Author Topic: Cosplay Rant.  (Read 13586 times)

Offline Soubi

• Sailor Scout
Cosplay Rant.
« on: August 12, 2008, 10:52:20 pm »
I wasn't sure if this would make sense to go in the Cosplay board, so here it is. :(

This isn't aimed at anyone here, or even anyone in the entire world. No one in particular. It's just things I've noticed among cosplayers that...sort of irritate me and I really want to rant a bit.

Okay.
First off.
BUGGING NORMAL PEOPLE WHILE IN COSTUME.
Okay. I'm all for going out in public in cosplay. Awesome. Super. I love doing it.
BUT.
Acting IN CHARACTER around people who DO NOT UNDERSTAND is LAME.
I recently saw a youtube video where an Axel was ordering something at McD's, and at the end (after being a snob), said "Got it Memorized?" in a really irritating voice to the cashier.
Now. I work at Dairy Queen locally.
You know what happens in the back where you can't hear? People like this are not called nice things.
I'd love it if an Axel cosplayer wandered into my work. I'd probably pass out from joy. But if they treated me like that? I'd be pretty annoyed.
It's rude.
Be nice to normal people.

Next.
MATERIALS USED FOR COSTUMES.
Guys.
FELT AND SATIN ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS.
Felt does this thing called PILLING. It looks AWFUL. DO NOT DO IT.
Satin can ruin anything. Satin is SHINY. Shiny is cool for distractions. Not for your costume.
I have seen very well designs costumes, amazing sewing work....Completely ruined by SATIN.
Don't.
Do.
It.
PLEASE.

And now!
PROPS!
CARDBOARD.
NOT. COOL.
and duct tape is even WORSE.
Cardboard is an alright base.
Not as the ENTIRE THING.

.../groans.
Rant done.
italics, bold, underline abuse.
Whoooo.
SakuraCon '08: Touma (Gravitation) & Zexion (KH:CoM)
KumoriCon '08: Zexion (KH:CoM) & Tatsumi (Yami no Matsuei)
AkiCon '08: Zexion (KH:CoM)
SakuraCon '09: Miku (Vocaloid)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Cosplay Rant.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 10:57:01 pm »
You eloquently voiced what I'm sure the majority of those of us who actually think about these things think. I completely agree with what you said. I enjoy making props more and more each year, so your comments about cardboard and duct tape, I'm very much in agreement with you on those. Those two materials do not make a quality product, they cannot make a quality product, not on their own anyway. I've used duct tape once, and I made darn sure that it was not noticeable or even seen, it was only for support and reinforcement. That's all it should ever be used for, not as some silver-paint substitute......ack....that's just awful, lol.

So yeah, I agree with you there.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

oslapedo

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 10:57:32 pm »
I personally like cardboard cosplay. Some of them turn out gloriously amazing. I love the cardboard replications of Gundams and other mecha, they're fantastic  :D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 10:58:22 pm by oslapedo »

Offline Soubi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 10:59:17 pm »
n.n;; Heh. thanks.

I kind of hope I don't wind up offending anyone...
I was ranting to myself when I was cleaning the dinning room at work, and came up with this.
I think I had something to do with wigs and such too. :/ But I'm tired.

edit: Add to that last bit: ....We had some irritating customers. :/ Which got me on the "snobs aren't well liked" bit. I had one who stood there for like. 5 minutes, staring at me. And I'm standing there, ready to take her order. And she goes "D< ARE YOU GOING TO TAKE MY ORDER OR NOT?!"
/groan.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 11:02:40 pm by Soubi »

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 11:02:35 pm »
I am using cardboard on one thing and I might even replace it with the plastic once I get it. But yeah I agree totally. As for the satin I am using it on my Albel costume and it looks ok...the only problem is that it sheads and gets all over my costume. Other then that it looks really great.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1584261/ here is an example of what the belt looks like. I think it looks good ^_^

Offline Soubi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 11:03:29 pm »
I am using cardboard on one thing and I might even replace it with the plastic once I get it. But yeah I agree totally. As for the satin I am using it on my Albel costume and it looks ok...the only problem is that it sheads and gets all over my costume. Other then that it looks really great.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1584261/ here is an example of what the belt looks like. I think it looks good ^_^
It's only for the belt though, right?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 11:05:31 pm by Soubi »

Offline saya-chan14

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 11:03:54 pm »
i agree i hate when people do that i undresant when they stay in CHARACTER just not when there rude like i will not go into CHARACTER buy parents or people at places were u buy stuff or get food when im cosplaying as Hidan
Sakura 11 cosplays
CC
Yosuke
Libra

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 11:06:49 pm »

The Satin is only on the belt yes. as for the cardboard it is on the shoulder armor (that isn't in that picture). When I took a full on picture of it I could see the lines from the cardboard.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 11:07:35 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 11:08:09 pm »
I don't know if it would work, but I think Gesso is used some times for smoothing out materials and trying to cover up those lines and creases and what not on products. If you stick with cardboard, that may be a way to go.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Soubi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 11:09:05 pm »

The Satin is only on the belt yes. as for the cardboard it is on the shoulder armor (that isn't in that picture). When I took a full on picture of it I could see the lines from the cardboard.

See, satin doesn't bother me when it's in such TINY amounts. Heck, it looks decent there. It looks like it's supposed to be shiny.
...But.
An entire outfit.
Out of satin.
/headdesk.
No. Just. No.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 11:09:51 pm by Soubi »

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 11:10:45 pm »
I agree. I don't think there should ever be an entire costume of satin. Unless the costume is supposed to be shiny. I will do whatever makes the costume look the best.

Offline Soubi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 11:12:44 pm »
I disagree. Nothing should be THAT shiny. There are a variety other things that could work. Never ever ever should satin be used. x_X

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 12:52:15 am »
yeah I tend to cosplay in public a bit but going into character would be really annoying. ecspecially with people who have no idea what your doing. being in charater os meant for friends and cons' only.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Ryu-chan

• Chibi
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 04:10:13 am »
....We had some irritating customers. :/ Which got me on the "snobs aren't well liked" bit. I had one who stood there for like. 5 minutes, staring at me. And I'm standing there, ready to take her order. And she goes "D< ARE YOU GOING TO TAKE MY ORDER OR NOT?!"
/groan.

ugh snobs, such losers that dont belong i agree, especially the ones that are all like *the customer is always right* crap, BS! that stuff died back in the 90s. the day any of my bad customers can actually get up and do my job to show me how its done is the day i leave and let them have it and after 3 years im still working here -.-;; when i have someone complain to my boss because i dont suck up to them or apparently i did something bad he'll just say he'll talk to me about it, they leave, he comes to the back, laughs then lets me go on break for having to deal with those people!!! BLAH bottled up anger sucks <<;;; and im totally off topic hmm...

oh right, bugging other people who aren't as into cosplay( don't really wanna say normal people because no one is anymore) honestly, agreed its only for friends and cons, there's a thing called maturity and for the *few* cosplayers that dont about it and go into a retail/restaurant PLEASE LEARN IT... now its ok to be yourself and act the way you want and all but there IS a limit and the few that go beyond that limit makes everyone look bad, that goes the same for everything else in fact like race, religion, culture, gender, and sexual orientation. the world just keeps going deeper and deeper into chaos with the few bad things overlapping the many good things....
ok...i think i'll stop ranting for now......^^;; sleep time~

Offline FizzTheCarbonated

• Sailor Scout
    • http://aimeeevilpixie.deviantart.com
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 08:14:11 am »
I disagree. Nothing should be THAT shiny. There are a variety other things that could work. Never ever ever should satin be used. x_X

Disagree somewhat.  If you're going to use satin, (for, say, Belldandy's goddess costume.  That's a good one for it) use BRIDAL SATIN.  Get the good stuff.  Don't get that $1.99 a yard crap.  It doesn't sew worth anything, it sheds, and it looks horrible.  Bridal satin, on the other hand, is good quality, fairly easy to sew, and can give good results.  It was an appropriate choice for my She-Ra costume, for example.

Overall, though, satin should be avoided.  It's only one letter away from Satan for a reason, folks!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:27:41 am by FizzTheCarbonated »
Your Darwin fish will not protect you from my wrath!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 08:20:23 am »
I think the satin in that costume looks really good. I don't know if that was what you were trying to get across in that picture or not.

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 08:28:16 am »
I think the satin in that costume looks really good. I don't know if that was what you were trying to get across in that picture or not.

I was, I just had a slight malfunction with my url tag, making it seem like I was saying the opposite.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 08:29:40 am »
Yeah, contrary to the fabric's reputation, the satin in that photo looked really good. It definitely did not (at least) look like the cheap shiny, sleazy fabric that it usually looks like, heh.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 10:21:55 am »
Yeah, contrary to the fabric's reputation, the satin in that photo looked really good. It definitely did not (at least) look like the cheap shiny, sleazy fabric that it usually looks like, heh.

And that is because it's GOOD satin.  The cheap $1.99 a yard stuff should be burned.

Offline laurifer

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 11:05:25 am »
I really liked how you described the first one, cos it BUGS ME ALLLLL THE TIME. Good to know I'm not the only one around here who thinks that's lame :P

Sig by me~~~

Cosplay for '08:
Probably none D:

Offline Soubi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 11:57:35 am »
I agree with the bridal satin part. I like that costume, by the way. But that isn't WTFSHINY. It's barely shiny at all. :(

Laur- Thanks. <3

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 12:36:56 pm »
Okay.
First off.
BUGGING NORMAL PEOPLE WHILE IN COSTUME.
Okay. I'm all for going out in public in cosplay. Awesome. Super. I love doing it.
BUT.
Acting IN CHARACTER around people who DO NOT UNDERSTAND is LAME.
I recently saw a youtube video where an Axel was ordering something at McD's, and at the end (after being a snob), said "Got it Memorized?" in a really irritating voice to the cashier.
Now. I work at Dairy Queen locally.
You know what happens in the back where you can't hear? People like this are not called nice things.
I'd love it if an Axel cosplayer wandered into my work. I'd probably pass out from joy. But if they treated me like that? I'd be pretty annoyed.
It's rude.
Be nice to normal people.

I quite agree.

Not that "freaking the mundanes" isn't an entirely worthy pursuit. But a successful freaking results in the target being confused or surprised. ;) Not angry.

Next.
MATERIALS USED FOR COSTUMES.
Guys.
FELT AND SATIN ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS.
Felt does this thing called PILLING. It looks AWFUL. DO NOT DO IT.
Satin can ruin anything. Satin is SHINY. Shiny is cool for distractions. Not for your costume.
I have seen very well designs costumes, amazing sewing work....Completely ruined by SATIN.
Don't.
Do.
It.
PLEASE.

I once commissioned a costume where the seamstress used satin shoe covers for greaves.

They lasted about one day.

I now have real metal.

But in defense of the seamstress, she was a single mother who was doing it as a hobby, so don't think too harshly of her. As for felt...never gone there, never will.

And now!
PROPS!
CARDBOARD.
NOT. COOL.
and duct tape is even WORSE.
Cardboard is an alright base.
Not as the ENTIRE THING.

At least half a dozen times I've seen people going to Sakura Con in unpainted cardboard Gundam costumes. I've always wondered why you'd want to do something like that. It's not really funny or clever; it just looks sort of dumb.

But an entire costume made out of duct tape... now THAT I find hilarious and worthwhile. Mostly because I know that it is time consuming, and costs more than cardboard. ;) (Also, I'm in the SCA, where we have "a thing" for duct tape)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 12:39:13 pm by Radien »
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 06:13:58 pm »
I realy do think this belongs in cosplay chat,

anywho I like satin and at the price I paid of 40 cents a yard, I got costume satin which is built for costumes, mashine wash cold man
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 07:09:42 pm »

anywho I like satin and at the price I paid of 40 cents a yard, I got costume satin which is built for costumes, mashine wash cold man

It probably does, but I don't think it's a big deal. People mostly go to Cosplay Chat to talk about making costumes, whereas all of us end up interacting with cosplayers at some point if we go to the con.

Not that my opinion matters much right now, as I'm not a moderator...

Apollo Justice

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2008, 07:19:10 pm »
What? No cardboard and duct tape!? WHATEVER!
Cardboard and duct tape are great materials to play with, y'all need to chill out and let other people wear whatever they want, don't be so bossy.

Anyway, This belongs in Cosplay chat.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Soubi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 07:21:47 pm »
Feel free to move it if it's in the wrong place.

It was merely a rant. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. If you want to use cardboard, ducttape, and wtfshiny satin, feel free. :/ It merely irritates me.

edit: Oh my, I was moved.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 07:22:16 pm by Soubi »

Offline xxxchihiroxxx

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantart
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 07:38:29 pm »
hmm...
point one i do agree with you but it is also fun to scare them a bit with freaky costumes and such xD i remeber my friend was telling me he was wearing a huge sonic costume one time, and there was a new game he wanted that day so he went to the local game crazy before the panel he was planning to attend, and the shop keeper freaked out. he calmed down afer a momment once he got over the shock.... it is fun to a degree, just remeber basic manners, like being polite and kind.

point two, i believe the good satin can be used in great ways. but only the good kind, for the right costume, and if its sewn well.

point three.... duck tape i have grown a horrible hate for. mostly because its my dads favorite tool... he stole my shoes one day and covered them in duck tape claiming they where tatered and this would save them... i threw the shoes out and bought a new pair but i remeber being very pissed at him about it.
and i have seen some cool stuff done in cardboard, last year or the year before some one went as a pocky box, they used cardobard and a heck of a lot of paint. it turned out great and it was an awsome costume xD cardboard can be fun sometimes!
returning with a vengeance to K con~

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2008, 08:42:31 pm »
I agree with all of those and have a couple to add.

1)  Horrible Costume giant sword.

I REALLY hate it when people show up in horribly half assed costumes, obviously, put on the back burner for a GIANT weapon and then walk around like they are the BEST. Sorry Zabuza with 12 ft sword, not impressed.

2) Kind of the opposite side of 'people who are always in character'; people at cons who get pissed at you being IC

I'll just use an example; for Fanime and a gasukan I went as mini-Byakuya. He is one volume of the manga, so no, i did not expect many people to get it. However, I was REALLY annoyed when I'd get shoved out of the picture or dirty looks when I tried to get in a photo shoot. As a rule if there is a character I don't know in a picture I just assume that THEY know what they are doing and that I have just not seen that chapter/episode yet.
 I KNOW what I'm doing, if you don't ASK instead of getting all bitchy.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:44:33 pm by ThiefKingsHier »

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 09:06:03 pm »
Whats wrong with giant swords, I like giant swords. Also is there something wrong with not having the best cosplay in the world. Some people have lives outside of cosplay and cant spent all their time and money on cosplay. ( Cause then what would I spend in the exibitors hall ) It seems a couple of people have the idea of "Go big or go home" when it comes to cosplay and everyone should follow that rule. If you can only afford or have the time for cardboard and duct tape then do it, no one should be denied the fun of dressing up at an anime convention because some might not think you spent the necessary effort on your costume.

If you are in the Convention space then by all means stay in character, but if you have to deal with convention or hotel staff be polite. I would hate to have it be hard on k-con staff to find places to have conventions because some cant distinguish between real people and fictional characters. Also I don't see Ron Pearlman going to Mcdonalds acting like Hellboy so give it a rest when out of the convention space.

Ok there is my Rant, wow that kinda felt good.

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 09:27:02 pm »
Also is there something wrong with not having the best cosplay in the world. Some people have lives outside of cosplay and cant spent all their time and money on cosplay.

Huh, that was highly unnecessary.  Cosplay is one of my lowest priorities and 'elitists' are something I dislike even more.
Props usually cost a lot more time and money than the costume.
A weapon doesn't make the costume.
Plus a lot of times they are so bloody arrogant about it.

It's embarrassing when I go out to dinner with a group at a con and they remain in character for the entirety. No doubt it does not help the stereotype that all cosplayers are immature.

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2008, 09:43:28 pm »

The thing about satin, though, is it's entirely inaccurate for the vast majority of costumes.  It's a modern material, it hasn't been around for all that long.  For example, Inuyasha is set in feudal Japan--satin didn't exist then.  It's completely inaccurate to make Inuyasha's outfit out of satin.  (Something that I have seen.)  It should be cotton. 

The other major negative about costume satin is that it's nigh-impossible to sew, especially for a beginner.  It slips and slides around, it warps on the bias, it's hard to iron, and it frays like crazy.  It has no body to it, it just drapes straight down and looks bad for the vast majority of outfits.  It won't hold a pleat, it doesn't breathe, and it very rarely looks good.

I'm not completely against satin, as I've said before.  There are certainly costumes where it's called for--Sailor Moon costumes come to mind.  But if one must use satin, bridal satin is far superior in pretty much every way--it has a good drape, it had body, it holds pleats/it's shape well, and it can be ironed without accidentally melting it.

Me?  Most of my costumes are made of cotton twill.  Easy to work with, breathes, and is accurate for most costumes.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 09:43:55 pm by FizzTheCarbonated »

Offline Chek

• Chibi
    • Cheklov's Stupidblog
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 10:32:46 pm »
Whats wrong with giant swords, I like giant swords. Also is there something wrong with not having the best cosplay in the world. Some people have lives outside of cosplay and cant spent all their time and money on cosplay. ( Cause then what would I spend in the exibitors hall ) It seems a couple of people have the idea of "Go big or go home" when it comes to cosplay and everyone should follow that rule.

I think what was meant was disregarding the rest of the costume entirely in favor of a nifty big sword.

And I'm personally a fan of, "If you can't be awesome, you can at least become epic in your failure."

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2008, 02:46:13 am »
The other major negative about costume satin is that it's nigh-impossible to sew, especially for a beginner.  It slips and slides around, it warps on the bias, it's hard to iron, and it frays like crazy.  It has no body to it, it just drapes straight down and looks bad for the vast majority of outfits.  It won't hold a pleat, it doesn't breathe, and it very rarely looks good.

Yeah, satin pretty much always wrinkles if it's sewn in layers. If you can do otherwise, then you are a better man than I (any irony in that statement is intentional).

I'm not completely against satin, as I've said before.  There are certainly costumes where it's called for--Sailor Moon costumes come to mind.  But if one must use satin, bridal satin is far superior in pretty much every way--it has a good drape, it had body, it holds pleats/it's shape well, and it can be ironed without accidentally melting it.

Satin is perfect for She-Ra because I'm willing to bet the artists who designed She-Ra didn't do any historical research, either. ;) Your costume was awesome, by the way, especially next to a pirate.

I also remember seeing a photo of a Rainbow Brite cosplayer that had lots of satin. That seemed equally appropriate.

Me?  Most of my costumes are made of cotton twill.  Easy to work with, breathes, and is accurate for most costumes.

YAY ORGANIC MATERIALS. They breathe!

...Except leather. And about 70% of my next costume is made out of leather. Mock me if you must. It will be hot to wear, but the payoff is that it'll be wickedsweet. ^^

Apollo Justice

Offline Kumi-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2008, 04:04:26 am »
Costume satin is built for cheapo Halloween costumes which are meant to last one day.

Fabric choice is key when it comes to making my costumes. After color, drape, weight, texture and price are my next priorities. I stick to cotton twill and linen-look cotton/rayon/poly blend for 80% of what I do, with a mixture of moleskin/upholstry suede, suiting, and certain polyester wovens for the rest. Except in the case of specialty projects, like the velvet used for the outfits in my avatar (justified in the case of Renaissance style). I've got my first large-scale satin project coming up too, but one, it's matte bridal satin (16+ yards of the stuff, dear lord), and two, it's for a CLAMP design. Satin was the only fabric that made sense besides silk, and I wasn't going to pay for 16 yards of real silk, especially when what I could find was far too lightweight for what I needed.

Hair (wigs, to be more precise) and shoes are pet peeves of mine. I know a lot of people can't afford a super-nice wig, so I not to think about it too much. To me, the extra money's worth it because nicer wigs not only look better, they last longer. I've got a medium-quality wig that I've probably worn 20 times and owned for 4 years, and it still looks fantastic because the fiber's good (Sepia is a wonderful brand). If you're not that picky or don't plan on wearing it more than a couple of times that's different, but if not, why not buy something you won't have to replace by next con because the original's totally matted or fuzzy? It doesn't have to be really expensive. I've made a really nice wig by sewing two $16 costume wigs together (lovely fiber, actually), and I only went that far because I wanted it to be super-thick.

Don't wear dirty sneakers with your nice costume unless the character actually wears dirty sneakers. It doesn't have to be spot on accurate...shoes can be one of the hardest aspects of a costume...but try to go for the right family at least. Clean flip flops if you can't buy pricy geta sandals, brown or black slip ons for school shoes. Walmart, Payless, and thrift stores are full of cheap options if you don't have something that works in your closet. That's where I get most of my shoes.

And something everyone can do to make their cosplay look ten times better: Iron! Starch if you can. Even if it's a t-shirt, it'll look fresher and newer if it's clean and crisp.
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl
Wig fanatic, props junkie, fabric snob, cosplay addict

Smile smile!

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2008, 04:49:30 am »
(...is satin okay if it's supposed to be really shiny, and I couldn't find any other swimsuit fabric in the color I wanted? D8;; It's stretchy and was in/near the bridal section, if that counts for anything... It was like 10.99 per yard.)

I guess to contribute...

So when I was first getting into serious cosplay, and I hadn't learned to sew or anything like that, I commissioned this costume of Hinaichigo from Rozen Maiden.  Here are some pictures of Hinaichigo:
http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/69/hinaichigo8il.png
http://www.rozen-unyu.net/drama-char-1/char-drama-6-02.jpg
http://img347.imageshack.us/img347/8927/rm45vh9.png

Now, for whatever reason, this person decided to make the main piece out of velvet... Blindingly disgusting hot pink velvet.  I believe the ad said it would be made out of cotton, so what the hell?  We paid like a hundred bucks on that thing!  (plus the sleeves were too short, but that was probably my fault for measuring wrong.) It wasn't completely accurate either, so that pissed me off.  Just...if you're going to make costumes for a living, at least look at more than one picture of the character first!
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2008, 08:37:28 am »

Don't wear dirty sneakers with your nice costume unless the character actually wears dirty sneakers. It doesn't have to be spot on accurate...shoes can be one of the hardest aspects of a costume...but try to go for the right family at least. Clean flip flops if you can't buy pricy geta sandals, brown or black slip ons for school shoes. Walmart, Payless, and thrift stores are full of cheap options if you don't have something that works in your closet. That's where I get most of my shoes.

I took the time to dye a pair of pink converse I have to purple and cut out armor for my costumes and attach it to the shoes. I really think that the shoes help bring the costume together. There is only two things that I am missing on my costume for Albel. The armor that is around his arm (its not in my signature picture) and I don't have red contacts.

Other than that I think if you want to cosplay a character you need to do everything you can to match the costume.

Offline Soubi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2008, 12:00:21 pm »
Other than that I think if you want to cosplay a character you need to do everything you can to match the costume.
That's the best I can say.
I will never say I'm an amazingly cosplayer. Ever. I have a lot to learn, still.
All we can do is do the best we can.

(I have to say: The idea of 1.99$ satin is going to burn me forever. e___e; )

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2008, 03:33:00 pm »
i think matirials absolutely can turn good sewing into great a great costume, and nice fabric can to a certain extent really take away from less than awesome sewing.

i think some people are getting confused about the word "satin" a little bit.

satin isn't a fiber,  its a weave.  you can make satin out of pretty much anything, cotton, rayon, silk, polyester, nylon, bamboo...not sure about linen but i think you get what im saying. also, there are going to be different weights and styles of fabric labeled satin, everything from nice usable "bridal weight"  to flimsy...lets call it "Halloween" weight (which actually does have a purpose in life).  also its been around for quite a while, its a little hard to tell specifically since fabric doesn't hang around too long in the archaeological record.

also cotton didnt get to japan in large amounts until about 1700-1800ish  so if some kinda anime is based before that time fame, and you wanna be an sca-like fiber nazi, no cotton.
which kinda brings me to my own personal vendetta,

cotton broadcloth.

its awesome! it comes in many colors! it breaths! its relatively affordable! and for some reason i friken hate it!

it usually doesn't hang well, and wrinkles like a bitch, and tends to look a little cheap at the end of a humid day esspecially in front of a camera.  i mean ive used it, im compelled by the colors, but i always try to fit a higher quality fabric in there with it to fancy it up a bit.
ok im done with that.

ive said it before and ill say it again,  i really want to put together some kinda fiber cosplay panel, i think it would be interesting and alot of people could benefit from it.
Commissioning again!
Props, wigs and costumes.
twilighsewmurai@gmail.com

custom Amigurumi also available. (etsy shop coming soon)

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2008, 03:59:31 pm »
This is a very interesting (and helpful) thread. In my early cosplaying days, I never paid attention to what kind of fabric I was buying - just the color, which is kinda lame, but hey. After taking fashion design and actually got experience sewing, it started making a lot of sense.

Currently I am working with pleather. I've never sewn with pleather before, so here's hoping it's not too difficult. However, the alternatives would have had to been rubber or..something. I'm really hoping people aren't too picky. :( Because this pattern making process is a bitch! haha

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2008, 04:02:26 pm »

ive said it before and ill say it again,  i really want to put together some kinda fiber cosplay panel, i think it would be interesting and alot of people could benefit from it.

My boyfriend and I cover these kinds of things in our Ten Commandments of Cosplay Panel.  ^_^  We're very big proponents of proper fabric choice.

Cotton broadcloth is okay, but I really prefer cotton twill with a touch of spandex when I can get my hands on it.  It can be hard to find in all the colors I need, though.  The costume I'm working on currently is a uniform, so I found wool suit-weight fabric for it.

(Incidentally, according to wiki, satin is made with silk, nylon or polyester.  Sateen is what you get when you use a satin weave on cotton.  My sheets are cotton sateen, they are not satin.  ^_~)

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
    • http://www.cosplaylab.com/search.asp?keyword=Lillian+Sullivan+&category=member&x=8&y=6
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2008, 04:07:28 pm »

(Incidentally, according to wiki, satin is made with silk, nylon or polyester.  Sateen is what you get when you use a satin weave on cotton.  My sheets are cotton sateen, they are not satin.  ^_~)

i know, i just didn't want to confuse the situation further.  and its still pretty much the same weave.

does that panel always go on or is it new?  i often dont get to make it to the event i want.
Commissioning again!

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2008, 04:23:40 pm »

i know, i just didn't want to confuse the situation further.  and its still pretty much the same weave.

Yeah, totally.  However, you can't deny that satin sheets and sateen sheets have completely different connotations.  One says, "I'm from the 70's!" and the other says, "I'm soft and pretty!"

does that panel always go on or is it new?  i often dont get to make it to the event i want.

This is our first year doing it at Kumoricon.  We debuted it at Sakura-Con and it was well-received.

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2008, 04:58:49 pm »
Whats wrong with giant swords, I like giant swords. Also is there something wrong with not having the best cosplay in the world. Some people have lives outside of cosplay and cant spent all their time and money on cosplay. ( Cause then what would I spend in the exibitors hall ) It seems a couple of people have the idea of "Go big or go home" when it comes to cosplay and everyone should follow that rule.

I think what was meant was disregarding the rest of the costume entirely in favor of a nifty big sword.

And I'm personally a fan of, "If you can't be awesome, you can at least become epic in your failure."

Yes that is what I meant thank you.  And not so much the cosplayer themselves as the groups that act like those ARE the best cosplays EVER.

Ha, I guess you've got a point there.

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2008, 05:51:37 pm »
I find that people seem to love costumes with giant props or large wings, and heck, I'm attracted to giant props too. But when I make a costume with a giant prop, I make sure to do a very good job on the costume so that my costume won't look absolutely terrible in comparison.

Yes, people tend to have an elitist air about them when cosplay gets involved. I've been the brunt of that several times, as well as many people whom I have taken pictures of at conventions and then shown the pictures to several girls interested in cosplay at my school.

Ironing is one of my major peeves. Not because not very many people do it, no... Because every last one of my costumes takes two or more people to iron it. One person to hold the ten+ pound garment up, one to hold the bit of cloth in a flat place, and another to do the ironing. So, you know, please forgive me if you see me at the con and my costume doesn't look like it's been ironed within the last week. I don't have two people constantly on-hand willing to help me iron a costume.

Offline Kumi-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2008, 11:12:48 pm »
A handheld steamer's a godsend for those big heavy pieces. Hang the costume up, plug in your steamer, and go to town. I got mine at the thrift store for about $4.

For flat ironing, a table board and a bed to place it on are good options. It allows you to work on stuff one area at a time without it dragging all over the floor. (Also lets you starch stuff.)
Rumiko Takahashi fangirl
Wig fanatic, props junkie, fabric snob, cosplay addict

Smile smile!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2008, 05:54:33 am »
I find that people seem to love costumes with giant props or large wings, and heck, I'm attracted to giant props too. But when I make a costume with a giant prop, I make sure to do a very good job on the costume so that my costume won't look absolutely terrible in comparison.

Yeah, I'm the same way. I really do love big, monstrous props and weapons, heh. I think the prop I'm making for this year's costume could testify to that. I am making sure to not disregard the other aspects of my costume though. It wouldn't make sense for the weapon to look good but the costume itself to look like dook. It's called Cosplay....not Weaplay, or Proplay, lol

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2008, 09:50:30 am »
I am kinda in the same boat. I spent so much time on the Armor and I think that the one thing that could sue a little work is the shirt.

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2008, 10:59:24 am »

I'm bringing Bankai Zabimaru with me. He's kind of cool and all, but I spend more more time worrying about the rest of the costume.

No, a shihakushou ( Bleach shinigami uniforms) is not difficult to make  but like most traditional Japanese ...everything, there is very specific way of wearing them.
 Not to mention all the extra cloth from those loong-ass ties. They always gt bunched up and lumpy and grrrr. I Hate them.

...I Guess that was a rant in itself.

Offline pinkrandomattack

• Chibi
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2008, 11:10:25 am »
i just think i want to ad to this, i think if i see another ichigo with safety orange hair i might have to kick myself in the head. no matter what color the ink in the animation is, his hair is intended to be kinda a strawberry blond kinda thing, not traffic cone orange.  and besides no one looks good in that color.

the end.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 07:53:33 pm by pinkrandomattack »
Commissioning again!

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2008, 01:22:32 pm »
I'm the other way around. Props are my bane. At least, weapon props are. I could spend as much money on props as the rest of the costume and still not end up with the same level of quality.

And then there's the part about having to carry them around... ugh. Pain in the rear.

Apollo Justice