Author Topic: Fanfiction Contest Rules! Entries welcome now! :)  (Read 16731 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Fanfiction Contest Rules! Entries welcome now! :)
« on: July 02, 2008, 03:08:28 pm »
Kumoricon 2008 Fanfiction Contest

Coordinated By: Judges: Jeni, Kate and Mandy; Fanfiction Coordinator: Sandi Farmer (Kitsunehi) and Creation Manager: Ellen Klowden

Layout for this set of Contest Rules:

General Rules
How To Submit
Award Categories
Fan Fiction Bedtime Stories
Deadlines
“See Below” Section
Other Information of Note to Entrants
General Rules

We want to be able to accept all entries, so please read and comply with all rules carefully!

Any questions about these rules please address to fanficcontest@kumoricon.org . Please put [Kumoricon 2008 Fanfic Contest Question] as a header in your title.  This will allow for quick response from the judges and coordinators.

One entry per email please, even if you are only giving the judges and coordinator links.
All entries must be previously beta read or edited before submission; too many errors will disqualify a piece.

Materials that have already won prizes from Creation Station judges for the overall fanfiction/novella or manga/webcomic contests at Kumoricon, Chibi Chibi Con, Sakura-Con, Otafest, or Anime Evolution may not be submitted for this contest.

Materials that have been beta read by any of the Fanfic Judges and/or the Contest Coordinator may not be submitted for this contest.

Kumoricon judges will be using the Fiction Rating system on Fictionratings.com. Please check the site to see where your fic falls. Anything with a rating of MA cannot be considered for the general fanfiction contest.

Attempting to pass someone else’s work off as your own is plagiarism and will not be tolerated in this contest. If you are writing or drawing in another ficcer’s universe, please cite that.

If you worked on this with another person, please cite that. If your work is a parody of another’s work, please cite that. An example of that is here: http://gwaddiction.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12273.

Please remember to cite any reference materials, as it will put you into consideration for Best Authenticity, but also remember to share the credit if you worked with another person.

Acceptable source materials include but are not limited to: Anime series, movies, or OVA; manga; doujinshi; Web comics; dating sims/visual novels/ren’ai gaming; anime-inspired video, computer, console, and table-top, board, RPG, LARP, or other games; and for the one non-anime category, anything with a fan base.

While we encourage entries of original content webcomics and original content manga, no works of original text-only fiction will be accepted for this particular contest.  Original text-only works will be permitted for in-room events such as: Fanfic Bedtime Stories, Scenes from a Hat, and Fic-Into-Art & Art-Into-Fic contests.

Fanfic works submitted do not need to be in prose; they may be poems. Songfics and filks are welcome.

Volunteers and staff are welcome to participate in any program at the Creation Station, including these contests, as long as it does not interfere with staffing or volunteering duties.

Authors may submit multiple pieces, but please limit to your best 3 pieces per genre. This limit will be enforced for the novella (12 pages typed or multiple part fics) category, to ensure time to get to everyone’s work.

Works of novel length (100+ pages) will be limited to one per author.

Fics accompanied by original illustrations, be they hand-done or computer-generated, may additionally be evaluated in the Manga category. Illustrators must also be credited.

Entries in the Manga category may be sole-person productions or team productions, but all contributors must be credited (e.g., storyboard, outlining, coloring). Art may be black and white or color, handmade or computer-generated. Format may be left to right or right to left.

Manga and webcomics which were previously entered in the overarching Kumoricon Fanfic contest may be re-entered only if they did not win when first submitted and have been substantively rewritten/redrawn since previously submitted.

Materials generated during previous other parts of Kumoricon 2007 (or other convention 2008) programming (e.g., during Scenes From a Hat or drabbles composed in the Creation Station) may be submitted. Materials read at Bedtime Stories or presented as part of Fanfic Theatre, but not previously submitted in this contest, may be submitted. Also welcome are extensions from prior On-Site Mini-Manga contests.

Any manga entries submitted during Con must be hand-delivered to the Fanfiction Coordinator within the Creation Station and must be submitted in hard copy, i.e., printed on paper, or possibly on disc.

Multimedia parody entries, if you wish, may be pre-screened by the Judges and Coordinator prior to FFBS, by arrangement, up to the beginning of Fan Fiction Bedtime Stories. We regret that we do not yet know if we will have online access at the convention.

While we do not permit original fiction for this particular contest, original fiction is welcome to be turned in at con are encouraged to be entered into our  Fic-Into-Art Contest.
No new rules will be introduced without explicit mention on the forums.

Contestants must attend the con to enter the contest or receive any prizes.

How To Submit

Submissions may be typed/printed, hand printed, or handwritten in cursive. However, they must be legible.

Include the following at the beginning of each submission:

Title of Entry:

Your full name: (your name as it will appear on your badge)
Pen name: (as you would want it printed/announced if you are a winner)
Names of anyone else collaborating on the work:
Your name on the forums (if any):
Fandom:
Genres to which you are submitting each piece (limit 3 per piece):
Any spoilers:
Rating:
Home contact info: (email and/or phone)
Age if minor (for special prize for submissions from folks 16 & under)
Is this your first contest?:
Notes:

You may submit your entries online, in person, or by snail mail.
To submit online, email to fanficcontest@kumoricon.org.
To submit in person, come to a Kumoricon General Meeting prior to deadline or submit at the Creation Station at Anime Evolution (making clear whether your submission is for AE, KC, or both). See also deadline section, above. (Email fanficcontest@kumoricon.org to make arrangements; other possibilities may emerge.)
To submit by snail mail, mail to Creation Station c/o Ellen Klowden, P.O. Box 5098, Eugene, OR 97405.

Award Categories

Best Newbie (see below)
Best Creator—Age 16 & Under
Best Drama
Best Comedy
Best Romance
Best Songfic/Filk
Best Crossover/Fusion
Best Canon
Best Fanon
Best Parody—Written
Best Parody—Multimedia (see below)
Best Novella—Humorous
Best Novella—Serious
Best Manga—Black & White, Hand-Drawn
Best Manga—Color, Hand-Drawn
Best Manga—Black & White, Computer-Generated
Best Manga—Color, Computer-Generated
Best Web-comic/Online Manga
Best Authenticity (see below)
Best Backstory (see below)
Best Presentation (see below)

Best Entry by Convention Staff

Fan Fiction Bedtime Stories

Stories may be read or cosplayed at Fanfiction Bedtime Stories and win prizes therein, as audience response selects the winners, but M-rated material may be eligible to be read at the after-hours bedtime stories and considered for an on-site contest. These are the rating rules on Fanfiction.net and are for the safety and equal participation of all contestants (not just the adults).

If you are a minor submitting a fic with an M rating, please have a signed parental permission form saying that your parent knows you’ve written this and gives you permission to submit it.

Original fiction will be welcome at Bedtime Stories.

Multimedia parody entries, if you wish, may be pre-screened by the Judges and Coordinator prior to FFBS, by arrangement, up to the beginning of Fan Fiction Bedtime Stories. We regret that we do not yet know if we will have online access at the convention.

Deadlines

Entries will be accepted from the moment these rules are posted.

Novellas and novel-length fics must be submitted by one month pre-con (July 30th).

All other forms of text-only fanfic must be submitted by August 15. This includes electronic submittals (e-mail, links, etc.), as we will no longer be taking submissions at con.

Web-comic links/online manga links must be submitted by this same deadline of August 15.

Manga created offline may be submitted through 11:59 pm Saturday, August 30, and multimedia forms of parody are to be submitted at the beginning of the Fanfiction Bedtime Stories event (see pocket guide for schedule).  Some fiction will be allowed for specific on-site contests, as mentioned in the earlier General Rules guidelines.

For this year, please do everything in your power to have your submissions in by the pre-con deadlines for the sanity of our judges. Fics are welcome after that time, but may not be eligible for entry other than when read or performed for our Fanfiction Bedtime Stories event. Exceptions can be made, but only in extraordinary circumstances, and not for novella nor for novel-length fics.

“See Below” Section

Best Newbie. For the purposes of this contest, a “newbie” is one who has not previously entered any work in any contest (online, at school, at a con, etc.). One need not be a first-time author, just a first-time competitor.

Best Authenticity will be awarded to the author and/or illustrator who uses their work to explain or show something about another culture. Culture can be anything from a subculture (such as the Shinjuku kids or American-style punk) to a completely different country (the most common here would be Japan, but in an AU you can put these characters anywhere). Authenticity is an essential tool for a writer’s believability, and seamless incorporation of all of your research is important.

“Best Backstory” will be awarded to the author and/or illustrator who takes the time to best explicate (a) what inspired the work; (b) how it relates to his/her personal life and/or what it meant to her/him to write; (c) how it relates to the canonic material; and (d) what the judge needs to know to comprehend the choices characters make, their interactions, their actions, and their universe. Links to canonic illustrations will be given brownie points, but will not suffice to constitute back-story.

Best Presentation will be awarded to an author and/or artist who takes the time to provide extras alongside her/his submission that explicate and showcase the submission in a captivating and professional light. Examples include full glossary, bibliography, etc.

“Parody—Multimedia”. Anyone who intends to work on such an ambitious project must alert the Contest Coordinator and/or Judges to it prior to the start of the con, but works of this magnitude will be accepted through the beginning of Fanfic Bedtime Stories (see Pocket Guide for Schedule). Any works submitted in this category will be viewed and appraised by the Fanfic Bedtime Stories audience.

Other Information of Note to Entrants

Make certain your sources are either put in the notes section of the header or in endnotes. If they are in endnotes, please mention such in the Notes. If there are footnotes, please put that in your Notes.

It will not matter what you use for font, type of paper, margins, spacing, etc., so long as the judges can read your work. Please remember that, just like any form of art, presentation is an important part of writing, and visual presentation can affect how a judge feels.

Original characters, alternate universes, crossovers and fusion are welcome, but particularly for crossovers, be sure to credit all canonic sources.

Works entered in this contest are welcome as pieces that may be beta-read at the Beta Station table in the Creation Station. Manga entered in this contest may likewise be enhanced via the networking and supplies at the Artists’ Den table in the Creation Station.

Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Re: Fanfiction Contest Rules! Entries welcome now! :)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 03:42:51 am »
Attempting to pass someone else’s work off as your own is plagiarism and will not be tolerated in this contest. If you are writing or drawing in another ficcer’s universe, please cite that.

I have a fic I'd like to submit where I expanded on the backstory a friend came up with for a certain character. That's not quite "another ficcer's universe", but it's part of it, so I'd imagine I'd have to cite. But how should citing be done? Just in the notes? And should I provide her email so the judge can verify that she really did give permission for me to write with her idea?

oslapedo

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 06:16:11 pm »
YAY! A fanfiction contest being stablished makes my heart so happy! So the deadlines are July 30 (Novella) and August 15 (everything else)? I should get cracking then  ;)

I have a few questions. Is the Bed Time stories contest considered a part of the rest of it?

Has a date been determined for the FF contest at the con?

And lastly, how do FF contests work? Are the stories looked upon by all, or are they read in seclusion by the judges?

Thank you  ;D

Edit: I just remembered another question  :D Do we submit our fics specifially to a category, or does a placement occur upon solicitation of our fics? Thanks again!

Edit Deux: What length should our fics be, if we're not doing novellas/novels?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 06:39:38 pm by oslapedo »

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 11:15:15 pm »
I can answer some of those.

I've won things with fics that're less than a page long. So there's really no length requirement.

Bedtime Stories is a seperate event from the fanfic contest, but it's hosted by the Creation Station still.

The stories are read by the judges. Sometimes they may ask another Creation Station voluenteer to help with something, but that's rare and when it happens it's minor (I was asked to help look over a Digimon fic at a con once since I know more about it than the judge did). But the more you include in your backstory that you submit with your fic, the less likely that is to happen.

oslapedo

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 04:39:33 pm »
Thank you very much ;D Is it possible for us to read our own fics? I rather enjoy reading aloud, but I suppose if the judge has to do it it's alright.

So would we submit the same story to the FF contest AND the Read Aloud, or do we enter in completely diferent ones?

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 01:57:43 am »
At Bedtime Stories you can get whoever to read your fics, including yourself. And you can read whatever, entered in the main contest or not.

Offline chibihentaichan

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 07:36:59 am »
YAY! A fanfiction contest being stablished makes my heart so happy! So the deadlines are July 30 (Novella) and August 15 (everything else)? I should get cracking then  ;)

I have a few questions. Is the Bed Time stories contest considered a part of the rest of it?

Has a date been determined for the FF contest at the con?

And lastly, how do FF contests work? Are the stories looked upon by all, or are they read in seclusion by the judges?

Thank you  ;D

Edit: I just remembered another question  :D Do we submit our fics specifially to a category, or does a placement occur upon solicitation of our fics? Thanks again!

Edit Deux: What length should our fics be, if we're not doing novellas/novels?

These are a lot of good questions.

I'm going to answer your procedural questions first.  The contest entries are only read by the judges but are also sent to the Fan Creation Coordinator (Rem), Our Fan Fic Coordinator (Kitsunehi), and Me (chibihentaichan) but mostly that's so we can say, "yes we got them," and have back-up copies in case the judges lose anything.  We generally don't have time to do much more than skim over them.

You do put which categories you want to submit your fic in the submission e-mail, the judges might choose to put it into another category if they think it fits better there. You don't have to do a separate e-mail for each fic though or each category that you want to enter it into, that just winds up filling the judges' e-mail accounts. 

Bedtime Stories and our other in-room contests are not considered part of this contest. They have prizes that are awarded separately (this just helps us keep things straight.)  The schedule isn't set yet, so we don't have hard and fast times for anything as of this moment.

As for length, pretty much anything smaller than the novella word count is good for the contest (although if it's within a couple hundred words we might put it in as a novella anyway.)  The best way to think about it is that people have to read these, so if you're putting several multi-part fics into the contest, than our judges might be a little overworked.   We encourage you to submit a lot, but for longer works, it's probably better to submit them sooner. That way they have more than enough time to read and enjoy the work. We're really trying a avoid what happened last year, which was several multi-part fics being turned into the contest during con. The poor judges were reading fics for two days straight.

Hope that answered your questions :)
~chibihentaichan~
The littlest pervert on the net
proving to everyone everywhere that size doesn't matter

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 01:04:24 pm »
Submitted!  I'm excited, I've never entered a fanfiction before!  I won a doujinshi contest the year before last.  That was really cool.
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

oslapedo

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 05:13:31 pm »
Thank you so much for answering all of my qestions  :) I'll try to get everything in soon, but I haven't had much time for crackin out the fics since I've been sucked in a void of "Intellectual Summer School"  :D

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 07:29:26 am »
I finally managed to have the time to put CONTENT up on the Creation Station website~! XD

Honestly its a boring site at the moment, and only the Fanfiction contest rules are up (under -> Contests, -> Fanfiction), but I'm optimistic and hope to have more up later today!

Please check it out at: www.fancreationstation.org

(And yes I know about the formating errors ~_~ but that's what I get for working on it at 4am)
Kate Fletcher
Assistant Director of Relations 2013
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline Phantom

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 01:09:29 am »
I have a question.  Are the anime categories, anime/manga only?  I'm asking because I have a Tenchi/Batman crossover story, and I'm wondering if it is okay to submit that kind of crossover?

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 11:31:47 pm »
It would be considered under the 'Crossover' catagory. If it fits into any others the other judges and I will decide what to do.

From the contest rules: Acceptable source materials include but are not limited to: Anime series, movies, or OVA; manga; doujinshi; Web comics; dating sims/visual novels/ren’ai gaming; anime-inspired video, computer, console, and table-top, board, RPG, LARP, or other games; and for the one non-anime category, anything with a fan base.

We've had Artemis Fowl fics win before, so non-anime is perfectly fine. If you can however, please include needed backstory for events/ characters so the judges have a basic idea of what happened in the version of the Batman/ Tenchi verse you're using.

-Thanks for the question!

Kate
Kate Fletcher
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 03:33:13 pm »
Judges:
Have you been receiving entries? Via the fanficcontest@kumoricon.org address?

FYI, I have not received anything in my inbox from either that address or fanfic@kumoricon.org.......

Has anyone submitted, and their entries not been received?

I checked my P. O. Box last Saturday and will again today; no entries there as of yet.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 10:22:18 pm »
I figured that Sandi was going to distribute them and was behind because of their move, but I'll send an e-mail later and ask.
Kate Fletcher
relations@kumoricon.org

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 10:56:57 pm »
I'm still trying to decide what fics to submit.

Offline Mitsukai Mizu Amaya

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 12:23:27 am »
I sent mine in yesterday, with no reply yet. I'm antsy about it because it's a novella, which are due by today, and I want to know if it's in.
KumoriCon 2012

Offline chibihentaichan

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 09:58:54 am »
I figured that Sandi was going to distribute them and was behind because of their move, but I'll send an e-mail later and ask.

As far as I know, none have been sent on to Sandi. We'll get our home computers set up tonight, and I'll make sure she looks again, but as far as I know, none have made it in yet.
~chibihentaichan~
The littlest pervert on the net
proving to everyone everywhere that size doesn't matter

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 11:30:42 pm »
For everyone that has submitted entries so far, we are working on getting them distributed to the judges. There have been some e-mail forwarding glitches, but they will be taken care of!

Thanks for submitting, we'll enjoy reading your entries!

-Kate
Kate Fletcher
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 08:40:21 am »
Sorry guys, I didn't realize the e-mails hadn't been forwarding (and I haven't checked this thread before now :-\).  I will be forwarding on the submissions that I have received in the next day or so, and making sure the address forwards are updated with Jeff.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 09:02:07 am »
Sorry guys, I didn't realize the e-mails hadn't been forwarding (and I haven't checked this thread before now :-\).  I will be forwarding on the submissions that I have received in the next day or so, and making sure the address forwards are updated with Jeff.

Perfect, thanks, Jaki!

And to everyone who has submitted:
I'm coordinating the KC '08 Creation Station, and therefore overseeing this contest, albeit not a judge thereof. As such, I promise that no one will be excluded from the contest as a result of email problems within the Kumoricon email address network! So no worries about that novella! If it we haven't received it when we get Jaki's forwards, you'll be able to resubmit it.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 03:09:51 pm »
I just realized that there's nothing about this contest on the main site. Such a thing should be remedied.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2008, 03:18:44 pm »
Just a heads up, people, the deadline is tomorrow!

oslapedo

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2008, 02:17:50 am »
Oh gosh! I've hardly gotten anything done! *runs away madly typing*

Offline Phantom

• Cabbit
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2008, 09:47:52 pm »
I emailed my story on Wednesday.  I hope it was received.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2008, 11:56:40 pm »
Finally got everything sent in, with six minutes to go!

Backstories are *hard*.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2008, 03:08:25 am »
I just realized that there's nothing about this contest on the main site. Such a thing should be remedied.
That doesn't make sense....I had a lot of discussion with Jeff from Publicity about this, including recently. There should have been a link from the Contests page, of the Summary as written by Sandi and slightly revised by me, nearly a month ago, with a reaffirmation thereof a couple weeks ago.

Re: Phantom, you will probably hear back from our judges very soon, but if you don't, PM me.

Re: Backstories: For those who don't know, Backstories--my very favorite part of reading fanfics!--can include:
(a) info from the author(s) about why they wrote/illustrated the given story, what it means to them personally, etc.;
and/or
(b) info from the author(s) about where their story would fit within the canon;
and/or
(c) info from the author(s) about whatever a brand-new reader unfamiliar with the canon would need to know to appreciate the story, comprehend the setting or characters, etc.

Hey! If our new How-To Mini-Panel idea flies this year, maybe next year you (BJ) and I (and anyone else interested-- FilkAeris would be ideal) could run a Backstory Mini-Panel!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2008, 11:50:14 am »
Hey! If our new How-To Mini-Panel idea flies this year, maybe next year you (BJ) and I (and anyone else interested-- FilkAeris would be ideal) could run a Backstory Mini-Panel!

That would be win and awesome.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2008, 01:21:57 pm »
*grins*
We could break it out at Chibi Chibi :)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2008, 02:20:36 pm »
I emailed my story on Wednesday.  I hope it was received.

Hi, Phantom. I posted to our yahoo group, and Kate, Mellownemrys, the judge taking the lead in contacting folks, states that she doesn't recognize having received anything with that name...Did you perhaps use another name when submitting the fic?

She recommends that you email it to her directly:

khummer@teleport.com

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2008, 12:06:50 am »
I just send out some more conformation e-mails, but none of them were to a 'phantom' sn/ pen name...

Go ahead and re-send it to me and I'll make sure to forward it on to the other judges.

Edit: I just found your entry (Cabbit Trouble) and sent you an e-mail about it! I'm sorry about the mix up! I passed over it for some reason. I'm sorry!

-Kate
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 01:10:02 am by mellonemrys »
Kate Fletcher
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2008, 01:20:53 pm »
Thanks for checking,
Kate!
No worries,
Phantom!

Good luck,
everyone!

I'm eager to hear snippets of all the entries, at Bedtime Stories!
....Not like that's a hint or anything!! ;D