Author Topic: Genshiken - the new "Otaku no Video"  (Read 2974 times)

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
Genshiken - the new "Otaku no Video"
« on: December 12, 2005, 03:40:13 am »
Has anybody else been watching this relatively-new anime? It's an anime about a college animanga/gaming/cosplay club. What makes it strikingly different is that it covers some more realistic scenarios in the everyday life of a Japanese otaku, even the unpleasant ones. But it's funny as hell at points, and really drives home how much more bizarre real life can be sometimes. ;)

The club "Genshiken" has a rather wide array of characters, most (but not all) of whom are probably fairly common in Japan. There's the "newly-born" freshman otaku (often treated as the main character), the extremely shy "gentle giant" otaku with a stuttering problem, the "loud/creepy/obsessive" otaku, the two cosplayers, the rare "trendy" otaku whose demeanor and appearance completely hide his tastes, and the trendy otaku's love interest (she has a hard time dealing with his odd hobbies). ;)

I think this anime should be required viewing for American fans who consider themselves "otaku," especially for those planning to go to Japan. There are some things it conveys about the Japanese side of our fandom that we should all know before encountering people overseas. Seriously. It would have been nice to have seen some of this series before I studied abroad.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 09:23:17 am »
I have the Manga. It's really good... I think everyone should buy, if not read it in the store.

They're in College, not Highschool. ._.;

Offline Sinaj

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 12:49:31 pm »
I've been collecting this series actually, and I really like it. I think it gives a much better (more dramatic anyway) look at anime fan lifestyles and how many different types of fans there really are out there. I've seen comic party as well, but it didn't seem to be as serious and informative, and it didn't shed as much light on the cliques and elitist that exist among fans. Genshiken shows a lot of that in every episode. And don't forget that the 'trendy" otaku is actually the gamer of the bunch, filling that type of anime fan role as well. The only thing I think I haven't seen is the AMV maker role! lol!

His girlfriend is a riot though. I think she's finally understanding a bit more, at least in the most recent episodes I've seen. Now if she could only have known that the cat ears would have been more successful with bedroom roleplay than the Kirby-like thing she tried. That had me rolling on the floor!

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 01:29:01 pm »
As someone who has seen it all, I would definantly like to state that I hope they make another season of this.

It was awesome, and I often times caught myself saying "Yeah, I know what thats like".

I love Genshiken. :D

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 04:34:53 pm »
Quote from: "Neko_Chan"
They're in College, not Highschool. ._.;

Really?... Well, that explains some things. >_<; However, man, that main character sure is small.

Anyway, I edited my post.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline HaSanGo

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 01:18:39 pm »
You have to understand that Japan's schooling structure although similar in some ways is different from ours. Their classes tend to have an average of 40-45 students in a class where in the US it tends to number anywhere from 20-30. Elementary consists of grades 1-6, then there is Junion High School grades 7-9 and finally Senion High School grades 10-12. High School is optional and families have to pay a tuition for it, which is a reason why many start to confuse their High School as College. They are only required to go to school grades 1-9, High School and Junion College/College are optional. Junior High is all about getting high scores to play them in a good High School. High School is mainly about one thing and that is studying and preparing them for their university entrance exams. You have to go to the right university which will lead to a well paid job or employment with a larger Japanese company.

High school is determined by their scores from Junior High. In the US we rely on keeping students near their place of living. But because of this it is not uncommon for a student to spend 2 hours just riding the train or bus and many changes just to get to their school. In some cases it is cheaper for them to stay in the city near the school with a relative or even by themselves so socially they obtain a higher level of freedom and responsibility than the average teenager. Student behavoir is even supposed to be regulated while traveling to and from school, chewing gum, consuming snacks, reading while walking can be prohibited, basically anything that might relfect badly upon the school. Each school has a unique uniform which makes them easy to identify which school they belong too. They even have policies that require them to stand on buses and trains, leaving seats open for other passengers to demonstrate consideration.

In many cases students are already working full time, attending an evening school (cram school) plus High School. Their clases can run as late as 9pm and often makes their days 12+ hours. They have a busy lifestyle if they are working. Since a lot of it is voluntary, commitment is what usually motivates most students. In the US we rely on parental pressure for our children to have to go to school, where the students in Japan make a lot of their own choice. This usually is why Japanese although the same age as US counterparts are considered more socially mature and attentive.

Mainly for these reasons is why people will confuse College for High School and vice versa. It will also be why there is someone who is 16 living in the city by themselves or a dorm like area, because of the High School they were placed in. We in the US tend to think if they are living on their own, paying a tuition, that they are in College but in reality is just High School.

May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, the foresight to know where you're going, and the insight to know when you're going too far.  - - Irish Toast