Author Topic: What should i do for money?  (Read 3506 times)

Offline Squirrel

• Sailor Scout
What should i do for money?
« on: April 12, 2011, 05:29:58 pm »
See i'm looking for a job...but i'm not having luck..so like i've been trying to find yard work and collect cans but idk what else to doo D; any ideas?

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
Re: What should i do for money?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 05:34:03 pm »
Babysit, deliver newspapers, mow lawns,

ask your neighbors if they know anything.

go downtown and beg. probably will get you the most money. Portland is full of people who feed the bears.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 05:35:23 pm »
Don't go downtown and beg. You could get hurt. :l
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 05:35:41 pm by StarryShay »

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 05:59:31 pm »
Don't go downtown and beg. You will get hurt. :l
Fixed.

If you want a job, you don't need luck. You need skill. Figure out what it is then exercise your potential.

A friend of mine in Japan walks dogs. She's getting $100/day for her work(but she's good). Despite the quakes and nuclear warnings, she's still earning her keep. Learn to do the same.
{Death mode} D3 Started 17.May.2011 02:20
Magi: What are you doing?
Me: I'm putting a stop to this. Now.
Magi: You'll die.
Me: I don't believe that.

Offline Squirrel

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 07:28:56 pm »
Hmm i could try baby sitting C: and dog walking! :D

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 07:39:37 pm »
Do you live in town, or in the 'burbs? That can make a difference on your earning potential. You could feed pets for people who go on vacation. Water their houseplants.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Squirrel

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 07:48:44 pm »
Ill ask my friend is she wants to go

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 07:51:04 pm »
You're 17, you could apply to a Petco or a Starbucks- Those have plenty of openings always.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 09:04:18 pm »
McDonald's is hiring 50,000 people. Don't know when the date is. It won't be a dream job, but it is good work experience, and helps you to get a better job later.

I know you really wanted to hear that. Sorry.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline dafe01

• Cabbit
    • Face Book
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 11:10:22 pm »
http://www.emp.state.or.us/jobs/

Good Resource page If your looking for Jobs.
(>^_-)>  ÐɋƒƐѳ1  <(^_^<)
            www.897926341.qzone.qq.com

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 12:43:49 am »
Don't go downtown and beg. You will get hurt. :l
Fixed.

If you want a job, you don't need luck. You need skill. Figure out what it is then exercise your potential.

A friend of mine in Japan walks dogs. She's getting $100/day for her work(but she's good). Despite the quakes and nuclear warnings, she's still earning her keep. Learn to do the same.

^ THIS.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 01:36:15 am »
Currently I'm babystting, as I am also having no luck in the part time job department. Ask family members for babysitters/friends, etc.

I'm about to sell my soul and apply for work at McDonald's.... they're hiring 50,000 people this week (as told by my friend) and I have 3 references from McDonald's (one a manager too) so I think I may have a good shot... sadly... -___-

If you're artsy you can make things and sell them on Etsy.
Odd jobs around the house for extra cash? Lawns, gutters, cleaning the car, etc...

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 01:50:17 am »
I'm about to sell my soul and apply for work at McDonald's.... they're hiring 50,000 people this week (as told by my friend) and I have 3 references from McDonald's (one a manager too) so I think I may have a good shot... sadly... -___-
The way you think about it like that, you're not likely to get that job. McDonalds rejected my application a few months ago because they weren't hiring. Who can blame them? Kids need a dead end job to put them in school next year. Quickly after that I got ahold of a seasonal job that was focused on giving McDonalds the business. Ahaha! After the first week it was a killer moment that felt like: BAM! Winning! :D

Making bread while making bread...That's how I get money. :)
Odd jobs around the house for extra cash? Lawns, gutters, cleaning the car, etc...
My musician friend calls it rent-a-husband. o.O

Trades have gone sour for me this year. No one has the money to pay a mechanic anymore. Licensing for MACS has no place here in the NW and while I'm heavily skilled in technical fields, everyone wants several licenses and years of experience. I'm a freeter, I have no time for this garbage. If you're like me, just pick a seasonal job and roll with it. It's the best way to get fast money. 2008 was a horrible year for me. Never have I seen so many people get hurt so badly while I was the one guy with a pretty face that somehow got stuck training people to drill glass. Half a year of making solar panels earned me $12K that year. If you're dedicated and can handle very unsafe and poisonous environments....Well...Lets be honest. That's no place for a little girl. It's no place for a man either. -_-'

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 01:53:32 am »
Half a year earning you 12K is nothing to scoff at o.o; I made 18K a year at my old job.

Now's the time to sign up for seasonal hiring for the Summer.

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 02:00:34 am »
I ****ing <3 the new avatar.
Half a year earning you 12K is nothing to scoff at o.o; I made 18K a year at my old job.
Net? Remember, I said half a year of making solar panels. I'm a lazy bastard that likes to work for 6 months on then 6 months off. If I made $18K doing that, I wouldn't even think about school or anything else. o_o
Now's the time to sign up for seasonal hiring for the Summer.
This is a problem for me. I have already made plans with friends to attend AX this year on a minimal budget. I don't need to be blowing $1400 in LA for one week of every year like I always do. All of the cons I've attended are a personal prerequisite to attending my first Yaoicon too. I know I say money isn't a problem but if I don't earn back what I lose, it becomes a problem when I start looking for permanent jobs. What type of Seasonal work do you like to do? I'm always stuck with hard labor and really dangerous and hostile production environments with a huge turnover rate. :-\

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 02:21:30 am »
I just take whatever I can get usually. I am making one rule: No medical field. I can't... I'm just not cut out for that work.

Even if it's Net pay, that's still a lot more than I made at my old job. Places like Joann's, Dicks, stuff like that is hiring. Not great work, but money talks.

Kumoricon has a soft spot for me. I'll probably always hang on to it at the very least. I can't make Sakuracon because being unemployed and going to school isn't the greatest financial move for cons.

With poison and highly dangerous areas, I'm not surprised your job has high turnover rates! Mine did just because management sucks.

And the avatar, haha,  I just found it looking up something random on google. If I remember what it was, I'll tell you.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 02:22:34 am by lychee-twist »

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
READ THIS FIRST~
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 10:34:30 am »
By P.T. Barnum.

Here: http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/www/barnum/moneygetting/

Written in the 19th century, so the trades he talks about have changed or disappeared, but much of what he says still rings true today.
Find something you know about and are good at, don't do it where tons of other people are doing it, be willing to move to where what you best do brings the most buck for your effort and expenses. (Don't be a world-class sirloin chef in Cody, WYO.)

Great reading, broken down into short chapters.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 05:29:57 pm »
Go fishing in Alaska for the summer. Or work in one of the canneries. Tons of hours, hard fast work, but the paychecks! Wow.

I learned what I do from the navy. Same job, but this place doesn't float around the middle of the ocean in circles.
Have Fun

Jay