Author Topic: Pocky Club endorsements for Election 2008-09  (Read 5552 times)

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Pocky Club endorsements for Election 2008-09
« on: October 05, 2008, 09:31:17 pm »
Pocky Club has discussed the candidates and once again we are ready to announce the people that we support. I thought that posting it here would be easier than posting in each of the department threads.

For President/Chair we support Valerie "Vallie" Munkres due to her work over the years in various departments and her ability to communicate well with a variety of parties both in the convention and outside of it (and not just because she's my wife).
Her favorite Pocky is Chocolate Dessert Pocky.

For Director of Programming we support Jaki Hunt. She is running unopposed. We still think that she's the right person for the job. Every problem that has been faced by Programming over the years has seen improvement and we believe that with her leadership the improvements can continue.
Her favorite flavor of Pocky is Men's Pocky.

For Director of Publicity we support Jeff Tyrrill. He's the only person running for this position and he has done a good job with the department over the last two years. The problems of information dispersal and other departmental duties that the club brought to my attention can be traced to a lack of staff in his department. Hopefully this year the department can get more people to help with publications so that Jeff's time can be dedicated to management and not the creation of the materials themselves.
Jeff likes the chunky Strawberry Pocky.

For Director of Relations we support Dawn Hewitt. Dawn is now the only one running for this position. We believe that her work this year as Vice Chair has shown her how to do a lot of things in the convention. One of these is how to communicate and coordinate with Industry contacts. We think that her communication skills will help her make a good Relations Director.
Dawn favors the kind of Pocky that she can eat without having an allergic reaction to, I'm sure I'll come up with something.

For Director of Operations we support Kenton Cook. This was a tough choice because of the number of well qualified candidates and Kenton is not the only candidate we like, he's just the one that is accepted by the most of us.. Kenton earned our support because he has answered the questions in the Ops thread decisively and to our liking. Also, he has been willing to declare the people he would appoint within his department, despite one of them (Rob Trotter) who is running against him. Kenton's attitude when dealing with staff and attendees has always been cooperative and we appreciate the way he has stepped up to act as a staffer even when he was not "on duty".
Of course, if our choice for con chair doesn't get elected then we will fully support Vallie's bid for Operations Director. ;)
Kenton has not declared a favorite flavor of Pocky, claiming that he can't choose just one.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 09:48:59 pm by TomtheFanboy »
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline modab

• Founder
  • Sailor Scout
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 02:24:11 pm »
Pocky Club has discussed the candidates and once again we are ready to announce the people that we support.

I am curious, having not been to a Pocky Club meeting, who you exactly mean by 'we'? Did you have a mini vote of the people present? You imply that the Pocky Club is at least in some part endorsing Valerie because she's your wife.
not just because she's my wife
is what you said. But of course not everybody in the Pocky Club is Valerie's wife :-)

I was also curious how many Pocky Club members at your meeting are Kcon staffers?
I have no problems with endorsements, I am just trying to figure out who is making the endorsements.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 02:25:14 pm by modab »
Peter Verrey, Founder

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 02:44:30 pm »
For sake of information, and not in defense:

Pocky Club itself was founded by Tom as a separate entity, which was eventually incorporated into Kumoricon officially.  While Tom is the President of Pocky Club, and holds the position of "Pocky Club Coordinator" with Kumoricon, there are many people who are considered members of Pocky Club at different levels of involvement with the convention, attendees, volunteers, and staff members.  They hold separate meetings, the most recent of which was at the Uwajimaya festival.  Tom sends out information to the entire mailing list, the other members respond.

Pocky Club makes recommendations every year and Tom didn't feel they should stop this tradition just because I am running.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 02:45:07 pm by valliegirl »
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 03:57:09 pm »
In addition to what Vallie already mentioned, I emailed out a review of candidates to the Pocky Club Membership about a week and a half ago asking for input on who we should officially back as our candidates. We discussed this at our meeting at Uwajimaya and a little bit online.

Most of the membership is not staff so many of them simply smile and nod with the recommendations of the group. This year the only two positions which are opposed are Operations and Chair. Vallie is well liked by the rest of the Club and has been a member since we were founded in 2005. This gives her an edge on top of any other arguments in her favor.

Operations on the other hand was argued between the various members of the Club since there are a wider variety of candidates who all have a great deal of experience in the department. This was actually debated among the Pocky Clubbers that will be voting this year and we were so split that a couple of people may end up voting for someone else. Kenton gained the majority of the Club's support so he is the Club's official candidate and the only one we'll discuss.

As far as how many people in Pocky Club are staff members, not many. We simply represent a large group of people at Kumoricon staff, volunteer, and otherwise involved. Sort of like a special interest group. If we had another month to coordinate before elections we probably would have announced our sponsorship with commercials on youtube.  :D
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline modab

• Founder
  • Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 04:33:47 pm »
Thanks for the info, both of you.

we probably would have announced our sponsorship with commercials on youtube.
OMG no that is a step too far ;D
Peter Verrey, Founder

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 04:59:57 pm »
Tom, I love you and the Club, and personally I have no problem with anyone listing their endorsements on the forum, and, duh, no one was going to think you or your group were going to pick anyone other than your wife for anything she was running for.
However, I strongly believe that the administrative FAQ thread is **not** the appropriate thread for the endorsements. And Staze has also stated that in the threads questioning candidates it is also not viewed as appropriate for peoples' endorsements or non-endorsements to be listed. Therefore, while, again, I think it is fine for subgroups of the con to come up with opinions, I believe they should be moved from this thread and placed in their own thread. This thread is up so that if anyone has questions about the elections process, they can ask them of the administrators, and so that those founders can list **facts** about **elections process**. Therefore I do not believe it is appropriate for anyone (and this would include founders) to list their **opinions, preferences, or intended votes** in this thread.

Point blank, if I were a moderator of the forums, I'd move your endorsements into your own thread. Certainly not delete them or anything. But keep the integrity of the FAQ thread.

Youtube wouldn't bother me so long as no one who asked to not be filmed was included.

Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 05:04:45 pm »
However, I strongly believe that the administrative FAQ thread is **not** the appropriate thread for the endorsements. And Staze has also stated that in the threads questioning candidates it is also not viewed as appropriate for peoples' endorsements or non-endorsements to be listed. Therefore, while, again, I think it is fine for subgroups of the con to come up with opinions, I believe they should be moved from this thread and placed in their own thread. This thread is up so that if anyone has questions about the elections process, they can ask them of the administrators, and so that those founders can list **facts** about **elections process**. Therefore I do not believe it is appropriate for anyone (and this would include founders) to list their **opinions, preferences, or intended votes** in this thread.

Point blank, if I were a moderator of the forums, I'd move your endorsements into your own thread. Certainly not delete them or anything. But keep the integrity of the FAQ thread.

You have a very good point Ellen.  If people don't mind it being in general discussion, I think it should be put there, since there isn't a place where in the Elections area where people are suppossed to express their opinions on the candidates.

Tom?  You have mod powers and it's your reply.  Do you mind terribly?  Nevermind ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 06:52:41 pm by valliegirl »

Offline modab

• Founder
  • Sailor Scout
Re: Pocky Club endorsements for Election 2008-09
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 06:30:46 pm »
Thank you for the input, both of you. Since I claim to be the Election Moderator, I'll move the posts to their own thread.
Peter Verrey, Founder

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 09:18:39 pm »
Just for the record I am a member of pocky club and have been since the begining and yes tom contacted me I gave him my input and he listened, I am also staff.

this is not saying i am garenteed to vote the pocky endorcement but I do feel I have a better grasp of the strenghs of who is running after attending the pocky club meeting

and really If anyone wants to know what goes on at a pocky club meeting, wouldnt it just be better to show up at one?  to my knolage no one have ever been turned away from a meeting, exept for super secret pocky projects like the pocky tans or our skit planning, and even then a swear to secretcy has worked
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 09:52:55 pm by superjaz »
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline modab

• Founder
  • Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 11:00:18 pm »
No, I don't think it would be better for me to show up at one. I live in Eugene, and it's much simpler to just ask someone instead of drive for four hours to a random meeting  :P
Peter Verrey, Founder

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 11:19:09 pm »
Thanks for understanding (Vallie) and moving the thread (Peter). It would be interesting to see if there are other subunits of the con (or even just groups of friends) who decide as a group whom they feel they endorse to the point of wanting others to know about it. Especially given that this is a Presidential Election year, the sociology of how elections are held, campaigns are conducted, and voting decisions are made, is fascinating and worthy of notice.
--Rem.

(P.S. If anyone hasn't yet seen it, "Slacker Uprising," by Michael Moore, addresses the subject of such sociology (in its own way), and is available online from Michael Moore for free download by any US or Canadian citizen.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 11:30:46 pm »
*chuckles* if only the yojimbo were so tight kit. sadly when the con ends we all run off on our own like dragon balls after a wish :) Takes a whole year to get us all back together again
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 11:32:10 pm »
*chuckles* if only the yojimbo were so tight kit. sadly when the con ends we all run off on our own like dragon balls after a wish :) Takes a whole year to get us all back together again
You might consider having a yahoo group and staying in touch, off-forum, throughout the year. I know that really helps us in fan creation....

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 10:00:12 am »
it's much simpler to just ask someone instead of drive for four hours to a random meeting  :P

"random"

there is nothing random about a planned meeting, pocky club meetings are planned weeks to a month in advance, members see a forum thread and are e-mailed and asked what days work for them and a day is picked and anounced

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 10:16:23 am »
I actually found Pocky Club's analysis of candidates very informative.

I didn't feel very well informed for voting and stuff like this helps.  Most of the ops canidates I wouldn't recognize by face if I saw them at the election meeting.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 11:10:57 am »
  Most of the ops canidates I wouldn't recognize by face if I saw them at the election meeting.

if it helps try hair paul
girls tend to have longer hair then boys

brownies hair is really long and dark brown like a brownie wears it tied back  :D

jaki's is long too but not as long as brownies and is worn down light brown with i think just a hint of redish to it

vallies is a little past shoulder lenghth med brown with a bit of blond to it from summer and she has glasses too that should help

and meg's hair is above shoulder and is blond and some times gets dyed blue

and me i have long brown hair with bangs that i will always have

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 12:15:45 pm »
But what about the guys?  Most of them have short hair!  How will we ever tell them apart?!?

/end silly time

Offline gemineye42

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 02:49:20 pm »
Is pocky club going to endorse recommended candidates for board-elected positions?
I can has cheezburger?

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 03:33:51 pm »
No Morgan, I didn't include them in my review emails so there's not time to get any sort of consensus among the Club.

For those of you having trouble remembering who is who, maybe this could help.
http://pockyclub.elite-otaku.net/staff.html

I got it finishes weeks ago and I don't plan on updating it until....oh.... next week. Keep in mind some of the people have dropped out since I made this.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 10:35:15 pm »
Since this is the closest thing we have to a nominee pro/con thread, I have something else I want to go into.
Vallie is my wife and I support her in everything, but politically there are some good reasons to NOT vote for other people.
Here's why we didn't support Waffles. HE'S A LOOSE CANNON!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 12:45:26 pm »
Oh hey guys, in case you can't make it to the meeting, make sure your vote counts!
http://pockyclub.elite-otaku.net/proxycontract_fillable.pdf

PROXY VOTE is better than NO VOTE.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!