Author Topic: An odd idea  (Read 10899 times)

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
An odd idea
« on: November 10, 2004, 07:53:30 pm »
Today I was watching the Ellen show and saw she had a section where she went to someplace that had invited her. (she didn't have it on today, but she mentioned she would be doing it soon)

She mentioned that the segments would be, like, parties and things, so here's my idea--why not invite her to KumoriCon? I think it would be really funny, given her quirky view on things.

Anyone have any idea how to send an invite to her?

Difficult subject ...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 04:58:33 pm »
Is it possible that some people might find Ellen objectionable and possibly offensive ... ?

Offline zenix

• Chibi
An odd idea
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 05:51:22 pm »
i dont like the though of a real famous person coming to kumoricon just becuase of the number of non anime fans that would show up

i dont know what people would find offensive about her  becuase there alrdy tends to be a larger then norm by/lez/gay merchidise and other things of that nature

like the kissing ninja thing that happen

Offline Nyco27

• Chibi
An odd idea
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 07:02:55 pm »
like the kissing ninja thing that happen

O.O what kissing ninja thing? Did I miss yaoi ninja kissing action, cuz if I did Im gonna cry.

Nyco
Kumoricon Programming Director 2006, 2007
Cosplay Manager 2006
Kumoricon RPG Coordinator '03 - '05

Long live the D12!

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
An odd idea
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 07:46:29 pm »
My guess is that they're referring to the inappropriate kissing stuff going on in a couple of the halls (when people were holding signs up and such)

PezCat
Sixty pounds lighter, just as awesome.
2K3-2K7: Various staff, primarily RPGs and Registration
2K12: God only knows...

=^..^=

• Bunnygirl
Re: Difficult subject ...
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 09:19:55 pm »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
Is it possible that some people might find Ellen objectionable and possibly offensive ... ?

If you're not going to say who you are, we're not going to listen to you.

Besides, if you're refering to her coming out, that's old news. And seriously, watch her show--when was the last comment she made about it? There's a lot more to talk about that someone's sexuality, you know.

Offline Nyco27

• Chibi
An odd idea
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 09:24:14 pm »
Hey, blackjack, no need to be rude, maybe someone's login isnt working? Maybe a parent won't let them sign in, there are a lot of reasons why someone could sign in as a guest. I know Guy does it all the time and we still listen to *him* we should afford this person the same, and equal rights, and there's no reason to bite their head off.

Along those lines, we do encourage people to get an account and sign in, it helps us recognize who you are in our community, and know how many people are on the boards, so if you can, that would be great, if not, don't sweat it.

Nyco
Cosplay Manager 2006

Long live the D12!

Offline Geirr

• Sailor Scout
Ellen @ Kumoricn
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 02:21:40 pm »
OK - this is Guy here.

First of all, if you've watched any reasonably diverse selection of anime you will see stuff FAR more varied than gets discussed on a daytime talk show in the US. Hint: "Gravitation?" "Kyo kara Maou." You get the picture.

Me, I'm open to just about anything that doesn't hurt or constrain me physically, or doesn't try to force what *they* believe on me; as long as I'm not forced or participate or socially forced to act like I agree. And if I don't like it I'm supposed to be free to walk away and try another converation - no hard feelings all around. But sooner or later we will all run into someone who is appalled at what we believe. The question is, can each of us still have a challenging game of shogi with that person? Can we cooperate, and even have fun and fellowship in other realms where our enthusiams are in common, and our conflicting beliefs are irrelevant?

I spent 3 years in southern Indiana (help! - they had cross-burnings in that county!) I also remember the time I met someone who was a Holocaust denier - You can't ram your reality down their throat because it's not reality to them. I just answered truthfully "I dont' know about that,"  or "I disagree,"  when I had countervailing facts. Now, what if that guy were an anime fan - do we turn him away, even if he likes Macross Zero? No - you can have fun, and he can have fun; with a little social sensitivity he'll learn not to spout off things that turn most people off, and you'll learn not to bring up stuff about Kaballistic symbols in 'Evangelion' around him because you'll learn that that sets him off and creates a hall-crater of people trying to disengage, be somewhere else, and NOT participate.

Anyways, MY 2-cents would be:

(a) a celebrity like Ellen, or Oprah, or whoever, quirky and fun or not, might expect GOBS of $$$ as a speaking fee, or a showing-up fee. Nicole Kidman just got more mollah to do a Chanel commercial than she got for some of her earlier feature films.

(b) I agree with the person who mentioned that a non-anime based celebrity would draw a lot of people who aren't "about" anime or its reasonably related subjects (gaming and game characters, J-pop, traditional Japanese culture, etc) What does Ellen have to do with anime?

OK, my $0.02.

- G

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
An odd idea
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 03:36:36 pm »
personally, i want to thank you, blackjack, for continuing to have our con in the front of your mind so far in advance of the next con, and for being creative in brainstorming ideas that might add to publicity and popularity of our con. perhaps you might bring your idea to the director of relations (sean: QEvil) and/or the director of publicity (val; i don't know if she is yet on the forums, nor her forum name if she is).  each of these departments has staff and volunteers who would be sort of delegated the responsibility to decide to which forms of media and which, if any, media personalities we did outreach.

personally i believe that if we  were to limit our publicity and outreach to anime-specific outlets, we would be painting ourselves into a little niche corner and limiting our potential growth.

i mean really, how many articles had the oregonian done on anime, before they covered us and gave us a quantum leap up in last-second registrations?

given that ellen used to have a gig on mtv (which i used to enjoy), she has had involvement in various forms of pop culture that the anime community also has adopted (e.g., AMV's). moreover, her role as an out queer icon endears her to various other communities viewed as subcultures, and, i imagine, may endear to her, other communities viewed as subcultures.

i have no attachment to blackjack's suggestion, but i think it is kind of a cute one. and what a coup it would be if we could get national, nay, international television exposure for our con in only our 3rd year!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

• Bunnygirl
Re: Ellen @ Kumoricn
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 04:17:56 pm »
Quote from: "Geirr"

(b) I agree with the person who mentioned that a non-anime based celebrity would draw a lot of people who aren't "about" anime or its reasonably related subjects (gaming and game characters, J-pop, traditional Japanese culture, etc) What does Ellen have to do with anime?

OK, my $0.02.

- G

Well, what does she have to do with random parties? But that's the main focus of her RSVP segment.

And as for the login problem--usually if that's the case, someone will leave their name.

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
An odd idea
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 07:44:29 pm »
That does sound like a fun idea, but I agree with the two posts about the publicity a possible Ellen visit would draw. I can honestly see the local Portland news stations doing a story on the visit, and not mentioning the con at all, that and with the way people in Portland like to protest...

[size=9]"I laughed, I cried, I died; inside."[/size]

• Bunnygirl
An odd idea
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2004, 09:00:36 pm »
See, I don't think that would happen. We have celebrity visits all the time and they're usually not mentioned anywhere. Which is how we miss out on things (seriously, WHO knew that Dave Barry was coming to Powells?)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
An odd idea
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2004, 09:54:41 pm »
ironically, when i returned to work right after posting in this thread, my client started watching "finding nemo," which i love. and it dawned on me: ellen degeneres actually would have another logical tie-in; she provided one of the best-loved voice-overs in any animated feature of all time. albeit that it wasn't anime, i just loved her as "dorie" in "nemo". if we had a voiceover artist as a guest speaker, ellen would be the logical person to interview him or her. seriously. just think about it! what a coup that would be. wow!
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

• Bunnygirl
An odd idea
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2004, 11:43:44 pm »
Heehee! That would be interesting.

And you know, in all honesty, I'd rather have a quirky comedian cover the con than a newscaster with no sense of humor. News coverage of sci fi cons always seems to have an edge to it like 'well, that's what the dorks are doing this weekend...'

I know the late night shows tend to make fun of sci fi cons, but it's a loving sort of way (most of the time anyway).

Offline zenix

• Chibi
An odd idea
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2004, 12:09:16 am »
how about george carlin :P

then if we have any problems i sure he could cut them to size

o and this was sarcasam

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
An odd idea
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2004, 05:16:19 pm »
I don't mean to be rude, but what does Ellen have to do with anime, manga, or Japanese culture?

Sure she's funny, but so are my friends at school, and they don't get invited to Cons.  I think we should stick to more con themed guests, that actually have something to do with what the Con is about.
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

• Bunnygirl
An odd idea
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2004, 12:36:20 am »
I already said nothing, but she has nothing to do with the other things she gets invited to either.

It was just a funny thought.

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
An odd idea
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2004, 05:10:38 pm »
Personally I'd rather see a guest that does have something to do with what the con is about than a guest who doesn't. Isn't this part of why some of us go to conventions?

[size=9]"I laughed, I cried, I died; inside."[/size]

Offline Nyco27

• Chibi
An odd idea
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2004, 12:41:46 pm »
Frodo, I completely agree with you. I would rather us focus on Japanese culture and background than invite someone who could bring in a lot of people to the con that are there to just see her.

When it comes to Ellen going to random parties, sorry to be so terse but, good for her. She can do whatever she wants with her life, I'm down with that. I just don't see a point in bringing her to our con, and I don't see how her accepting invitations to "random parties" has any basis for your argument Blackjack.

Also, coming from someone who sat behind the reg. desk most of the con who had do deal with the heartbreak of turning people away: if we ended up having the same problem as last year and had to close our doors at one point or another, and I knew it I had to turn away die hard anime fans because too many Ellen lovers were there for her more than the anime I would completely breakdown, if not leave the con entirely.
Cosplay Manager 2006

Long live the D12!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
An odd idea
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2004, 03:47:35 pm »
oy vey, folks. personally, her at least having done voice over in a prominent piece of animation makes her a more related member of news/talk media than almost any other; and it wasn't about inviting her to be a presenter, but about inviting her to be someone who covered the event to publicize it. let's also refrain from jumping down the throats of con guests who make friendly suggestions.

Offline reyn_grey

• Cabbit
    • http://photos.yahoo.com/runningwest
An odd idea
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2005, 03:33:37 pm »
Just some info (I helped out with the 2003 Mars Society Conference in Eugene)

getting a big name person is HARD
A) finding ways to contact them is usually difficult

B) the majority want speaking fees, plus for you to pay for all their expenses (i.e. food, hotel (and they'll want a NICE room, like think suite,) travel costs and all that for the people they bring with them (like spouse/partner, kids, and most have their own security people) Some will be nice to poor broke organizations and not ask for speaking fees, but I've yet to hear of one who didn't want hotel, food and transportation costs

C) it's already REALLY late to try and get big-name, most have their year's schedualed by end of January (sometimes well before then) and they just don't have time (we almost had Carrie-Ann Moss, Trinity from Matrix at the Mars Society Conference, as well as Tom Hanks but they were both booked)

D) you get a lot of publicity (good thing) but then you have to deal with LOTS of reporters (the LOTS depending on how big name you get) that can be a very pain in the rear

E)security security security (you get LOTS of weirdos with big name peoples)

Why would you want a big name? Like to give a speech? Do the awards part? Kumoricon will be my first anime convention so I'm kinda ignorant on all that goes on.