Author Topic: Cosplay/ convention/ anime Pet Peeve.. we all have 'em, so whats yours?  (Read 58473 times)

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
sooo share your pet peeves about anything convention or cosplay related, I saw this type of forum on cosplay.com and thought it was pretty fun ^^..

Just please be nice and respect other peoples Opinions.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 03:37:39 pm by Black~Rose »

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Cosplay/ convention Pet Peeve.. we all have 'em, so whats yours?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 10:47:14 pm »
I'd have to say my number one is the people who come up to you, get right in your face and tell you to pose so they can take your picture, then just walk off after taking the shot. Very socially-deficient people, lol.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 10:49:39 pm »
XD yup I know how that is, last year someone put their arm around me for a picture 0.0 I was kinda like WTF? then they said thanks and left. >.< creepy

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 10:52:43 pm »
Ah, I talked about my number one cosplay pet peeve in my cosplay tag video (ugly wigs), so I guess I'll address my number two pet peeve; clingy strangers. Last year was my first time at a convention, and I went in cosplay as C.C. from Code Geass. Somewhere near the pool area, this skinny guy comes over to me and asks me for a hug. He was nice about it, so I agreed, but then he didn't want to let go. It was even more awkward because the friend I was exploring the con with kinda likes me, so he kept insisting the guy let go, urk. About 15 minutes later we walk away unscathed, but I really hate those kinds of confrontations.

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 10:54:07 pm »
Yup I hear ya, I hate clingy people period lol unless I've known them for a really long time.

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 10:59:34 pm »
Mine, well I have a few but I will save them for later :#33

this one isn't a peeve it's a scary thing that has happened.
Stalkers  :[
I've had a few at some cons and they are quite scary. (has had too many experiences with this)

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 11:01:24 pm »
yikes o.O stalkers are creepy.

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 11:04:43 pm »
I'd have to say my number one is the people who come up to you, get right in your face and tell you to pose so they can take your picture, then just walk off after taking the shot. Very socially-deficient people, lol.
At first I thought you meant that they'd ask you to pose and then when you got ready they'd walked away without taking a picture XD
That would sure as hell make me upset lol.

My pet peeve would be those annoying cosplayers that have to be the ONLY ONE TO COSPLAY A CERTAIN CHARACTER. If they're not the only one they get really loud, insecure, rude, and defensive. Those are the same people who usually do a bad job too. Go figure  ::)
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 11:12:01 pm »
yeah, its annoying when people are rude about not being the only one to cosplay a certain characer.. If your insecure about it thats okay but there is no reason to bring others down.

That being said it is a pevee of mine to do say I'm going to cosplay a certain character when nobody else is, and then have a TON of other people suddenly wanting to cosplay that character >.< It annoys me a little but I understand they have a right to do so and I'm mature about it and let it go and even have fun with people cosplaying the same character. A good way to look at it is that they have the same interests as you so you have something in common.   

same as you, immaturity about not being able to handle that other people have a right to cosplay the same character as you, is a BIG pevee of mine also though.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 11:12:52 pm by Black~Rose »

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 11:20:49 pm »
That being said it is a pevee of mine to do say I'm going to cosplay a certain character when nobody else is, and then have a TON of other people suddenly wanting to cosplay that character >.< It annoys me a little but I understand they have a right to do so and I'm mature about it and let it go and even have fun with people cosplaying the same character. A good way to look at it is that they have the same interests as you so you have something in common.

Ah, that bothers me too! Well, not that much anymore since I try not to think too much about it, but if possible, I do like to cosplay characters that other people aren't doing. I hope that at each con or meet I attend that I left something memorable to at least one person, and it makes it really hard if there were multiple incarnates of the character I did, lol. I used to get really annoyed by this, but now I've learned to tone it down; cosplaying is all about having fun!

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 11:22:37 pm »

Ah, that bothers me too! Well, not that much anymore since I try not to think too much about it, but if possible, I do like to cosplay characters that other people aren't doing. I hope that at each con or meet I attend that I left something memorable to at least one person, and it makes it really hard if there were multiple incarnates of the character I did, lol. I used to get really annoyed by this, but now I've learned to tone it down; cosplaying is all about having fun!

same here, cosplay is about haveing fun. It only bothers me if I'm forced to walk around by myself or something.. If I'm with friends it wont bother me much at all ^^

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 11:34:12 pm »
ANOTHER THING:

When cosplayers have additude, like when you say I LIKE YOUR COSPLAY, ITS REALLY GOOD then they reply with:::

I KNOW (walk away)

I dislike cosplayers who are rude DX Cosplaying is about having fun~

Offline iluvshijimi

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 11:40:28 pm »
Really?! That's never happened to me before, I didn't even know people did that!

Offline Hidamari

• Catgirl
    • Reddsause- fandubs, parodies, and then some!
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 11:49:35 pm »
Try talking to the Sweet Lolitas. Key word= TRY.
Sakuracon~

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 12:55:59 am »
So, by the time I'm done with this list, I'm pretty sure none of you will possibly be able to comprehend why I even come to anime conventions, but here goes.  This is in a very particular order btw.

#1: People who assume I've watched a particular anime I'm not cosplaying from.  I have watched a few...and enjoyed even fewer.  I would loathe to have an encyclopedic knowledge of every single one...so why would I inherently know any particular one?
#2: Unfitting cosplays.  If it isn't you, then don't do it, unless you can do it in a manner that's comical.
#3: When my friends tell me I should take a "break" from Gaming and check out the rest of the con.  No thanks!
#4: Sloppiness in general.  Whether it's a cosplay, a tournament, a live performance, or whatever.  If it's sloppy, and the people responsible aren't even trying to fix it, that annoys me.
#5: Being able to find everyone except for the one person I'm actually looking for.  I like to get to know people who have neat personalities, and cons are a great space to initiate a meeting between yourself and someone from the forums or wherever whom you find interesting without having to be really creepy or conspicuous.  Those people, however, tend to be good at not bumping into me...while I tend to run into people like my friend David every time I leave gaming for more than 10 minutes, or I run into a friend from out of town whom I haven't seen in months when I wander over to the arcade at 1am. :P
#6: People who think they understand something that they clearly don't understand, and then getting frustrated when you try to inform them on the subject.
#7: Having to be "the man", and bring down the hammer on an issue, especially when it's a really nice/cool person.  I always feel kind of bad when I have to tell someone they need to get off of a console and give someone else a turn, or when I have to tell someone, "sorry, I can't let you check out M-rated games because you're a minor," when they're, like, 16 or 17.
#8: Spending money.  I HATE spending money.  If someone had just raided my bank account and told me, "yeah, you're going to Sakuracon; I'll manage the expenses; just enjoy yourself" I would have been a lot happier there.  I was really wound up because I spent a lot of money for, essentially, 20 or 30 games of DDR, 16 hours of work, and a dance.

There are other things that annoy me at cons, but they're more general.  I'm a pretty irritable person I guess. :P
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 07:13:12 am »
Agreeing with Tofu on unfitting cosplays and sloppiness.
Also for me, glomp circles and yoai paddles. Yoai paddles have been banned at most cons so that isn't really and issue anymore but it drove me into rage when people would come up behind me and smack me WITHOUT EVEN ASKING ME. Grr. As for glomp circles I've been dragged into a lot of them without wanting to go. And with that the last pet peeve of mine I will go into is PEOPLE THAT DON'T UNDERSTAND NO MEANS NO.

WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 08:25:18 am »
One BIIIIIIG issue of mine is people who cosplay who don't put their heart into it. They cosplay because everyone else is and that is the, so to speak, "cool" thing to do. You get the people who put on an askatsuki cloak and nothing else and call themselves ______. It gives a bad name to all the cosplayers who DO put a lot of thought into their costumes.

Another one of mine is people who use their real hair. If you want to use your real hair that is great. I can get over the fact that it is not the same color for some, but I rather not. But please, for the love of god, if you are going to use your real hair and it is naturally curly and the character you are cosplaying has straight hair, style it properly. If you can't style it then buy a damn wig, the cosplay community will greatly appreciate you not bringing our hobby down. (the you was directed at no one ^_^)

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 08:42:22 am »
Try talking to the Sweet Lolitas. Key word= TRY.
oh god I know what you mean. >_< I think some times it's just lolita's in general. not all of them but the ones that ONLY cosplay lolitas.

I can't stand when the wig/hair isn't right. or when there's too many of one cosplay. I know mainstream is always going to be there but I think everyone shouldn't try to cosplay as only the main characters. You should possibly try for a minor one, they need love too.

I also don't like those that try to cosplay like 20 characters all at once. And then their costumes are only half assed because of it. :/ And I don't like it when one person cosplays like 5 characters from one series. I don't care how much you love the series, leave some cosplays for other people to try. and you can't look like everyone is the damn series. ::)
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 08:55:44 am »
@ nikki ~ Not haveing the right hair is a big peeve of mine too >.< Thats why I'm getting a wig for Xion because I want to grow my hair out.

Offline ichigoxcupcakes

• Bunnygirl
    • Website
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 10:13:46 am »
One BIIIIIIG issue of mine is people who cosplay who don't put their heart into it. They cosplay because everyone else is and that is the, so to speak, "cool" thing to do. You get the people who put on an askatsuki cloak and nothing else and call themselves ______. It gives a bad name to all the cosplayers who DO put a lot of thought into their costumes.

Another one of mine is people who use their real hair. If you want to use your real hair that is great. I can get over the fact that it is not the same color for some, but I rather not. But please, for the love of god, if you are going to use your real hair and it is naturally curly and the character you are cosplaying has straight hair, style it properly. If you can't style it then buy a damn wig, the cosplay community will greatly appreciate you not bringing our hobby down. (the you was directed at no one ^_^)

I understand that completely. : O
I hate it when you see curly hair and you have to do a double take. (WAIT....GOKU DIDN'T HAVE AN AFRO!!!!!!)

XDDDD
Yeah....I'm just a cosplayist. DX Picky Nicky.

(dies because she can't afford a wig so she is using her real hair for a cosplay)

Offline Kagome219

• Bunnygirl
    • Bloggin' lolol~
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 11:14:08 am »
My biggest is when people on the streets by the hotels driving by, stick their heads out and yell, "FREAKS!". That has happened twice now, and although they have their opinion, it doesn't mean that they should take it out on our fun. d:

Also people who come up to me and ask while I'm taking a break from my cosplay, "Hey! You were cosplaying as ______ earlier. Why aren't you doing that now?!" This has only happened once, but it was enough to make me just a "wee bit upset". We all get tired and need to take breaks sometimes.
K-con '11 Cosplays:
NO, Thank You!!Mio (K-ON!!) - 100%
Haruhi Suzumiya (TMoHS) - 100%
Sollux (Homestuck) - 100%
Crystal (Pokemon Crystal Version) - 100%
Don't say "lazy"!Mio (K-ON!) - 100%
Alice (Pandora Hearts) - 100%
Haruhi Fujioka (OHSHC) - 100%

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 11:19:06 am »
My biggest is when people on the streets by the hotels driving by, stick their heads out and yell, "FREAKS!". That has happened twice now, and although they have their opinion, it doesn't mean that they should take it out on our fun. d:

Also people who come up to me and ask while I'm taking a break from my cosplay, "Hey! You were cosplaying as ______ earlier. Why aren't you doing that now?!" This has only happened once, but it was enough to make me just a "wee bit upset". We all get tired and need to take breaks sometimes.
They wouldn't say that to us in person because they know that with 5000+ people around them, their screwed. And the second this is just plain rude. :/
da/tumblr

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 12:25:53 pm »
Another one is that if you want to cosplay a popular character like L or Naruto you better do everything you can to look great. Those costumes are already looked down on by experienced cosplayers because people who usually cosplay those characters do a half ass job. This is just my issue with wanting to be the best I can, I look for things other people have done well and things that didn't turn out great and combine them to make one hell of a costume.

Just because you are wearing a white t-shirt and have heavy eyeliner on does not make you L.

I can sum that whole thing up in one sentence. If you want to cosplay a character that is well known make yourself stand out of the crowd. So when people ask "did you see that L?" and someone asks "which one?" their response is "the good one" and the other person will know instantly who they are talking about.

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2009, 01:06:56 pm »
yeah, I wish I could go all out for mello but money is a little bit tight, so I cant really get the pleather outfit (unless I miraculously find it in japan) So I'm trying my best to pull off mello in non-pleather clothes. It does annoy me when people dont try at all.

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2009, 05:04:00 pm »
I dont like going to the trouble to actually cosplay as someone you resemble (sorta), and you get all of the clothes right, and NOBODY RECOGNIZES YOU! Even when you cosplay as a character that should be immediately recognizable. I mean, who hasn't seen Ghost in the Shell? Apparently a lot of con-goers these days, from the reactions I got,

The second pet peeve of mine is related: Younger fans who are completely ignorant of anything pre-Naruto/Bleach/Deathnote. Anime did not begin in 2000 AD. It began decades before i was born. And young people really should know where the shows they do watch came from. It is scary to think that many who watch Gurren Lagann (for instance) do not know what Evangelion is, let alone Gunbuster. God you kids make me feel old sometimes, and i really shouldn't.

K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2009, 05:17:24 pm »
@ Manji ~ well my first amine was sailor moon and man that one is old. It may not be that we are plainly ignorant, it may be that we just aren't interested in watching the particular anime's that you like. For instance, I dont like Naruto very much and need my friend to explain the characters that he recognizes. I know what Ghost in shell is I just never was interested in watching it. No need to feel old because the kids dont like the animes you like, just means you have different interests/tastes. But I understand where your comeing from, its no fun not to be recognized.

Another peeve of mine is when People base YOU off the character you cosplay. I may cosplay -insert character here- but it doesnt mean I AM that character, and if people dont like the character I really hate it when they treat the person cosplaying that character badly for the sole reason that they are a character you dont like. Please these types of people need reality checks.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 05:18:07 pm by Black~Rose »

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2009, 05:20:08 pm »
A small pet peeve of mine is if your a woman cosplaying a dude it's a nice thing called ace bandage and it works wonders for hiding the boobs and all and you look better as a man and it makes the character more real and I like that. ^__^
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 05:27:59 pm by Jacob_Blackfeather »

Offline Kagome219

• Bunnygirl
    • Bloggin' lolol~
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2009, 06:08:12 pm »
I dont like going to the trouble to actually cosplay as someone you resemble (sorta), and you get all of the clothes right, and NOBODY RECOGNIZES YOU! Even when you cosplay as a character that should be immediately recognizable. I mean, who hasn't seen Ghost in the Shell? Apparently a lot of con-goers these days, from the reactions I got,

The second pet peeve of mine is related: Younger fans who are completely ignorant of anything pre-Naruto/Bleach/Deathnote. Anime did not begin in 2000 AD. It began decades before i was born. And young people really should know where the shows they do watch came from. It is scary to think that many who watch Gurren Lagann (for instance) do not know what Evangelion is, let alone Gunbuster. God you kids make me feel old sometimes, and i really shouldn't.
I'm sorry for being such an ignorant kid! ><  But as Black~Rose said, it does mainly depend on tastes. o:

Also, many people knew about the "Caramelldansen girls" as a meme in 2007/2008, so when my friend and I dressed up as the girls and *even did the dance numerous times* no one noticed. ._.  Only some adults who recognized the actual characters from the video games they are in. xD

K-con '11 Cosplays:
NO, Thank You!!Mio (K-ON!!) - 100%
Haruhi Suzumiya (TMoHS) - 100%
Sollux (Homestuck) - 100%
Crystal (Pokemon Crystal Version) - 100%
Don't say "lazy"!Mio (K-ON!) - 100%
Alice (Pandora Hearts) - 100%
Haruhi Fujioka (OHSHC) - 100%

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2009, 06:13:17 pm »
I'm part of the younger generation but I tend to like the older anime's as well as does my friend. We still watch new series if they catch our interest but we're still watching the older ones. I cosplayed from Record of loddoss war my first year at k-con. and that was my first time cosplaying. I thought for sure I'd get lots of praise for my costume. I love that series and I was younger so I didn't know better. Only 4 people recognized me. I was so sad, and I worked super hard on that costume for my first time.
da/tumblr

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2009, 06:46:54 pm »
A small pet peeve of mine is if your a woman cosplaying a dude it's a nice thing called ace bandage and it works wonders for hiding the boobs and all and you look better as a man and it makes the character more real and I like that. ^__^

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiis. I know some people happen to be extra... er... large though, and have trouble with this, but a lot of people don't and don't even try ._.
heh... At a meetup a little while ago I didn't bind... I decided not to bother since it was only a small meetup and I'd run out of bandages... But boy did it suck when I saw the pictures ._.

And on a related note, Sexy no Jutsu cosplays. I'm down with SnJ ONLY within the Naruto series and of certain characters, but only if they're done well. I mean heck, don't just use it as an excuse to skimp out on a wig.

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2009, 07:33:01 pm »
I dont have to many pet peeves : o

I dont really like it when some one at a con insists they knoew more about anime then you do and then proceed to shoot down your costume for acuracy and how you do a terrible job ofportraying the character (happend once and i restrained from punching in the nose)

really i guess my big peeve is when people come acting all arrogant and just  because they watch death note, bleach, and naruto they know absolutley everything about anime ever. I find this happens with the younger crowd.

it also equally annoys me when the older crowd just assume everyone in the younger crowd is what I described above, that or a weebo, yaoi fangirl, the typical stereo type of the yaoi fan fic reading screaming con girl who acts like shes 5. On several ocasions many people were surprised to find out Im only 16 and had peged me for 18 or 20 once. When I asked why I was told because I seem a lot calmer and more mature than most anime fans/kids my age. And to be perfectly honest i have rarely met the stereo type i described and most of the teens i hang out with (into anime or not) are not at all five year oldish (not in public at least, sleep overs with my middle school friends go the oposite direction >_>)

but yeah thats the thing that bugs me. Im not one to take arogance very lightly, though I try to put on a good face and just brush past it since I know ive been arrogant at times myself, and if i expect to be forgiven for when i was a jerk i need to forgive those that are jerks ocasionly to.

sorry end long rant xD
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline Mei Long

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2009, 10:56:11 pm »
I would like to add to the pet peeve of Jacob_Blackfeather's:

I agree greatly that some form of binding is greatly appreciated in crossplay, just like stuffing, shaving, makeup or tucking is always appreciated with M->F crossplay, however I feel greatly stressed when I hear that girls have bound themselves so tight they are having trouble breathing, or heaven forbid, when they take the tape off it leaves massive wounds.

Fortunately there are ways to prevent these but unfortunately it's not always known to the young crossplayer (or even the older ones). So while I really wish crossplayers would take the steps to make their outfit more convincing I am very sad when I hear about the "battle scars" that happen. I have many friends who crossplay and I have learned from them that longterm crossplayers (who are female) should take the opportunity to invest in a binder (like from underworks or t-kingdom). Spendy? Yes. Long-term value? Totally worth it from what I've been told.

NOW that my soapbox moment is over, my equally aggravating pet peeves.
1) Hugs that last TOO long. I'm usually fine with hugging folks but if it lasts more than .5 seconds and I'm left feeling sleezed on and I need to scrub my skin - UGH.
2) Real Hair that isn't prepared for cosplay. Wigs are preferred. (already talked about)
3) Perverts - treating a real person like a sex object, con or not, is the quickest way to make me want to explode in all my Irish fury.
4) Drama. The End.

EDIT: 5) How could I forget the one that happens to me most? I don't crossplay. Ever. So when, even though I'm cosplaying a male character, that people continuously call me "she/her" even after I correct them is more than a little frustrating. Okay, that's it for real now. XD;

<3
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 11:00:38 pm by Mei Long »
Montez Bailey, 1988 - 2009, we miss you, rest in peace.

!~~~No Kumoricon for me. See ya'll at Akicon 2011~~~!

Akicon 2011 Costumes: Genderbent Kim Pine, Marshall Lee

2012: YoYo, Czeslaw, ???

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2009, 11:14:39 pm »
I dont really like it when some one at a con insists they knoew more about anime then you do and then proceed to shoot down your costume for acuracy and how you do a terrible job ofportraying the character
Heh. That's happened to me too... I was tired and acted all flustered and did a generic pose when someone asked for a picture, then someone else in her group said
"What the heck, do something Cooro-like" (my char)
"Any suggestions? ^.^" <--not very good at posing D:
"Do you even read the series?" |:

... Maybe I was just overreacting by getting offended by that, but heck, it's a rarely done series, of course I've read it D8>

and @ Mei- You're a guuuuuuy? OUo Rly? Haha that's amazing.
Er, but yes on your notes on binding as well. Mainly some girls are uninformed or lazy to do it right and end up hurting themselves. I'm amazed that there are some girls that still use/try to use duct tape. I forget if the incident of the girl that got hurt doing that happened at Kumoricon or not, I just remember hearing a lot about it -u-;
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 11:15:06 pm by Hazuza »

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2009, 12:32:05 am »
People that smell!!!! 
Played a quick match of DOA on sunday against a guy that smelt like he crapped his pants on Thursday.
Last time I checked, all the hotel rooms have SHOWERS!

just in case anyone was curious I won.
Team Koga

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2009, 12:50:08 am »
Not necessarily cosplay, but the attitude that some Gothic Lolitas can have. This happened to me at Sakura Con this year, but on Sunday I wore my Loli dress and as I was walking in the halls and walking by other EGLs, I could FEEL their eyes looking me up-and-down checking how "Gothic Lolita" I was. Also as I was waiting outside a panel room, a rather well matched EGL couple walked outta the room and the girl gave me the once over and standing about 4 feet away, I could clearly hear her whispering things to the guy she was with about my outfit. I looked at her several times to kinda indicate that I could hear her and if she wanted to say something, she could have said it to my face, but I guess she didn't pick up the hint and continued to whisper about me dress within earshot. At least it wasn't anything disrespectful :-\.

That's the ironic thing I always found about American EGLs. We thumb our noses at mainstream fashion and how silly it is to pay $500+ for a couture bag or shoes and how fashionable people in Hollywood or New York give you the once-over to examine your clothes and outfit, but when it comes to J-Fashion and particularly Gothic Lolita fashion, people do the same thing. It's kinda discouraging sometimes.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2009, 01:16:27 am »
I imagine that would be annoying.  I want to try and get a vintage WWII fighter pilot's uniform, and find a character from some anime whom I can look really inconspicuously similar to, but not quite identical to, a character from some anime.  Then I wait for someone to chew me out for getting the cosplay wrong, so I can turn around and say, "What are you talking about?  This is a genuine vintage World War Two Fighter Pilot's uniform.  Just because your show misrepresents history doesn't give you the right to criticize my extremely valuable outfit.  At no point have I claimed to be cosplaying.  Just because I'm wearing a really comfortable, expensive outfit, you assume that it's somehow connected with some hobby I've never had any interest in.  That's pretty obnoxious, you know."

I'd die happy. :3
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline JulianaRose

• Cabbit
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2009, 01:36:02 am »
Cheap wigs! Those things annoy the hell out of me and are probably my number one peeve of a con.  I think it's awesome when people don't have to wear a wig to a con, but if you're going to do that, *please* take the time to make it look even remotely like the character.  I'd rather see that though than a cheap, butchered Hannah Montana wig...>:(

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2009, 08:50:13 am »
Another one of mine is people not moving out of the way to take pictures. COSPLAYERS SHOULD KNOW BETTER! If the photographer doesn't ask you to move then at least the cospalyers should tell them to wait till they get out of the way of the hall. I do it all the time. I think I forget every once in a while just because I am in a hurry or something.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2009, 09:00:26 am »
oh I have some pet peeve's for cons.

THE GAME(sorry if I made anyone lose, but really no one should play it. it's so Laaaaaaaaaaaaame~). I hate when you can't even take 5 steps and someone's like "I lost teh freaking Gaem!" DX makes me want to rip my hair out. I tend to yell back "I won the game!". I know it's confusing but it's true, you win the game if you don't play it. which I don't.

Also I'm tired of the people that constantly complain about staff and saying they could do a better job. It's like hello, there trying thier hardest to make con fun for you. Get over it, They're short on hands. If you think you could do a better job then go and help them out, they'd love that.
da/tumblr

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2009, 09:13:30 am »
I know this is kinda shallow for me and people should be able to cosplay whatever they want but it really annoys the hell out of me when an overweight person cosplays someone with a skimpy outfit. Like if you are obese you SHOULD NOT cosplay Yoko under any circumstances. Despite what people say I think almost everyone feels this way. I feel it with a little less extreme too. I don't think anyone should wear an outfit like Yoko's unless they look good.

Wow it is surpising hard to find those few people that are just slightly overweight and cosplaying something skimpy x.x

Ok this is a good one
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2046/2303174787_9bc4a40fb8.jpg
this is what your stomach should look like if you are going to wear a skimpy outfit.

It looks like the people I am talking about don't post their pictures. But if you have a muffin top you shouldn't cosplay something like yoko in my book.

I found an example of what you SHOULD do. If you want to cosplay a character but don't have a body for their skimpy outfit look for one that will work for you. Take Rikku from X-2 for example, this girl probably would have been made fun of if she wore the bikini but she didn't and found an outfit that will work http://images.cosplay.com/photos/13/1309748.jpg
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 09:17:08 am by nikkiolie »

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2009, 03:02:28 pm »
Also I'm tired of the people that constantly complain about staff and saying they could do a better job. It's like hello, there trying their hardest to make con fun for you. Get over it, They're short on hands. If you think you could do a better job then go and help them out, they'd love that.
thank you ever so much
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2009, 03:56:01 pm »
I agree with nikki. another thing that bugs me is ussualy when people kinda say "im not fond of obese cosplayers cosplaying skimpy outfits" and then people bombared the person who said that with "any one can cosplay whoever!' and start yelling at them : / It's just an opinion. If you still want to do skimpy cosplay then there are a lot of ways to avoid over skin exposure, body suites come to mind.

also not saying you have to be paris hilton to cosplay the skimpy characters, just not on the obese end.

manji: thirded on the staff, they do work very hard : )
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2009, 04:06:28 pm »
Oh another thing, when people complain about normal people or even other people making fun of their costumes. First off seeing someone wear a costume to look like an anime or video game character is pretty weird, and people will make fun of you no matter how well you do it. Its just not something they are used to seeing, and yes they are shallow and judgmental and all but that doesn't mean you can complain about it. Shrug it off and move on.

Now for the second one, people at a con making fun of your costume, that is going to fall into one of several categories. Either they are these "normal people" and just don't get it. You are large and cosplaying something that a skinny person should cosplay or your costume is poorly made. Two of those three are your own judgment calls so if that is one of the reasons people are making fun of you do not complain about it. Find something better to cosplay that shows less skin or make your costume better.

Oh and the people who say you have to spend a lot of money to have a good costume. My Temari costume cost under $30 to make. All the clothes I got for about $10. And that costume doesn't look bad, it can use some work but everyone thought I did a fantastic job.

Offline lightbeam911

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2009, 04:15:26 pm »
Eh, this might just be a little of my OCD showing, but I can't STAND when the halls of the hotel and/or merchandise room are blocked XD People just stand in big GLOBS. Its like, really, you couldn't move aside a little? I understand the cons are crowded, but some of the places people stand are so terrible.
Last year there was about 20 people talking in front of a staircase, oblivious to everything around them. My friend and I stood there for about 5 minutes until we asked them if we could get by. And when we did, they looked at us like WE were rude.
Normally con goers are a lot more polite than that ^___^;;;;

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2009, 04:30:06 pm »
Eh, this might just be a little of my OCD showing, but I can't STAND when the halls of the hotel and/or merchandise room are blocked XD People just stand in big GLOBS. Its like, really, you couldn't move aside a little? I understand the cons are crowded, but some of the places people stand are so terrible.
Last year there was about 20 people talking in front of a staircase, oblivious to everything around them. My friend and I stood there for about 5 minutes until we asked them if we could get by. And when we did, they looked at us like WE were rude.
Normally con goers are a lot more polite than that ^___^;;;;
I've never been to a con but that sounds like some thing that might anger me :P
..as for the younger ages and anime I'm one of the younger people (just turned 14 :P ) and I watch many other animes then the mainstream ones..actually I've watched more than i can count at the moment...

This seems like something that might be a little rude...but if you're wearing a cosplay that shows leg or armpit and you're really hairy...is a little nasty (a little bit is fine but if it's overly blah..)

Offline lightbeam911

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2009, 04:39:53 pm »
@Kallika: Oh god LOL XD Yeah, unless thats part of the cosplay (Like you want to be Elizabeth from Gintama ROFL), it would be a little unattractive.

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2009, 05:20:11 pm »

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiis. I know some people happen to be extra... er... large though, and have trouble with this, but a lot of people don't and don't even try ._.
heh... At a meetup a little while ago I didn't bind... I decided not to bother since it was only a small meetup and I'd run out of bandages... But boy did it suck when I saw the pictures ._.

And on a related note, Sexy no Jutsu cosplays. I'm down with SnJ ONLY within the Naruto series and of certain characters, but only if they're done well. I mean heck, don't just use it as an excuse to skimp out on a wig.

But is it not better to try then not try?

Offline lightbeam911

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2009, 06:11:12 pm »
Oh god I have another one -____-

People who automatically think they know more about anime/japanese culture/language whatever, when they haven't even heard you SPEAK. I went to KumoriconLite, and me and my friends are hangin, watching some AMV's. There was a Evangelion joke in it, so I laughed. You would only get it if you've seen the anime, right? And the guy across form me goes "Do you even KNOW what Evangelion IS?" With this terrible sneer.
I'm like "yeah. Would I have laughed if I didn't get the joke, and therefore have seen the anime?" I didn't say that but boy was I ticked off.

Not only is it one of the greatest anime of all time, MOST people know of it. Its pretty damn popular.
Made me think he doesn't really know the hierarchy of anime ;D

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2009, 06:22:52 pm »
Oh god, I just remembered one. Elitist cosplayers piss me off to no end.

Just because you're popular within a small community of people doesn't mean your better then everyone else. If someone comes up and says "Hey I like your costume!" don't be a bitch. Show some modesty because the fact is we're all just nerds dressing up as fictional characters, I don't see how someone could be better then another in something like that.

Brb punching babies to relive my anger now.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline lightbeam911

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2009, 06:26:59 pm »
Oh god, I just remembered one. Elitist cosplayers piss me off to no end.

Just because you're popular within a small community of people doesn't mean your better then everyone else. If someone comes up and says "Hey I like your costume!" don't be a bitch. Show some modesty because the fact is we're all just nerds dressing up as fictional characters, I don't see how someone could be better then another in something like that.

Brb punching babies to relive my anger now.

Amen to that.