Author Topic: Winter Formal Masquerade Ball Dress Code  (Read 14217 times)

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
Winter Formal Masquerade Ball Dress Code
« on: January 04, 2008, 10:16:20 am »
The Winter Formal Masquerade Ball is a formal occasion, and whether you decide to come as Tuxedo Mask from Sailor Moon or wear your high school prom dress, you must dress in a manner befitting the occasion.

Please note that formal attire and a mask are required for this event. Those without proper attire will be turned away at the door. Below are some helpful guidelines, but if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask us at masquerade@kumoricon.org. We are happy to advise you, so if you are unsure, just ask.

Masks

Masks must cover the area around at least one eye, and must not impair your field of vision. Masks on sticks will be allowed, but please keep in mind that you must be wearing your mask at all times in the ballroom, so please plan accordingly.

Footwear

The Winter Formal Masquerade Ball is a formal dancing event—please keep this in mind when choosing your footwear. No shoes with treads will be allowed; this includes all sneakers and most boots. Flip-flops and sandals are not appropriate, while male dress shoes, dressy flats, and heels are good choices. Shoes are required, so please choose something you will be able to dance comfortably in (geta, while appropriate formal footwear, are not recommended as they are difficult to dance in).

Formal Western Attire

For people dressing as women: Those dressing in female formal wear should wear at least semi-formal level clothing. This includes prom dresses, evening gowns, cocktail dresses, and dressy separates. Non-formal fabrics such as flannel, denim, vinyl and mylar shall not be allowed. Skirts should be knee-length and in general at least half of your body must be covered in fabric—bare midriffs are not allowed.

For people dressing as men: Suits and tuxedos are highly encouraged, but not required. A minimum of a button down shirt, slacks, and a tie are required—bare chests are not allowed.

Formal Asian Attire

Those wearing formal attire from Japan or other Asian countries should be clothed neatly and in full attire—for example, a kimono jacket over jeans will not be considered formal.

Formal Cosplay Attire

Cosplay outfits should resemble formal wear of the non-costume variety. Formal military dress, Lolita outfits, shrine priests and priestesses, and other elegant outfits are allowed. Or, be creative and add a formal flare to your favorite character; perhaps a long, formal version of Sakura Haruno’s iconic red dress? Or Faye Valentine in a cocktail dress? For a very good formal cosplay reference, please go here.

Large props, wings, and weapons will not be allowed as they will be an impediment on the dance floor and may be broken or harm others. You will be asked to remove anything that impairs your vision or range of motion.

Still unsure of who to cosplay for this event? Here is a list of characters to help you figure out the best idea for you:

Costumes that already include a mask:

• Crimson Wind from Romeo X Juliet
  • Tuxedo Mask from Sailor Moon
  • Zero from Code Geass
  • Larva from Vampire Princess Miyu

Costumes that are formal, but would need to have a mask added:

• Wolfram from Kyou Kara Maoh, or other formal military outfit
  • D from Petshop of Horrors
  • Alita from Murder Princess
  • Sai from Hikaru no Go
  • Hell Girl

Whatever you decide to wear, please make sure it is appropriate to wear in public—if you wouldn’t wear it in front of your mother, you can’t wear it here. If you are unsure about your attire, please e-mail us at masquerade@kumoricon.org and we will do our best to advise you. We will be sad to turn you away at the door, but we reserve the right to deny entry to anyone wearing inappropriate attire.

For an image gallery of suggested cosplays, please go here.

2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
Re: Winter Formal Masquerade Ball Dress Code
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 08:34:30 pm »
So I have a mask already it is a hood and covers the whole face but gives somewhat of tunnel vision, however, if I'm in the market for a new mask what is the trade off between eyes covered and field of vision not impaired?
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 09:06:20 am »
If you are running into walls and people because you can't see them, you need a new mask ;D

Basically, you need to make sure you still have peripheral vision... you will be dancing, and you need to see the people around you, so as not to run into them (this isn't a mosh pit, and we don't want people to hurt themselves or others.)  You're eyes don't have to be completely hidden - consider wider holes that allow you to see.

Full fask masks will be fine, provided they are part of you characters normal attire (we don't want Halloween-type masks).

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 09:49:07 pm »
Ok, I ordered a little cat mask thingy, I tried to get this nice leather mardi gras mask but got sniped :(
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 09:50:45 pm by melchizedek »

Offline Nanao_chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 11:33:41 pm »
Take a look around Party City if you can. I'm working on customizing some cool masks. I'll be making a few more like the picture I posted if anyone is interested in buying one. They are the small ones that cover just the eyes and a little of the nose but the sides are pointed out. Dunno what that's called, but yeah. Party City has some awesome ones since they are stocking for Mardi Gras. Check em out!

The picture is the mask I just finished, It's themed in the colors of my dress. PM me if you want one. ^.~
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 07:39:00 pm by Nanao_chan »
-----------------------------
The Random Panel of Doom: More adults than you can shake some pocky at.
(RPoD Panelist 2008-2014)

Offline Ed_Elric

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 11:09:23 pm »
just wondering if anyone knows a place in portland that carries masks I am up at psu car less now so I am running out of options, and if no, are homemade masks acceptable?

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 09:18:55 am »
You can get masks at both Michael's and Joann's craft stores, and some of the party stores are carrying them because of Mardi Gras.  Another place to look is Hollywood Costumers (635 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland) if you can get to it, I think it's only open until 5 or so during the week.

Otherwise, as long as they comply with the dress code, homemade masks are acceptable :)

Offline Pezzer

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 09:39:38 am »
Art Media on 9th and Yamhill. else try Finnegans toys, the small one right by the Library, they might... might have something.
if you are reading this i have broken free

Offline Ed_Elric

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 02:29:38 pm »
kk thanks for the tips ^_^ both me and my accompanyment need the mask so yeah the help is well appreciated

Offline Ketsuban

• Oni
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 02:42:25 pm »
Dollar Tree has them too. That's where I got mine.

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 06:19:17 pm »
I got mine at Party City

Offline Ed_Elric

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 10:04:36 pm »
went to little finnigin's here in portland for 75 cents Debit of course lol

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 05:14:47 pm »
I don't have any shoes with no treads but got some that are very worn down :)