Author Topic: You might be a nerd/geek if...  (Read 77458 times)

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
You might be a nerd/geek if...
« on: November 20, 2008, 10:08:20 am »
Hello all! Im not sure if anyone knows this, but I fancy myself a comedian. And since last year, I've been wanting to get into stand-up comedy. However I don't have much material for my act. So today on the bus, I was just thinking about possible stuff to use for my act, because I didn't really have anything else to do except think about school... which only raises my stress level. Anyway, I recently was watching comedy central when they had some Jeff Foxworthy stand-up. And I remembered his signature "You might be a redneck" routine. Which got me thinking.

There are people out there who don't know if they are nerd/geek or not. Suprising as this sounds, it's true. I know a girl who lives in California who one night asked me if she was a nerd or not. I think you know where this is going. Now, from what I can tell, there IS a difference between a nerd and a geek. But some people have different definitions of the two, or just kinda lump the two together.

Okay, now to the fun part!
Start your sentence with "You might be" or "You know you are", or something like that. Well, just follow my lead.

"You know you're a geek, when you get a coloscopy bag so you can play WOW longer."
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 10:08:58 am by Teasel »
"Yes, that's a gun in my pants. But that doesn't mean I'm not happy to see you."

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
Re: You might be a nerd/geek if...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 10:36:15 pm »
You might be a nerd if an episode of Naruto changed your outlook on life.
"Yes, that's a gun in my pants. But that doesn't mean I'm not happy to see you."

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 10:37:51 pm »
You might be a geek if on halloween this year you refered to everyones costume as a cosplay, even if they were Dracula, or Frankenstein...
2008 Adult Content Coordinator
2009 Adult Content Coordinator
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 12:16:47 am »
True story from my life.........
You might be a geek if
as soon as your tv-hating boyfriend falls asleep, you sneak online to read the Heroes Graphic Novels.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 09:21:12 am »
You might be a geek if you've memorized every line in an episode of [insert title of an anime].

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 01:41:40 pm »
You know you're a geek if you're Mr_Mustash.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 01:42:27 pm by Teasel »

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 01:49:44 pm »

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 02:20:41 pm »
You know you're a geek if you're Mr_Mustash.

QFT

You might be a geek if you think Jesus Christ looks like Richard Stalmin and not vice versa.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 08:00:50 pm »
I believe that Samwise Gamgee never quite got the credit he really deserved.

I could cry. THANK YOU! :) I mean he did have a happy ending with Rosie and his family, but still...and anyone who thinks he was gay is just PLAIN WRONG.

(And hopefully we all know I have NOTHING against Gays/Lesbians/Other. LOL)
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 08:35:36 pm »
If your girlfriend/boyfriend leaves with another guy/gal while you are playing WOW, you might be a geek.

If your girlfriend/boyfriend leaves with another guy/gal while you are playing a hentai dating sim, you might be a geek and an idiot.

If you started watching Sailor Moon epiode 1 this morning and this evening you tell your spouse "I'm coming to bed after this episode is over." you might be a geek.

If you refer to your manga as "My babies." you might be a geek.

If you spend all your time on KumoriCon message boards, you might be a geek.   ;D

If you run around yelling "I WON THE GAME", you might be a geek (as well as very annoying).

If you have a cosplay for every day of the week, you might be a geek.

If you watch anime fansubs on your I-pod, you might be a geek.

If you text message your friends while watching Death Note in the theater, you might be a geek.

Hmmm...  that's all for now.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 08:38:55 pm by Wuntvor »
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 09:19:29 pm »
If both you and your guy/girl play WoW together, then you are fa sho a geek :D

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 10:22:29 pm »
First to Mustach--best post *evah* (at least as far as non-political spam goes!)

If your greatest sense of accomplishments comes from finding and solving all the Easter Eggs in your DVD collection, you might be a geek.
*guilty--I've even looked online for clues when stumped.

If you still have your original edition Atari, you might be a geek.
*guilty*

If you have more chains around your neck than an '80s rap band, when you attend a con, and they're all lanyards and laminates from staffing previous cons, you might be a geek.
*I don't do it, but could....*

If you watch a fan-vid such as Done the Impossible (a Serenity/Firefly fan vid), and you're friends with the fans featured in it, you might be a geek.

If your favorite cameo is Stan Lee in Mall Rats, you might be a geek.
*partly guilty*

If your cosplay is so obscure that only a handful of fanficcers recognize it (but they hail you and give homage when you do), you might be a geek.
*guilty--when I was Aragog on rollerskates from the boggart scene in HP & the Prisoner of Azkaban for the Deathly Hallows book release & the Order of the Phoenix film release.* *also got this response when a dolphin wearing a So Long, & Thanks for All the Fish! sign--see my avatar :)*

If you dream your fanfics before, during, and after your time writing them, you might be a geek.
*guilty*

Love this thread!

2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 10:58:04 pm »
You know you might be a nerd/geek if most of your friends you don't know irl.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 11:03:14 pm »
If you have more chains around your neck than an '80s rap band, when you attend a con, and they're all lanyards and laminates from staffing previous cons, you might be a geek.
(\__/)
(=','=)  *Guilty*
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 11:07:27 pm by Wuntvor »

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 08:38:12 am »
If you sing along perfectly (maybe not harmoniously) with the opening (or endings and whatnot) to various anime shows.....even if you are not watching them at the moment.

:P Guilty for some....Innocent for others! LOL.   :D
And so it begins...

Offline megchan

• Sailor Scout
    • An LJ that DOESN'T have locked entries?!
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 09:49:09 am »
(\__/)
(=','=)  *Guilty*

I AM QUITE GUILTY OF THIS TOO.

ps. why do these all have to be anime/videogame/comic related? : (

You might be a geek if your friends don't want to go the aquarium with you because you call all of the starfish and other echinoidea by their scientific names!
Anakin, you're breaking my heart if you don't come to "I'd Just as Soon Kiss a Wookiee: A Star Wars Panel" at Kumoricon!

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 10:53:31 am »
Oh I got one, this is for a friend not me but it is still funny.

You might be a geek if you hear any reference to WOW you come running out of your room to join the conversation saying "what?! WOW?!" *cough* Brian *cough*
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 10:54:35 am by nikkiolie »

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 11:01:28 am »
You might be a geek if when you're in your journalism class, a serious conversation suddenly turns into a conversation about World of Warcraft.
I have witnessed this happen more than once back in high school.

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 11:14:41 am »
I AM QUITE GUILTY OF THIS TOO.

ps. why do these all have to be anime/videogame/comic related? : (

You might be a geek if your friends don't want to go the aquarium with you because you call all of the starfish and other echinoidea by their scientific names!

We are just making fun of ourselves.  Otaku = Geek in the majority of minds.  If you want to replace geek with otaku in the anime themed ones feel free.

I took Oceanography in High School for college credit.  I still remember all the slides (shiver).  That was the first time I had squid.  The instructor brought some in and cooked it.  The only scientific name I still remember is the one for my catfish I had in my aquarium. Corydoras aeneus.  I have no idea why I remember that.  I also learned a lot about the RV Calypso after building the model and writing a report on it.  Jacques-Yves Cousteau was a great man, who did a lot for us all.  He will be missed.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 11:44:49 am »
you might be a geek if the internet goes down and you can tell by the sound of everyone coming out of their rooms into the hall XD

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 11:47:11 am »
You might be a nerd if you only get turned on by catpeople.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 11:48:35 am »
You might be a nerd if you only get turned on by catpeople.
-_- wow that is so true

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 11:56:02 am »
^ Thank you.

You might be a nerd if you're learning Japanese just to see if anime subtitles are accurate.

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 12:32:53 pm »
You might be a nerd if you KNOW japanese and are constantly commenting on wether of not the anime subtitles are accurate.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 01:03:48 pm »
I believe that Samwise Gamgee never quite got the credit he really deserved.

I could cry. THANK YOU! :) I mean he did have a happy ending with Rosie and his family, but still...and anyone who thinks he was gay is just PLAIN WRONG.

(And hopefully we all know I have NOTHING against Gays/Lesbians/Other. LOL)

DUDE! I'm so happy that other people agree! He had to put up with all that emo-Frodo crap. He should've been given a huge return ceremony or something! At least he got the girl.

Offline Toxikon

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 01:13:18 pm »
You might be a geek if when you're in your journalism class, a serious conversation suddenly turns into a conversation about World of Warcraft.
I have witnessed this happen more than once back in high school.

WoW is SRS BZNSS.
My Kumoricon 2008 photos can be found here.

Secret SakuraCon cosplay progress: 30%

Offline Deviant Spider

• Chibi
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 03:36:39 pm »
You might be a geek if you correct every person who says a japanese word around you, even if you mispronounce them yourself.

You might be a geek if you get angry when Manga is printed the american way. Instead of backwards.

You might be a geek if you can name all the first 150 pokemon, and you ARE one if you can name more.

You might be a geek if you own every animal or creature of tamagotchi or giga pet ever put out, or more than 5.

You ARE a nerd if you wear Naruto emblems to school, or the mall. (Outside of con)
Onyxspider@gmail.com

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2008, 07:54:22 pm »
You might be a nerd/geek if you can name more than five Japanese eras.

You might be an art nerd/geek if you can look an an anime like Blue Seed, Pheonix Wright, or InuYasha and freak out because a character has a magatama on them somewhere (chest, necklace, "Sit" beads)

If you knew what a magatama is without googling it, you are an art nerd. Congratulations. For the rest of you: http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=What+is+a+magatama%3F (minus the catty little note ;))

You might be a Japanese art nerd/geek if you freak out when a pokemon resembles Japanese art. (Bronzor and Bronzong, for instance).

You ARE a Japanese literary nerd/geek if you see any sort of flower EVER and suddenly your "sleeves are wet with tears".

You might be a nerd/geek if you know that Sasuke is the name of a famous ninja story that came out way before Naruto.

You might be a nerd/geek if you consider yourself a ninja just by trying a shirt around your head.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 07:55:09 pm by lychee-twist »

Offline Griff_the_dragoon

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 08:18:34 pm »
You might be a Japanese nerd/geek (otaku) if you carry around an itemaround your house from an Anime or Manga (example would be that you are carrying a plushy from XXXholic like Makona...)

China bound!!!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 09:04:52 pm »
If you crave fish-shaped waffles filled with bean paste, and you aren't in Japan, you may be a geek.

If your entire DVD collection is nothing but sci-fi and anime titles, you may be a geek.

If you bring tons of snacks to Anime Friday just so that more people will show up, you may be a geek.

If your richest relative calls you up to come help take the wheels off his new house, you may be a redneck.

If you are ever too drunk to fish, you may be a redneck.

If you yell kanpai when drinking, you may be a geek.

If you tell your down on his luck friend to "do your best", or "ganbatte" you may be a geek.

If you quote lines from anime, obscure and well known, to highlight your point of view, you may be a geek.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 09:32:01 pm by jaybug »
Have Fun

Jay

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2008, 09:12:01 pm »
But... but I love taiyaki. I even know how to make the bean paste (though it's never fully mashed)

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2008, 09:16:34 pm »
you might be a Japanese language nerd if when someone says a word for something thinking that's the meaning you go into the real meaning and the history of it.

(I've done this on several occasions on at least 3 words. >_>)
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2008, 10:43:26 pm »
you might be a Japanese language nerd if when someone says a word for something thinking that's the meaning you go into the real meaning and the history of it.

(I've done this on several occasions on at least 3 words. >_>)

An? With Azuki beans?

Jaybug, for a mild correction, you might also be a business man if you yell "kanpai" while dancing with your pants off in front of a group of people ;)

I recommend the movie "The Colonel Moves to Japan" or something similar. It's a documentary on KFC being introduced to Japan in the 80's. Also, "Tanpopo". I think it's about making ramen. I really want to watch that again.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2008, 01:37:42 pm »
*smiles at wuntvor & meg-chan*
*loves the green severum she's had for 10 years in her own aquarium*
*only just now noticed that her fishie's species name & her SN are almost homonyms*
*lols*

You may be a nerd if, on what may be your last trip back across the country to your childhood home for quite some time, you schedule the plans your high school friends want to have with you around watching Chuck and Heroes (when they're actually on TV), and imagine that as a true highlight of your vacation (since your boyfriend doesn't want you to watch tv).
......Uh, yeah. True. I wouldn't miss the Casey-focussed ep for anything! LOL.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2008, 05:25:29 pm »
You might be an art nerd/geek if you can look an an anime like Blue Seed, If you knew what a magatama is without googling it, you are an art nerd. Congratulations. For the rest of you: http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=What+is+a+magatama%3F (minus the catty little note ;))

What's funny about that is they call them "mitama" in Blue Seed.

OMG!!!  I'm a nerd/geek!!!  Oh, wait, I already knew that.

You might be a nerd/geek if you've seen more Hayao Miyazaki films than Disney animated motion picures.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2008, 12:10:14 am »
You might be a nerd if you actually care who'd win between pirates & ninjas.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2008, 12:28:54 am »
THAT VIDEO WAS AWESOME!!!  (Even though YouTube has shown just how evil it's become lately by not allowing the creator to make it a true remake of the original poop song).

You might be a nerd/geek if your lord and master is a talking cartoon squirrel named Foamy, located at http://www.illwillpress.com .  (Note: sometimes offensive material; if this bothers you, then leave it alone).

Offline megchan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2008, 12:41:45 am »
You might be a geek if you know that the boy you're supposed to be with for the rest of your life will reply with "my hands are dirty too, what are you afraid of?" when you first comment that your hands are dirty...
Anakin, you're breaking my heart if you don't come to "I'd Just as Soon Kiss a Wookiee: A Star Wars Panel" at Kumoricon!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2008, 12:46:38 am »
^ I honestly don't get that, but that's okay!

You might be a nerd/geek if you explain to your non-nerdy friends why hentai is just as good, if not better, than live-action adult films.

Offline megchan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2008, 12:55:08 am »

^^;;;;; It's from Empire Strikes Back. The scene where Han and Leia have their first kiss...I've had it memorized since I was 11...

Han: Hey your Worship, I was only trying to help!
Leia: Would you PLEASE stop calling me that?!
Han: Sure, Leia
Leia: You make it so difficult sometimes...
Han: I do, I really do. You could be a little nicer though. Come on, admit it, sometimes you think I'm alright...
Leia: *hurts her hand while trying to fix something on the Falcon* Occasionally....Maybe...when you're not acting like a scoundrel
Han: *starts rubbing her hand* Scoundrel? Scoundrel! I like the sound of that.
Leia: Stop that.
Han: Stop What?
Leia: Stop THAT! My hands are dirty!
Han: My hands are dirty too, what are you afraid of?

Leia: Afraid?
Han: You're trembling.
Leia: I'm not trembling.
Han: You like me because there aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
Leia: I happen to like nice men.
Han: I am a nice man..!
Leia: No you're not, you're a-

SMOOCHES!

Offline Tankou001

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2008, 01:00:09 am »
Well speaking of star was you may be a total nerd if ou know that Anikin did, in fact, balance the force when he threw the emperor into the chasm at the end of the 6'th movie XD
Cosplay Progress:
Akimichi Chouji: 90%
Big Macintosh: 20%

Offline Kumi4eva

• Chibi
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2008, 08:52:20 am »
If you sing along perfectly (maybe not harmoniously) with the opening (or endings and whatnot) to various anime shows.....even if you are not watching them at the moment.

:P Guilty for some....Innocent for others! LOL.   :D
really guilty i know over 10 of openings and endings from various animes

you might be a nerd/geek if you press the backspace key because your to lazy to move the mouse and click the back arrow
*guilty*
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 09:20:08 am by Kumi4eva »
Kumoricon 2016 costumes:
Frozen: Elsa - 30%
Black Sails: Anne Bonny - 0%
The Last of Us: Ellie (winter) - 75%
Maybes:
Kat - DMC
Annie - Dead Rising

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2008, 09:57:10 am »

^^;;;;; It's from Empire Strikes Back.

Oh, okay then.  (Sorry, I'm a trekkie.  SW isn't really my thing, except Robot Chicken).

You might be a nerd/geek if you can recite more than one version of Lina Inverse's Dragon Slave spell.

Offline DemonSpawn

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2008, 10:39:34 pm »
You might be a geek/nerd if you make pi jokes.
I miss 2010.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2008, 04:04:19 pm »
You might be a nerd/geek if you can still remember the names of the original five Power Rangers, their matching colors, and their matching zords.

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2008, 07:32:06 pm »
^ I'm guilty

Offline Teasel

• Catgirl
    • Facebook goodness
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2008, 12:57:46 pm »
You may be a geek if you have ever made out with a cardboard cut out of a character from an anime or a video game, and no one dared you to do it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 01:09:59 pm by Teasel »

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2008, 03:52:30 pm »
If you know the what and why of dilithium crystals, and where to get them, you might be a nerd/geek.

If you fear red shirts, and know why, you may be a nerd/geek.

If you shout "Warning, Danger Will Robinson" at apropos times, you may be a nerd/geek.

Have Fun

Jay

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2008, 03:56:14 pm »
If you know the what and why of dilithium crystals, and where to get them, you might be a nerd/geek.
If you fear red shirts, and know why, you may be a nerd/geek.
If you shout "Warning, Danger Will Robinson" at apropos times, you may be a nerd/geek.
so far very few of these have applied to me and suddenly you do 3 in a row? WAT!?!?!?! :D

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2008, 04:33:35 pm »
If you know what GROK means, you ARE a NERD/GEEK!

If you have researched arachnid venom from reading of Shelob's bite, you may be a nerd/geek.

If you know what thunder lizard translates into Latin, you may be a nerd/geek.

If you think time travel is not a question of if, but of when, you may be a nerd/geek.

If you know how to get to Rachel, Nevada, you may be a nerd/geek
Have Fun

Jay