Author Topic: Cosplay/ convention/ anime Pet Peeve.. we all have 'em, so whats yours?  (Read 58949 times)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: Cosplay/ convention/ anime Pet Peeve.. we all have 'em, so whats yours?
« Reply #250 on: September 10, 2009, 10:06:24 pm »
Carmelldansen: My friend was within seconds of punching a girl who got TOO BLEEPING CLOSE. It really ruined her day to have someone she didn't even know get up in her face. Moral of the story: If people aren't joining in, don't penetrate their personal bubble to encourage them to do so.

I wish people would do the whole dance rather than just the annoying two seconds that some people do.  If you're gonna do it, do it.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #251 on: September 10, 2009, 10:17:11 pm »
My really weird pet peeve:

The awkward aspect of photo-taking. I feel like I'm being pushy if I ask someone with a great costume for more than one photo. But at the same time, I feel like I'm being arrogant if I ask someone who's taking a photo of me if they would want more than one pose - even if they've said they love the costume.

One of these days I'd like to figure out where the happy medium is between those two feelings. (^_^)

Become photography staff and just ask "for a FEW photos"

or just do that in general- just let them know that you will be asking for a few photos.

I'm glad that you don't feel awkward asking for a few photos. (^_^)

But like I said, I feel like I'm being pushy by asking. Probably just my own little quirk.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #252 on: September 10, 2009, 10:19:44 pm »
yeah don't worry about it, I felt that way for awhile then I realized they WANT to be photographed anyways and that my love of the camera was more strong then my fear of being a bit pushy.

Tl;dr- dont worry about it for now.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #253 on: September 10, 2009, 10:36:10 pm »
I'd love to get a sweet camera that'd allow me to take hundreds of pics for a con; I really hate having to go with a disposable camera and only getting 26 pictures.

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #254 on: September 10, 2009, 10:45:37 pm »
I'd love to get a sweet camera that'd allow me to take hundreds of pics for a con; I really hate having to go with a disposable camera and only getting 26 pictures.

a simple Nikon/Canon point and shoot can run you 100-200 for the higher end ones, get a cheapo four gig card for 20 bucks on Amazon and BAM you got it there.

just make sure you have a camera you LIKE.

Oh don't get me started on this, I can make an entire post about cameras.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 10:50:11 pm by Mr Silmero »

Offline Sakis01

• Catgirl
    • Myspace profile :)
« Reply #255 on: September 11, 2009, 03:28:58 am »
NEW PET PEEVE: People who disregard other cosplayers/skits when they have no reason to.
I had some of those behind me during one of the Cosplay Competitions. They were sooooo annoying!

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #256 on: September 13, 2009, 03:35:18 pm »
1. It really annoys me when people complain about American graphic novels and call them American manga and talk about how much they hate them. The only thing different between them are where they were made. I mean are we not aloud to make comic books that have 100+ pages or something. Because if thats the case then thats just stupid.

I hope to become a Graphic Novelist someday. and Im going to publish original stories. and if people cant except that I'm American then screw them.

2. Another thing is the people that say "I HATE DUBS, IT RUINS THE ANIME SO I DONT LIKE IT ANYMORE!!!11 D<D<D<" ... I mean its ok to not like dubs. Just watch the subs. But when you say "it ruins the anime" Its still the same story and characters (except 4Kids sometimes) just watch the subs. nothing has changed. Hate is a very strong word.

3. I also dont like it when people complain about American Artists and say that Japanese artists are better. I mean anyone can be an artist no matter what country you come from. It has nothing to do with where you live it just has to do with your talents, abilities and junk : P

... lets just cut this short and say My Pet Peeve is "Weebos".
'16 Cosplay
Suzuya (Tokyo Ghoul) // Magic!Betty (Adventure Time)

Offline Rushifa

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Sewing Madness
« Reply #257 on: September 13, 2009, 06:28:31 pm »
One of my costuming pet-peeves is when someones has spent obvious time on their outfit, but doesn't even really true to get the hair right.  I realize that sometimes we run out of time, or money, or energy, or our wigs get lost in the mail or end up the wrong color, but it just makes me so sad for the costumer.  They got so close only to miss out on one of the most important parts about overall character appearance.  This especially irks me when someone has long, straight, unshaped hair, and thinks it will work for any long haired character regardless of style.  9 times out of 10, our real hair just doesn't have the volume or shape of these crazy characters we adore, at least not without a lot of work.

Another pet-peeve is when people spend lots of time on making a costume but didn't bother to make sure it would actually fit them.  So they have a costume that they spent lots of time and energy on, but it looks cheap and thrown together.  It makes me sad.

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #258 on: September 13, 2009, 11:39:06 pm »
New pet peeve... congoers that do not know the meaning of PERSONAL SPACE. I mean, it's a con, so for the most part it's a given that people will be close and there are a lot of huggy people. I'm fine with hugs, but at both this con and last years con, I was kissed by someone I had not met before; not even online without any real warning! I have a hard time standing up for myself a lot, so I said nothing... but seriously; the most uncomfortable things I've experienced at cons were from people who didn't know what a 'boundary' is. There is a fine line between goofing around/ acting in character and sexual harassment; it was crossed. >.<
KumoriCon 2012

Offline Rexyisashark

• Cabbit
    • Rexyisashark's DeviantART.
« Reply #259 on: October 22, 2009, 08:15:51 pm »
Well, I'm not really even sure if this'd count in here, but it does relate to anime, so I think it's close enough.

You know how some AMV's will have the dubbing at the bottom of the screen from the original anime used?  I don't really care if the creator prefers watching anime in Japanese & reading little words on the screen; it's nice sometimes.  However, if you're going to make an AMV, don't have subtitles.  They're distracting, and sometimes they take away from the effect of the AMV.  It shouldn't be a big deal to get rid of them when you're gonna have fragments of scenes displayed while a song is playing.  It's just illogical and annoying.  Have them when you watch anime, I don't care about that; please get rd of them while making AMV's, though.  PLease?

I agree! But you have to remember, sometimes it helps.

For example, I watched an AMV once that was piano, and they used one or two scenes with the dialogue still on the bottom, and it worked because the dialogue made sense with the way they were setting the mood in the video.

I hope that made sense. That entire sentence sounded weird to me.
Sakura | Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles | 100%

Princess Fuse | Okami | 90%

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #260 on: October 28, 2009, 10:10:27 am »
New pet peeve... congoers that do not know the meaning of PERSONAL SPACE. I mean, it's a con, so for the most part it's a given that people will be close and there are a lot of huggy people. I'm fine with hugs, but at both this con and last years con, I was kissed by someone I had not met before; not even online without any real warning! I have a hard time standing up for myself a lot, so I said nothing... but seriously; the most uncomfortable things I've experienced at cons were from people who didn't know what a 'boundary' is. There is a fine line between goofing around/ acting in character and sexual harassment; it was crossed. >.<
YES! Also people that don't have manners but that isn't just for conventions >_>

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #261 on: October 28, 2009, 11:07:42 am »
I hate people who complain "That's not anime!" and point at some random swag or costume. Especially when they are pointing out video game characters. This is an anime convention so they obviously love anime, don't make a big deal about what they decided to wear. Just enjoy time around other fans.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #262 on: October 28, 2009, 11:54:41 am »
I have never heard that before. The large majority of my costumes are video game characters XD

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #263 on: October 28, 2009, 12:17:12 pm »
I have never heard that before. The large majority of my costumes are video game characters XD

Watch the youtube video I made of the 2008 pre-reg line. There's a kid who calls out "Mario's not anime!".
See what happens.  ;)
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #264 on: October 28, 2009, 12:38:15 pm »
wow that would suck. I would punch him in the face :D

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #265 on: October 28, 2009, 05:39:06 pm »
People who won't leave you alone. A lot of people seem to think that going to the same con as someone makes you AUTO BEST FRIENDS and it's okay to tag along with you the entire day and be annoying. I said like a sentence to you, now go away.
I'm not going to lend you a cell phone when I barely know you, creepy guy.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #266 on: October 28, 2009, 05:56:20 pm »
I know who you're talking about :>
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #267 on: October 28, 2009, 06:01:13 pm »
Shhhhh.
You weren't even there for the cell phone part >_>
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #268 on: October 28, 2009, 06:24:34 pm »
Crowding right in the center of narrow hallways with no intention of moving...I realize that the last con was PACKED and crowded but you should always leave room for people to get by.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #269 on: October 28, 2009, 08:38:25 pm »
Did anyone add "people that don't shower" to the list?  At the very least, wear some deodorant!  I carried a can of Ax Chocolate spray with me the entire con so I was always smelling oh so delicious.

<waits for someone to add, "People that smell like fake chocolate!!!">

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #270 on: October 28, 2009, 08:39:54 pm »
more like people that use axe XD

oslapedo

« Reply #271 on: October 28, 2009, 08:41:14 pm »
What really frustrates me is when people smell like fake chocolate, who do you think you're trying to fool? D:<

But seriously, axe is sick. In a bad way~<3

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #272 on: October 29, 2009, 06:13:12 pm »
Axe is terrible....but in light of that, I agree...PLEASE SHOWER!

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #273 on: October 29, 2009, 06:19:12 pm »
I also agree PLEASE SHOWER!!! And as for axe, whew, something is rotten in Denmark!
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #274 on: October 29, 2009, 09:25:13 pm »
yes!!! also strong perfume !! when trapped in a close area with some one wearing bad perfume its like they are spraying in my face
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #275 on: October 29, 2009, 09:39:28 pm »
That would destroy anyone's sensitive nose.
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #276 on: October 29, 2009, 10:13:50 pm »
more like people that use axe XD

hahaha. So true! XD It was a gift, and actually, it smells reallllly, realllllllllllllly nice.  I just hate it when people cake it on because they think it will get them laid as soon as they walk out of the door.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 10:15:46 pm by reppy »

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #277 on: October 29, 2009, 10:16:13 pm »
As long as you don't cake it on I am good. That is the case with anything like that. I spray it in the air then walk through it.

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #278 on: October 30, 2009, 03:23:23 am »
Axe was my special weapon for the con. The small can cost $2, and did only what I would expect it to do...get me through the three days of walking everywhere, odor-free. I pay no mind to the commercials. Besides, TAG lays the chick magnet thing on thick too, hoping guys will buy it and lay the spray on thick. >_<

Whoever said too much is never enough, never read Goldilocks and the 3 bears. Not too little, not too much, just enough to do its job.
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #279 on: October 30, 2009, 12:32:44 pm »
I hate people who complain "That's not anime!" and point at some random swag or costume. Especially when they are pointing out video game characters. This is an anime convention so they obviously love anime, don't make a big deal about what they decided to wear. Just enjoy time around other fans.
I LOVE seeing good costumes no matter what they are from lol...those kinda people are stupid lol. I will have to check out that video when I get off work lol. Not all of my cosplay are anime either...only 2/3 of them.

Axe is by far better than B.O. but like you said, in moderation. Over applying ANY cologne or perfume, even a good one is enough to make you puke.

Offline artamisalbrya

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #280 on: October 30, 2009, 03:25:52 pm »
Number one pet peeve would have to be the people who see a prosthetic or a prop. They notice that its well done and then proceed to TOUCH THE HELL OUT OF IT! I've had a few people touch very fragile things and break them because they where too rough with them.
Another one is people who glomp from behind and forget what they are wearing. Had a girl/boy/thing glomp me and tear my Orgy jacket because he/she/it forgot he/she/it was wearing something with a lot of hardware. The jacket got ripped in a few places and now I have to spend the time and energy to fix a custom job. V_V Sad days.

Offline fanboy!

• Cabbit
« Reply #281 on: November 30, 2009, 12:21:08 am »
one of my pet peeves is when random people on the street ask you a question about cosplay and then insult you like they've known you for years my god that pisses me off :(
Fanboy always wins!

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #282 on: November 30, 2009, 07:32:09 am »
Heh. When I was leaving the first night some lady asked me what was going on.

"Oh, it's an anime convention."

"..."

"Like Japanese animation and video games."

"..."

"Pokemon."

"Ohhh!"

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #283 on: November 30, 2009, 06:43:47 pm »
Hahaha~! That's funny Reppy. :33

Offline jaqua

• Bunnygirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #284 on: December 05, 2009, 03:02:42 am »
Two words: Caramell Dansen.

Gahhhhhh, I hate CD SO MUCH. I had someone at last Kcon come up to me while BLASTING the song into my face and try to force me to do the dance. And I was just like, "Dude. Personal space." And she would not back off.

Speaking of which, people who don't understand personal space. And it doesn't have to be physical, it can be mental. Like, people who are suuuuuuper clingy and latch onto you for a whole con and don't seem to understand that you want to hang out sans them.

Offline Rexyisashark

• Cabbit
    • Rexyisashark's DeviantART.
« Reply #285 on: December 13, 2009, 07:53:21 pm »

"..."

"..."

"Pokemon."

"Ohhh!"

I had something like that. Some lady came and asked me and a friend of mine what was going on, and we tried to explain it to her, and all she kept saying was, "OH, I WANT TO GO."

I think it's great that she wanted in, but it was a little awkward. She did not look like the kind of person to like anime: maybe I was just being judgmental, but man. It was hard to keep my mouth shut.
Sakura | Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles | 100%

Princess Fuse | Okami | 90%

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #286 on: December 27, 2009, 11:16:33 am »

"..."

"..."

"Pokemon."

"Ohhh!"

I had something like that. Some lady came and asked me and a friend of mine what was going on, and we tried to explain it to her, and all she kept saying was, "OH, I WANT TO GO."

I think it's great that she wanted in, but it was a little awkward. She did not look like the kind of person to like anime: maybe I was just being judgmental, but man. It was hard to keep my mouth shut.
It was redonkylous after the con, I walked around downtown waiting for the bus to come, towing my bags of well captured swag with me and I encountered a lot of people asking what was going on. Only at the end of the epic 3 days did so many people ask what this was and when it was. At the time it was...over.
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #287 on: February 10, 2010, 05:53:06 pm »
When people cosplay as something that's not anime.  I'd like to cosplay as video game characters or something like that, but not for an anime con.  This goes double for Harry Potter or Twilight cosplayers.

oslapedo

« Reply #288 on: February 10, 2010, 06:06:29 pm »
When I cosplay as non-anime characters at anime cons it's because anime cons are the only ones I go to so I haven't any other chance to show off my non animu costumes P:

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #289 on: February 11, 2010, 08:24:44 pm »
When people cosplay as something that's not anime.  I'd like to cosplay as video game characters or something like that, but not for an anime con.  This goes double for Harry Potter or Twilight cosplayers.
Really? That cuts probably half of all cosplays at most cons.
I say let people have fun and enjoy their hard work.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #290 on: February 12, 2010, 12:43:15 pm »
*Cough*

Offline Hekiru

• Cabbit
« Reply #291 on: February 12, 2010, 08:56:22 pm »
When some random con-goer shouts out at the top of their lungs: "[insert name]-CHAN!!!" and makes a mad dash for said person disregarding whoever is standing in front of them. Okay, so maybe that person hasn't seen the other person in a long time or is their favorite character from some show or video game, but stuff like that isn't just annoying - I feel embarrassed for them.
Kumoricon 2011 Cosplays:

Simon (pre-timeskip) - Gurren Lagann
Simon Brezhnev - Durarara!!

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #292 on: February 15, 2010, 09:23:35 am »
That is 1/2 the fun right there...I love seeing cosplays of all sorts, it's more fun that way.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #293 on: February 16, 2010, 10:38:52 am »
Something that can relate to everything I do including cons, is indecisive people. Just decide on something. What should we do? I don't know  >:(

Offline wii

• Cabbit
« Reply #294 on: March 16, 2010, 12:15:00 am »
well this be my first con so..Im hopeing I dont encounter people will bash me for cosplaying as naruto  :-\
you only live once so live life to it's fullest

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
« Reply #295 on: March 16, 2010, 02:34:51 pm »
Yeah, I know what you mean.

This will be my second year at Kcon. And my first year cosplaying.

Im not gay or anything, but I decided on cosplaying a female character.
Im not fat or ugly really so I can pull it off mostly. Im half asian too. That helps. lol

But anyways, I do have a couple pet peeves from last year as well.

1. People not attending the con that feel the need to insult the rest of us.
2. Random Glomps
3. Doorways or stairways being blocked by mobs of people.
4. People who assume things before really knowing you.
-There was this one kid who had decided I was gay for no real reason....
God thats annoying.
Kumoricon 2014 Cosplay plans:

Kantai Collection Kongou Crossplay (Maybe)

Offline wii

• Cabbit
« Reply #296 on: March 18, 2010, 01:31:12 am »
Yeah, I know what you mean.

This will be my second year at Kcon. And my first year cosplaying.

Im not gay or anything, but I decided on cosplaying a female character.
Im not fat or ugly really so I can pull it off mostly. Im half asian too. That helps. lol

But anyways, I do have a couple pet peeves from last year as well.

1. People not attending the con that feel the need to insult the rest of us.
2. Random Glomps
3. Doorways or stairways being blocked by mobs of people.
4. People who assume things before really knowing you.
-There was this one kid who had decided I was gay for no real reason....
God thats annoying.
ya I hate when people assume things when they know nothing about you also I hope to get lots of pictures ^^
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 08:40:22 am by wii »
you only live once so live life to it's fullest

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #297 on: April 01, 2010, 06:02:27 pm »
My really weird pet peeve:

The awkward aspect of photo-taking. I feel like I'm being pushy if I ask someone with a great costume for more than one photo. But at the same time, I feel like I'm being arrogant if I ask someone who's taking a photo of me if they would want more than one pose - even if they've said they love the costume.

One of these days I'd like to figure out where the happy medium is between those two feelings. (^_^)

Become photography staff and just ask "for a FEW photos"

or just do that in general- just let them know that you will be asking for a few photos.

There's photography staff??  :o :o
*is interested*

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline DeathNotePanda

• Chibi
« Reply #298 on: April 02, 2010, 12:26:10 am »
I see that a lot of people are bashing on the lolitas =.= Are they really that bad?
Last year I went in my dresses for all three days (and also for the first time in public xD) and talked to a group.
They seemed nice to me~ Obviously I guess I'm missing something right?

I am also a deticated cosplayer as well as J-fashion fanatic xD It does bother me a bit when someone just picks up the styles and act like they know everything. But I never bash on them unless they're clearly being a jerk xD

As for those that are new to cosplaying as well as Japanese main stream fashion, I think people should be a bit more considerate to those people ^^" I get it if you can clearly see that they didn't try hard enough but people need to mind their manners xD I do catch myself saying "Oh thats not a very good outfit." but I never walk up to them and say that nor do I treat them any differently ^^

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #299 on: April 02, 2010, 01:45:03 pm »
I see that a lot of people are bashing on the lolitas =.= Are they really that bad?
Last year I went in my dresses for all three days (and also for the first time in public xD) and talked to a group.
They seemed nice to me~ Obviously I guess I'm missing something right?

Really? O_O
I LOVE the Lolita outfits, they're so cool looking!
I've always wanted to wear one myself :D

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012