Author Topic: Cosplay Fashion Show?  (Read 18177 times)

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
Cosplay Fashion Show?
« on: June 11, 2009, 08:09:54 pm »
 Would people and Kumoricon be interested in a cosplay fashion show? Because our group was talking and we've looked around at the forums and it seems allot of attendees wanted a separate cosplay event for showing off their outfits rather than waiting forever in the back with the cosplay skit contest. So what do people think about a separate event just for cosplay outfits?
 A separate event would cut down the time on the cosplay contest giving more time for skits and the event would give more people to show off their cosplays. What we could do even is make it half cosplay fashion contest half just show off your cosplay. For judges we were thinking maybe the ones who usually do the costume judging at the cosplay skit contest.
 Also we could run it if nobody wants too, because this event will only need a stage for the models to walk on, pose, and then leave. As well as some awesome music to pose with, lol.
 Anyways what does everyone think? complaints, suggestions? please post away. ^_^

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: Cosplay Fashion Show?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 10:12:25 pm »
I like the idea, but would it only be for homemade costumes?

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 10:29:54 pm »
I love the idea! I really like it as this is the aspect of a Cosplay Contest I enjoy. I have never liked the idea of skits and all that jazz. I just want a cosplay contest to be about the costume, so this sounds awesome to me. ^_^ I can't say I'd run it or anything, but I'd love to see it and I'd definitely participate if it were at Kumoricon.

I like the idea, but would it only be for homemade costumes?

And I can't answer for BangBangNeko, but I'll say that from what I've gathered of cosplay contest that emphasize the costume (without skits, etc) they usually have to be predominantly home-made. But, this could be an exception. *shrug*

I know even Kumoricon's Cosplay Contest as it is now requires at least 50% creation, I thought, maybe more than that, maybe 60.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 10:31:27 pm by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 10:37:14 pm »
I figured that but it was worth asking :P

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 10:46:21 pm »
Yeah, don't take my word for it, though. They could totally be open to purchased costumes. I have no idea.  :)

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 01:37:25 am »
contest for homemade
show off all other costumes

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 08:31:39 am »
So we could show off costumes just not win anything? I have a costume that I bought but and altering it, not enough to call it homemade though =/

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 08:43:03 am »
Well at least you'd have the pride of being seen in your costume, lol

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 08:54:34 am »
I would like this, the thing that pushes me off the cosplay contest is having to sit though all the skits. I hate to sound like a jerk, but I really dislike anime convention skits and I don't want to have to listen to 2 hours of them just so I can stand on stage for a minute.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 09:08:55 am »
Yeah tell me about it.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 12:43:03 pm »
I would like this, the thing that pushes me off the cosplay contest is having to sit though all the skits. I hate to sound like a jerk, but I really dislike anime convention skits and I don't want to have to listen to 2 hours of them just so I can stand on stage for a minute.

Exactly. That's why I think this idea sounds pretty cool. Cut out the "other stuff".

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 02:24:51 pm »
It just didn't seem right to me that a cosplay contest has skits....when I heard of it I only thought of walk-ons and nothing else.

Offline Sayda

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art.
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 03:00:00 pm »
This does sound cool. I've never seen any of the skits or gone to the contests, but I know that it's a long drawn out process which is usually boring, unfortunately.
AX :
- Seras Victoria (Hellsing)
- Axel (Kingdom Hearts II)
- Debut Cosplay

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 03:08:46 pm »
Yeah, when I had first heard of the cosplay contest, I thought it was what it was called, but then I looked up videos on youtube and read about it from year to year and heard only about skits. It does seem odd that they would be considered one and the same, skits and cosplay. Excluding one or two well-established groups, the skits idea has never interested me. It did always seem like an odd requirement and standard. Always took up way too much time also, prep-work as well as the actual event. This sounds like it would be much simpler and more enjoyable.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 06:48:40 pm »
I'm glad to hear support for this event ^_^
 For the contest portion I think we'll keep it to the same as the cosplay contest 50% hand-made. Just so it's fair and we don't get people saying they made it and really didn't. But please don't think that if you don't have a handmade outfit you can't show it off. Please do, we'll take anybody for the walk-on part. Because really cosplay is just about having fun really. ^_^ So please keep up with the questions or suggestions, we'd love to hear from people.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 04:55:15 am »
Thanks for the clarification, BBN! This sounds really fun and I hope to see it come to fruition and participate!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 05:53:02 am »
I would totally do it with Kuja ;D

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 08:42:00 am »
Yeah, I have wanted to enter my Barret into a cosplay contest for a couple years, so I'd definitely do it for this.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2009, 09:04:44 am »
Would this event do the same thing when it comes to judging as the cosplay contest? Like Novice, Advanced, Masters categories? (I don't know if that is the actual names for them or not) If not I think it may be good idea to think about that since it might put off some people to join if they are going up against a seasoned costume maker. I don't even know how you would get put in to either category though so I might just be blabbing about nothing that can happen.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 10:33:07 am »
Well like the Kumoricon cosplay contest, the entrants choose which section they want to be judged in, so they can decide their own "skill level" as it were. I agree that that is one of the better ideas from Kumoricon's Cosplay Contest, sounds good to me.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 09:36:20 pm »
Or maybe there could be categories on like amount self-made? :0  Like 50% (altered clothes) 70-80% (half of the costume ordered or bought specifically for the cosplay) 90% (sans accessories? I dunno about this one) and 100%? Or... something like that, I dunno.
And costumes would need to be pre-approved online and such.

I would seriously love this sort of thing. Maybe even join it. I remember the one year I attended the cosplay contests, there were only two people (I think?) that did catwalk things or whatever. It made me sad >: I suppose the other people didn't do it because it would feel... More.... Well, it would seem like there'd be little chance that they'd win, or it'd feel more embarrassing since the crowd seemed to come for the skits.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2009, 10:32:43 pm »
I like that idea Hazuza

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 06:01:38 pm »
You know, the cosplay contest does have - and has always had -- a costume competition part. Entries into cosplay contest are Costume only, skit & costume or Skit only. The costumes and skits are judged separately. Those who choose to do costume only get to walk across the stage (similar to fashion show) to show off their costumes. Usually, the walk-ons go first, then the skits.

It actually takes up far less time than other convention's cosplay competitions. First, we don't lock you in a room all day forcing you to suffer thru all the other entries. You come to an initial meeting, sign up for a time for costume judging (if applicable) & a time for skit technical rehearsal (if applicable) then wander off until shortly before the time(s) you signed up for... then, of course, you will have to go to the green room just prior to the Cosplay event itself to line up in preparation to go on stage.

If you're just doing a skit, then any source of costume is fine.

Requirements for costume judging is that at least 50% is made by you. The point of this is because when judging costumes, we're examining the quality of the construction of the costume based upon the entrant's experience (novice, journeyman, master) and age bracket (youth, minor, adult).

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 06:03:58 pm »
Yeah we know that. This is for only looking at costumes. Did you fully read the first post. They want to show off costumes without waiting for skits. Going through the whole progress even before the show takes forever because of the skits. I think their plan was to kinda have this like a runway show. No skits at all, just pure costumes.

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 06:53:54 pm »
Yeah, and even if you didn't have to wait the whole time backstage, the audience would have to wait, since they wouldn't know when the skit portion would be over. A majority of the audience attending would be uninterested during either part, so why not just make it separate and please everyone?

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 07:07:25 pm »
I am more interested in walk ons during the contest then the skits. I think it would be great to have a runway show. If I did this I would have to learn how to do a runway walk XD

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2009, 07:34:44 pm »
fff I doubt many people would actually do that xD
I remember one of Jin's entries in a cosplay contest, she kinda just flashed around her sword, showed off some poses, and in the end, broke and ripped off her hollow mask :'D (er... on purpose, for effect) For something like this, it'd be better to do something more in-character than just a walk.

Unless you character actually is a model like in Paradise Kiss or something. o_o
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 07:38:06 pm by Hazuza »

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2009, 08:00:48 pm »
Yeah that would work too....but Kuja would most likely do a walk like that XD

Offline zelda856974

• Cabbit
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2009, 04:36:40 pm »
I would love to support this event! I think we should seperate the cosplays into sections like from what anime/video game, males then females or vice-versa. Also we could make it into a "american idol" style if anyone wants to do that... :-\
Modern!Fem!Italy - 0% Need help with this!!!
Fem!America - 80%
Misty - 75%

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2009, 12:05:53 pm »
sounds like fun : ) I might join in
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2009, 02:56:31 pm »
I would love to support this event! I think we should seperate the cosplays into sections like from what anime/video game, males then females or vice-versa. Also we could make it into a "american idol" style if anyone wants to do that... :-\
I dunno about separating it into too many categories, since... Well then, nearly everyone would win. And I'm not sure about gender either; everyone can crossplay, although girls do it best *3* It might end up a little sexist. It'd be best to just separate by difficulty I suppose.

'American Idol' style as in judging right xD? Heh, I'm not too sure how that would work. Some cosplayers wouldn't have the guts to have their work being broken down or torn apart on stage, if its an honest critique. Behind-the-scenes judging and examination works good... If there are judges on-stage, they would probably have to stick to pointing out only good points, unless they wanted the cosplayer and their friends in the audience to get on their bad side *_*

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2009, 01:02:46 am »
These are all really great ideas and thoughts everyone. Hopefully this event will happen, but looking around I think it will.  ;)
zelda856974: Thank you for your support  :) the more people we can get to back this up then it's likely to happen. I've read through suggestions and as lovely as they are there are some which could not be possible. Like Hazuza said if we spilt it up to much then everyones a winner, lol which I like the thought of. But then you have to consider the money for prizes it would take to buy for everyone O.O and the more work it is to orgainze everyone into each group. So if we keep it to the simple novice, journeyman, master and a best of show kinda thing or audiences favorite, etc. Then it makes it easier for the people running the event, and easier to judge.
lol I do like the idea of a "American Idol" thing which is kinda what we do at our panel ;)*interested plug*. Anyways, but if we do I know some people can be very sensitive maybe if we asked people before hand if it's ok. It wouldn't be a "real" american idol thing where they just tear the poor people a part. But something as a joke, to keep the audience excited and on their feet.

I've been also reading that everyone thinks the cosplayers should be in character as they walk. Which is awesome and could even be made into a judging category " how in character are they" kinda thing.

Thank you everyone for your support again, let's keep this topic going! ^_^
~BangBangNeko

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2009, 01:56:07 am »
I like the idea of this thing. I don't really have any ideas to add, but I just wanted to inform ya that I'd be interested in this.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline zelda856974

• Cabbit
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2009, 04:56:34 pm »
These are all really great ideas and thoughts everyone. Hopefully this event will happen, but looking around I think it will.  ;)
zelda856974: Thank you for your support  :) the more people we can get to back this up then it's likely to happen. I've read through suggestions and as lovely as they are there are some which could not be possible. Like Hazuza said if we spilt it up to much then everyones a winner, lol which I like the thought of. But then you have to consider the money for prizes it would take to buy for everyone O.O and the more work it is to orgainze everyone into each group. So if we keep it to the simple novice, journeyman, master and a best of show kinda thing or audiences favorite, etc. Then it makes it easier for the people running the event, and easier to judge.
lol I do like the idea of a "American Idol" thing which is kinda what we do at our panel ;)*interested plug*. Anyways, but if we do I know some people can be very sensitive maybe if we asked people before hand if it's ok. It wouldn't be a "real" american idol thing where they just tear the poor people a part. But something as a joke, to keep the audience excited and on their feet.

I've been also reading that everyone thinks the cosplayers should be in character as they walk. Which is awesome and could even be made into a judging category " how in character are they" kinda thing.

Thank you everyone for your support again, let's keep this topic going! ^_^
~BangBangNeko

Yes I do think that it should be with jugdes also...we could have the fake british accents and everything
Modern!Fem!Italy - 0% Need help with this!!!
Fem!America - 80%
Misty - 75%

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2009, 10:38:41 pm »
Well everyone guess what...... the cosplay fashion may happen this year. ;D It won't be a official event but a event nether less. I'm still discussing it with Jaki, which everyone should thank. Because she's working her hardest in making this dream become reality. Where cosplay skits and cosplay become two different things, if this goes over well I'll be posting information about how to sign up in the cosplay section and here.
Thank you everyone for your support :D
~BangBangNeko

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2009, 10:42:49 pm »
I hope it does go through. I much rather watch this.

oslapedo

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2009, 10:45:33 pm »
This would be so cool! Best of luck~ :-3

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2009, 07:46:17 am »
oooh i realy hope this goes threw, id love to participate
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2009, 10:37:57 pm »
Ok so it's still not official but I wanted to get a head start on letting people enter. So below I've made up a little form for people to fill out and send to; bangbangneko@yahoo.com.
(We'll know after this weekend what and if the cosplay fashion show will be.)

Cosplay Fashion Form
Name:
Forum username:
Email:
Cosplay your going to wear:
Whats is your favorite part of the costume?:
How long have you been cosplaying?:

* There will be no costume judging for this event this year. Sorry but we will still have prizes for cosplayers, it's just not going to be like the cosplay contest style. It'll be more of audiences favorite, how in character you are and etc.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 11:50:51 pm by BangBangNeko »

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2009, 08:54:40 am »
Yay, form to fill out! ^_^

Just wondering, is there any day or time you are leaning towards for this? (As with everything else, I need to make sure it works around my photo shoot schedule.)

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2009, 09:07:17 am »
I will wait on this and enter Albel. Hopefully you will have it next year.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2009, 09:31:31 am »
remember - the regular cosplay event does include costume competition (costume only entry ) as well as skits. If you enter costume only, you just have to show up at the time for costume judging, you do NOT have to go to the tech rehearsal AND the walk-ons go on stage first, so you can leave the room as soon as you're done if you don't want to sit through the skits. The walk-on bit is essentially walk across the stage and strike a few poses.

Also, even if the fashion show does happen officially next year, there is no restriction prohibiting people from entering both competitions.  :D

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2009, 03:43:27 pm »
Okay, just to clarify, since we have a bunch of different cosplay events posting around the forums:

The Cosplay Contest is the only official cosplay event, meaning that prizes are awarded, and they are the good stuff the con gets :)

The Cosplay Fashion Show is an unofficial event, being hosted by the super awesome BangBangNeko who wanted to take it on.  It's a possibility that it could turn into a more official event next year, depending on interest.  Any prizes awarded will be of the more "just for fun" cheesy kind (not the cool swag, sorry).

There's no reason you can't enter both.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2009, 06:46:09 pm »
Okay, just to clarify, since we have a bunch of different cosplay events posting around the forums:

The Cosplay Contest is the only official cosplay event, meaning that prizes are awarded, and they are the good stuff the con gets :)

The Cosplay Fashion Show is an unofficial event, being hosted by the super awesome BangBangNeko who wanted to take it on.  It's a possibility that it could turn into a more official event next year, depending on interest.  Any prizes awarded will be of the more "just for fun" cheesy kind (not the cool swag, sorry).

There's no reason you can't enter both.
Thank you for clarifying this, this event was created with the thought so it's possible for people to show off there cosplay even if there competing in the cosplay contest. That way people won't feel they have to sacrifice one cosplay for another just for the skits. Which I know happens allot and is most likely why there isn't many walk ons. It was also created so people that didn't make there costumes can still have the awesome experience of showing them off like in the cosplay contest.

So please if you want to enter the cosplay contest PLEASE DO! I would hate for this event be in a fight against cosplay contests because we love both . But we wanted to try something new, and we've heard many people for man years saying they wanted this kind of event so here it is.

lol You don't know how excited we are to run this. ^_^

Anyways as far as turn in dates, I'll be accepting them until August 20. After that you'll have to bring them with you to the event or pre-meeting (if we have one)

Thank you everyone
~BangBangNeko

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2009, 12:00:46 am »
Ok so it's official the Cosplay Fashion Show is a go!  BangBangNeko which us, will be hosting a cosplay fashion show on Sat in the main events room. Time is still being worked around, but if you'd like to join GO RIGHT AHEAD!!. The cosplay fashion show is open to any level, any age and any kind of cosplay. Just fill out the form below and email it to bangbangneko@yahoo.com before August 20.
There will be prizes ( cheesy prizes but still prizes lol)
So if you have any questions go right ahead and ask them, will be happy to answer them. ^_^ Hope to see many cosplayers, because we want this event to grow and become a OFFICIAL event next year.

Many thanks~
BangBangNeko

*For times and such for pre-meeting and walk through we will email and post them here in the forum.*
Cosplay Fashion Form
Name:
Forum username:
Email:
Cosplay your going to wear:
Whats is your favorite part of the costume?:
How long have you been cosplaying?:
* There will be no costume judging for this event this year. Sorry but we will still have prizes for cosplayers, it's just not going to be like the cosplay contest style. It'll be more of audiences favorite, how in character you are and etc.