!)
Karma (AssClass)
Ryuuko ep. 1 ver. (KLK)
Others...

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #874 on: August 19, 2012, 02:27:35 pm »
Thanks for the feedbacks.  Changed the necklace to another matching necklace/bracelet set. 

Will have some 3" round toe mary janes heels later this week, but I put on some normal 3" heels for the picture.  Are stilettos okay for this coord, I don't have any chunky heels?

No makeup in this picture.  I have no idea what I am doing with makeup.  I have watched youtube videos but that is not helping.  I think I need some one on one help or at least someone to tell me specifically what to do.

looks alot better

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #875 on: August 19, 2012, 02:29:33 pm »
What's on your head? I can see the edge of some sort of headdress but that's it.
Black head-eating alice bow

The necklace seems almost too plain to go with such a detailed dress, maybe something more like a choker would work better?
I guess the necklace will have to work for now.  Being a male, I don't have much in the way of accessories yet.

The taller heels are better, but if you have something with a higher heel that would probably work better.
I do have 5" black heels although I don't think I will survive wearing them that long.

Okay, attempted to cut bangs into the wig...
Please critique makeup and other coord.  For the other coord I will have some pink wristcuffs and the jsk probably needs to be ironed.

It looks fine, Maybe alittle necklace or ring will work maybe get some stockings with some cute designes on them can make it pop alittle more its very simple just the way i like it personally to much accories can become to much and make you look sloppy or over the top as ive seen with other girls

Offline kayu1111

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #876 on: August 19, 2012, 09:09:10 pm »
So, was there to be any kind of lolita meet up this year? I remember there being a get together at a tea shop last year but I sadly didn't make it.
:: KumoriCon 2014 ::
Zenya (Sweet Pool)
Akira (Togainu no Chi)
Praxis (Starfighter)
Sabitsuki (.flow)
Kagura (Gintama)

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #877 on: August 19, 2012, 09:26:19 pm »
So, was there to be any kind of lolita meet up this year? I remember there being a get together at a tea shop last year but I sadly didn't make it.

https://www.facebook.com/events/465721783457754/
:3
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline sk_chan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #878 on: August 19, 2012, 11:12:54 pm »
What sort of accessories should go with a lolita coat? In particular, this one in black: http://www.bodyline.co.jp/bodyline/showProduct2.asp?id=5610&pageNumber=1&pageStop=stop_6&noSubType=N
What should I add? Would a choker look weird? I feel like there should be something on the neck...

Also wondering if there should be a difference in accessories when it comes to wearing coats versus dresses versus jumpers. Would a parasol look strange with a coat, for instance? =\
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 01:24:35 am by sk_chan »
KUMORICON 2015 COSPLAYS!

Kageyama (Haikyuu!)
Karma (AssClass)
Ryuuko ep. 1 ver. (KLK)
Others...

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #879 on: August 20, 2012, 01:37:12 am »
You're not going to wear just a coat as a dress, are you? You might bake or melt into a puddle on the ground. If you're dead-set on it, though, go for something like a high collar-style necklace/choker or a few longer necklaces that hang down over the front of the dress.

Accessorizing with a coat seems a little silly, though, since it's meant to be outerwear. Coats themselves are more accessories than actual dresses, and at least to me that almost seems like showing up to class wearing a windbreaker as a dress :\ if you want to wear it as a dress though, then treat it like a dress. Accessorize like you would a dress- with a nice bracelet or two, some matching hair accessories, a necklace or two and some cute shoes.

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
    • I will reject your reality and substitute it with my own...here.
« Reply #880 on: August 20, 2012, 02:14:43 am »
If any of you lolitas are interested, I'm trying to sell my Angelic Pretty Strawberry Ribbon Switching JSK in yellow. I'm looking for $200 but I will consider offers. Can ship or meet at Kcon. It comes with a cute. Offbrand bag that goes quite well with it. :) PM me!

Offline sk_chan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #881 on: August 23, 2012, 01:19:08 am »
You're not going to wear just a coat as a dress, are you? You might bake or melt into a puddle on the ground. If you're dead-set on it, though, go for something like a high collar-style necklace/choker or a few longer necklaces that hang down over the front of the dress.

Accessorizing with a coat seems a little silly, though, since it's meant to be outerwear. Coats themselves are more accessories than actual dresses, and at least to me that almost seems like showing up to class wearing a windbreaker as a dress :\ if you want to wear it as a dress though, then treat it like a dress. Accessorize like you would a dress- with a nice bracelet or two, some matching hair accessories, a necklace or two and some cute shoes.

Thinking of it that way, I can see where you're coming from. I've worn wool to con before though, and played DDR in it, so I know what it's like to bake...I may just wear lolita for a little while then change out into one of my cosplays.

I thought about getting a OP or JSK, but I wasn't drawn to the ones on Bodyline and buying a brand one was out of the question due to current funds. I think in the future I'll want to get one, though, if I can save my money for one. orz They look so pretty.

But if I do wear petticoats and a pair of bloomers underneath the coat, but no JSK or OP (instead just a shirt), is the outfit still considered lolita? (I wouldn't unbutton it.) I'm still going for the cupcake shape. No JSK or OP is visible on the model, as well. This coat just gave me a dressy feeling.

Edit: Speaking of looking at brands, I like this one by BTSSB: http://www.babyssb.co.jp/shopping/baby/jumper/136299.html =3=~ I also liked the outfits I saw in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sb1Owt7zBjw Oh and this one asdfjkgdf: http://www.babyssb.co.jp/shopping/ap/onepiece/108P306.html
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:09:51 am by sk_chan »
KUMORICON 2015 COSPLAYS!

Kageyama (Haikyuu!)
Karma (AssClass)
Ryuuko ep. 1 ver. (KLK)
Others...

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #882 on: August 23, 2012, 11:49:20 am »
I'm gonna seem like a total witch here, but a coat is not a dress. it's a coat. you wear it over a dress. when it's cold. besides, there are plenty of cute dresses on bodyline. you just didn't look hard enough.

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #883 on: August 24, 2012, 10:39:15 am »
This week I was able to go to Baby the star shine bright in Japantown San Francisco, Ca It was amazing I went with my father when he went down their for a trucking tripp i didnt get anything but it was worth the trip to go in and look at all the new iteams in the town and older one and meeting the mannager of the store and workers very friendly and worth the trip i recoment going to their store location if you guys make a trip to down there :p

Also a new lolita outfit i got awhile back when out with friends and we got some pics it was really cute

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 11:38:13 am by Titus_Love_Doll »

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #884 on: August 25, 2012, 12:44:20 pm »
Working on my lolita for Sunday of Kumoricon to wear during the Cosplay competition (not an entry; I'm the Cosplay Coordinator). Hopefully it'll be done - my ruffler is getting a serious workout.  :)

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #885 on: August 25, 2012, 01:56:28 pm »
Sorry to butt in, but I noticed no one's really commented on Jothen doing some eyeliner pencil to bring out and shape her eyes. Whether it's black, brown or the color of her wig, wouldn't just penciling them in add a nice definition and bring more attention to her eyes and face?
I remember someone telling me that eye-shadow on the eyebrows shouldn't be done because it can make them look too smokey (for a lolita look) and then fades and washes out into the face?
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #886 on: August 25, 2012, 04:11:20 pm »
Sorry to butt in, but I noticed no one's really commented on Jothen doing some eyeliner pencil to bring out and shape her eyes. Whether it's black, brown or the color of her wig, wouldn't just penciling them in add a nice definition and bring more attention to her eyes and face?
I remember someone telling me that eye-shadow on the eyebrows shouldn't be done because it can make them look too smokey (for a lolita look) and then fades and washes out into the face?

ashally I find that alittle eye shadow can do alot to one eyes and useing white on the waterline to make your eyes come out more as well can help with that as well with maybe some false eyelashes as well not sure but its be cute

Offline Jothen

• Oni
« Reply #887 on: August 25, 2012, 04:53:18 pm »

Hmm, do I look like a girl?  I must be making some progress or doing something right...
Still need more practice and experimenting on the eye makeup.

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #888 on: August 25, 2012, 05:13:50 pm »

Hmm, do I look like a girl?  I must be making some progress or doing something right...

^
you make a cute girl but so can tell you are a guy. but thats becuse most of my friends love to crossplay and cross dress and so on o.o so easy for me. and you got no bewbs - points-
yeah id try useing white eye linner on your water line and maybe go to honey color and get some bright color contacts o.o

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #889 on: August 25, 2012, 11:46:50 pm »

I would definitely try some fake eyelashes though. They're a pain to learn how to use, but they can do wonders. *_*
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline Jothen

• Oni
« Reply #890 on: August 27, 2012, 05:44:06 pm »
you make a cute girl but so can tell you are a guy. but thats becuse most of my friends love to crossplay and cross dress and so on o.o so easy for me. and you got no bewbs - points-
Yeah, between the blouse and jsk it masks the small cup size.  Not sure what the max bust size of the pink jsk is, but I don't think I can go that much bigger.

I would definitely try some fake eyelashes though. They're a pain to learn how to use, but they can do wonders. *_*
I do have some falsies I can attempt to use.

Should I take off glasses for pictures?  I've got an underbust corset, should I wear it underneath or am I going to burn up?

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #891 on: August 27, 2012, 06:06:56 pm »
wear it underneath

can we just be best friends! corsets are underwear!

actually answering your question, it's up to you. If you like the look of the corset under, wear it. But you don't have to.

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #892 on: August 27, 2012, 07:52:07 pm »
Yeah, between the blouse and jsk it masks the small cup size.  Not sure what the max bust size of the pink jsk is, but I don't think I can go that much bigger.

I do have some falsies I can attempt to use.

Should I take off glasses for pictures?  I've got an underbust corset, should I wear it underneath or am I going to burn up?

Ashally glasses are way cute >< on you

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #893 on: August 29, 2012, 07:03:59 am »
Last night I finished my Lolita dress! Yahoo   ;D
I still have to make the headpiece. I have only scraps left - it took about 6 yards of fabric and 24 yds of ribbon. The dress - without ruffles - took only 2 1/2 yards. The rest of the fabric was all sucked up in ruffles.

Did I mention I LOVE my ruffler?   :)
I'll be wearing it Sunday all day (since I'm running cosplay).  watch for it.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #894 on: August 29, 2012, 11:44:13 am »
Oh boy, ruffles! What style is the dress- classic, sweet, gothic?

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #895 on: August 29, 2012, 12:16:25 pm »
Oh boy, ruffles! What style is the dress- classic, sweet, gothic?

I think it's a gothic hybrid. Burgundy embroidered fabric (it's a synthetic duplioni w/ black threads on warp and red on weft making the net effect a very dark red / burgundy color). Shoulder princess seams, circle skirt, round neckline, ribbon cris-crossing front from chest to waist, rounded pockets w/ ribbon bow, and RUFFLES!!!!  Still deciding on shoes / socks to wear with it - mostly because I'll be on my feet all day, I really need practical ones. Likely, I stuff a spare pair of shoes in my bag to switch into.