Author Topic: I need to watch more ANIME!!!  (Read 4673 times)

Offline Killer_Tofu

• Sailor Scout
I need to watch more ANIME!!!
« on: April 27, 2007, 04:45:15 pm »
Ok, so for years I've been more of a gamer and manga otaku than an anime otaku, so I've desided that I owe it to myself and to the world to watch more anime ^-^

thusly I've started this thread for the bigger anime otakus to tell me (and other baby otakus) what anime to try out next

example:

"you absolutely have to watch {fill in the blank} beacause it's {fill in the blank}"
and post a link if you have one

fun right ^-^
Have YOU heard the good news of Jenova?

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 04:58:20 pm »
you need to watch •ouran high school host club• because it's •ABSOLUTELY AMAZING•. ♥

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 05:00:38 pm »
You absolutely have the watch Higurashi no Naku Koro ni because it's very psychological and addictive and it has killer loli girls :D
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 05:00:43 pm »
Ranma 1/2 teaches you everything you need to know about romance and martial arts in anime.

Gundam Wing is a good show for a variety of angsty bishis and cool giant robot battles and a good story in the background.

Cowboy Bebop will give you a sci-fi show that isn't filled with robots.

Gunsmith Cats and Bean Bandit for good shoot 'em up present day action.

Slayers will give you a look at fantasy comedy while Record of the Lodoss War will give you High Fantasy.

Tenchi Muyo, Tenchi Universe, and the two movies to show the classic harem comedy and the way "continuity" is flexible between series (depending on taste you can carry that conversation over to the Macross movies as well).

Neon Genesis Evangelion is a more thoughtful robot anime with some interesting philosophy and metaphysical ideas as well, the movies are part of the whole thing. It also gets you prepared for "messed up" anime.

Azumanga Daioh for school humor.

Excel Saga and Ouran High School Host Club are two very different comedies that also give a sort of look back at anime cliches.

Finally some movies, Akira and Ghost in the Shell for distopian futures, Princess Mononoke for fantasy drama, Grave of the Fireflies for sad historical fiction, Vampire Hunter D and the sequel "Bloodlust" for old and new action horror, Perfect Blue for an adult psychological thriller,  and Macross Plus for eye candy and blockbuster action.

Finally, Memories. 3 movies that show you about 5 different faces of anime. All three are great short films in their own right. I guess maybe I should've put memories at the top.... *shrug* I'd definitely suggest it to everyone, no matter what genre they're fans of.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 05:06:21 pm »
I think Tom pretty much gave it all to ya, but here's one for ya that I recommend.

Blue Seed is a good series for digging into Japan's Shinto religion, at least the myths within it.  Plus, it has humor, romance, interesting twists, panty jokes that are witty, and monsters.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Lit_of_Fey

• Chibi
    • http://yuri-lawliet.deviantart.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 06:25:45 pm »
Eureka seveN because it is hands down THE BEST anime I've seen yet. It has a love story, and it's sweet, but in unconventional ways that don't make you go "eww...how boring" it's just so fascinating, you should definitely watch it or I will hunt you down and stab you will sharpened pocky O_O!!! *threatens menacingly*
Someday...I'll get around to you.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 12:29:11 am »
"Requiem from the Darkness" because it is undeniably the darkest and most visually intriguing anime I've ever seen. Japanese mythology and ghost stories woven in with intense anime. Sweet!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 09:54:47 am »
There's too many animes I simply love..so I suppose I'll just list a handful of my favorites...

Mahoromatic: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=428

Last Exile: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=2294

Noir: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=407

I'd say those are probably my top 3, with One Piece, Love Hina, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Fullmetal Panic! up there as well.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 11:43:22 am »
Ack! I can't believe I forgot One Piece! It's the only Pirate Anime not in space! It also helps with the popular treasure hunter genre.

One thing about One Piece, I always kept wondering when the smokers of the "Dez" from Waterworld were going to show up.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 11:59:07 am »
You have to watch Naruto because it has a great message of continuing to try your hardest in the face of adversity of all kinds, and there are so many different characters you're sure to find someone you like! (P.S. The first few episodes seem pretty elementary but the story gets moving soon afterwards. Also, I recommend the subs as opposed to dubs.)

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline BoredHorror

• Chibi
    • http://www.boredhorror.deviantart.com
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 02:17:01 pm »
I heard good stuff about the death note anime but I've only read the manga.

watch samurai champloo! because I don't know, It's amazing
-Mikae

Offline totemo_oishii

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 03:13:33 pm »
Oh! A few others to add:

• Cromartie High School. It's random and episodes are about 10 minutes long ... I love it.
• Final Fantasy: Unlimited. I'm not even much of an FF fan, but the anime is really different, and the character art is really cute.

Offline pieisexactlythree

• Catgirl
    • Flickr
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 03:56:08 pm »
Quote from: "EveofAbyss"
"Requiem from the Darkness" because it is undeniably the darkest and most visually intriguing anime I've ever seen. Japanese mythology and ghost stories woven in with intense anime. Sweet!

Requiem's a bit of an oddball anime, stylistically.  Of all the shows I've seen, it comes the closest to replicating the look and feel of a lot of western graphic novels.  Think Neil Gaiman's Sandman.

Also, nothing is darker than Texhnolyze.

Offline Kahlan4

• Catgirl
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 09:03:40 am »
i've got a list!!

outlaw star- great show, awesome animation, really good balance of funny and serious

fullmetal alchemist- i'm sure you know about that one, it's big, and rightly so because it's amazing

witch hunter robin- dark and filled with magic and plot twists, animation is super

serial experiments lain- great animation, good story as well, nice and different

gundam wing- most amazing anime from the mid 90's, it makes mecha cool

azumanga daioh- cute, hilarious, and just plain awesome, a must see

blue submarine number 6- a great mix of cg and animation, and the music is jazz-like, something really different than most animes. the story is great, as is the animation and everything else

wolf's rain- ok this one you really have to see, it's soooo amazing, the animation is great and the story will keep you guessing

sailor moon- you have to have seen it, but i'll put it up for good measure

and i could go on, but i think that's probably enough o.O

let's all meet at icicle inn!

Offline BoredHorror

• Chibi
    • http://www.boredhorror.deviantart.com
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 09:12:37 pm »
^oh yeah. wolf's rain. (the ending is really sad though...I cried...a lot.. lol)

Ouran high school host club is a must watch
-Mikae

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2007, 10:01:45 pm »
I need to watch more Wolf's Rain. I've been watching it with Kahlan, but still only seen the first 7 episodes or so. I love it, though. Deep, intense, and intriguing show.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2007, 10:18:20 pm »
Urasei Yatsura, all 50 discs. Will show you more about life than about any anime I have seen to date. There is a little bit of everything in it of the Japanese culture. And there is evidence of the creators knowing a lot more about the world, many subtle references to western literature, and some not so subtle references.

I think I know more of the nursery rhyme of Cock Robin from watching this anime, than I ever learned in kinderegarten.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=90
Have Fun

Jay

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2007, 10:58:50 pm »
haha, yay Urusei Yatsura. I love the movies, but I have yet to see the show. Another thing I need to work my way through.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2007, 11:44:37 pm »
if i could show pile o anime me and kendo boufriend have to watch its just sad since we keep getting more, including 1st seson of ranma 1/2
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids