Author Topic: Cosplay Chess 2011: What Went Wrong and How to Improve  (Read 49497 times)

Offline Blizzara Dragon

• Chibi
Cosplay Chess 2011: What Went Wrong and How to Improve
« on: September 07, 2011, 12:07:28 pm »
Alright, as you probably all know Cosplay Chess is a fun event that happens on Day 3 consisting of a giant chess game with cosplayers as pieces. Pieces move, battles and hilarity ensue until one team is victorious (or inevitably a stalemate). However, it seems that this year was beyond chaotic and both players and audience members started lacking respect for one another. I have a few things that we could really work on to make Cosplay Chess not only run a lot smoother, but also make it more fun for everyone without it becoming chaos and noise.

First off: If you are not a piece on the board, then STAY OFF THE BOARD UNLESS SUMMONED. There were tons of people who thought it'd be just awesome to jump into fights without being summoned, making some of the fights more chaos than they needed to be. It was fine towards the beginning, but as we got closer and closer to the end it became more and more insane. If this continues it could even lead to damage to people and/or property, with things becoming too hectic or audience members/alternates being not quite clear on the rules.

Secondly: If you are an audience member, please don't interrupt the action by being disrespectful or trying to join in. For example: all the people who gave weapons to the White Mokona. Yes it is both creepy and adorable to see a Mokona wielding a machine gun or a katana, but if it means interrupting the game then it shouldn't happen. This can also become a safety hazard, such as when Inuyasha gave away his sword. There are exceptions to this, such as if a team member wants to help out their fellow piece, but even this shouldn't happen in the middle of the board. It should happen during the start of a battle, and even then it should be talked about first. Also in this subject is heckling and jokes. Some are fine, but it should be kept within reason and not detract from the action at hand. Responding to a witty remark made by a chess master is fine, constantly interrupting with them is not.

Thirdly: PLEASE be respectful of your surroundings. Every year there is at least a story or two of how someone's costume got stepped on and dragged down, almost ripped, someone actually got hit during a chess game(happened to me 2 years ago, got a knee to the stomach and a smack to the face), etc. It is always said at the beginning of the meeting before the game, but it always inevitably happens. I know accidents happen, but at the same time a lot of accidents can be avoided simply by increasing your awareness of your surroundings.

Lastly: This isn't necessarily something we do wrong but something that we can add to increase enjoyment for everyone. When you go to a fight, try to increase the length through meaningful ways. This is especially true if the person you're fighting hasn't fought yet, because this may well be their only chance on the stage for the entire event. Make a battle out of it, let people use special attacks, etc. Another thing we can do is A) not have a run fest into the corner, and B) take more than one hit before you fall. Obviously if it goes with your character to do one of those two, then by all means do it. For the rest of us though, it seems like this becomes the norm while the exciting battles become the exception rather than the rule. The chess board is a stage, and the pieces are the actors. When your big scene comes up, make it just that: big and exciting.

Sorry for the long rant, but these are things that seem to be getting worse with each year. If you have anything else to add please do, or if you think I was going too far with some of these please let me know that as well. Cosplay Chess is my favorite event out of everything we have at Kumoricon, and I really want to see it continue to be amazing with each and every year. So please contribute to this discussion, and if you were someone who did one of the above or know of someone who did one of the above, please read through this or share this and hopefully we can improve and make Cosplay Chess fun for every participant of the convention.

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
Re: Cosplay Chess 2011: What Went Wrong and How to Improve
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 12:42:14 pm »
you made an excellent point about the length of the battles. i tried making the battles longer with those whom i had to defeat. but it seemed like they didn't get my "signals" lol i usually try to antagonize them but i don't think that went over well. for our friend Gaara, i tried telling her to use her Sand attacks, but it's really hard to communicate. so i think telling people to not just do a few moves and then kill the opponent during the battle, would be great. cuz it is their last turn, and sometimes it is their ONLY turn! we all want to have some action fun so let them have their fun.

i think you guys should see some of the battles of Sakuracon's chess game, cuz that would be a good example! even though it's scripted, just see how long the battles can go per person!

and you make good points in everything Blizzara :) so dont' worry! speak out your mind, cuz if you don't the game director won't know what to improve or take out for next time!

Offline april_22

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 12:52:28 pm »
It should be scripted and there should be some 'invisibles' that manage the pieces when they are sitting off the board for the fights.

There should also be a time keeper that signals the pieces in battle that they are getting close to the allotted time.

Part of me knew this was going to be a gong show this year, which is why I didn't sign up and didn't go.

The year before had been boring.  If it was scripted it would take a lot of pressure and 'guessing' out of the equation for pieces, allowing them to plan battles and 'smack talk' beforehand.
http://moongazer22.deviantart.com
|| Kumoricon '11 - Fai Flowright || Kumoricon '12 - Unknown ||

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 12:58:38 pm »
I tried this one year, I think last, to make a thread for people to talk about their characters. Personality, strengths, weaknesses, attacks, etc...Because I know a lot of times people just don't know what to do during a battle when they don't really know the other characters.

And just a note, Doe, I did what I thought would make sense. I didn't have anything that would signify that I was using sand...So I fought for a while, and when I got too tired to do much more, I died......Just saying...

There are a lot of things that need to be said during the premeet. Sadly, as you noticed, a lot of the pieces were late, so they missed some of the things said.

And I personally think there are just some characters that shouldn't be in Chess...I'm sorry, but Vocaloids aren't always the best b/c they might not have "real" attacks. Singing people to death can be funny, but can get old if they do it many times.
I think there are a couple things that need to be added to the form: another section that says 'other' for those who aren't from anime/manga/videogames. And a section somewhere to give examples of the characters attacks that they can do during a battle.
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 04:23:49 pm »
^i agree. vocaloids if they can come up with clever attacks based on their characters that could be awesome, but most vocaloid "fans" don't know anything about their characters! same thing with other cosplayers! read up on your people!

and sorry kristi, i kinda thought you were going to do more, but i guess i saw that you didn't so obviously i killed you. but oh well. at the least we could communicate somewhat lol

we should definitely aim to make this more scripted cuz it makes it so much easier, and a lot less chaotic, and less boring. i was feeling very nervous about my battles, cuz i didn't even know when those stampedes of people would come running up!

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 05:23:55 pm »
I personally think that if you're going to be late, you can't participate. If there is something you need to do instead, then it must be more important.

I really like the idea of the attacks. They should change the "special attack" part to "ideas for attacks" as well as defeat ideas. Some people don't know how to actually die. This way, we don't have to ask about attacks. If people need help, they can come to the forums and ask around. I think the scripted thing could work, but maybe after they reform what they have it can stay unscripted for one year. If that doesn't work, scripted could. I just think it's fun, as an audience member, to realize that these battles weren't planned, so even the pieces don't know what's going on. It's kind of like a video game in that respect.
Kumoricon 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts 3, end game outfit)
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)
Keyleth (Critical Role, opening look)

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 05:37:28 pm »
yes. but the unscripted can get confusing, and sometimes there are times where it's just really really quite, and the battles either drag on, or are cut super short and it's not really fair for anyone. i just think we should have two meetings before the actual game. one maybe on day 1 and another on day 3 when it happens. that way we have time to meet up with people, and we could practice some things and such.

and personally, scripted goes a lot better.

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 05:47:55 pm »
i think there should be a scripted game and a totaly improv one >.>
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 05:48:14 pm »
I think that it could go a lot smoother but I don't like the idea of scripting the whole thing out before hand. It would seem to mechanical from the audience's perspective. Also, meeting at the convention itself is rough on participants. I've tried to manage plenty of at-con meetings for cosplay and Pocky Club and it's a major pain.

As for people going up on the board, a quick announcement before the event starts would keep most attendees away. Some weaboos just didn't understand that some characters were being summoned by the active piece. Maybe we could just put up a "velvet rope" of some sort between the pieces and the rest of the room. Then you'd only have to worry about your fellow pieces jumping in (I know that happened a lot too but you can't fix everyone).

With the music, there were some songs that matched the costumes of the pieces, but not who was fighting at the time. Maybe the sound board can have a playlist full of music for each character. That way they just double click the song of the attacker or defender. Sure we'll hear a couple tunes multiple times but they would match at least. IMO appropriate music trumps repetition. Music is one thing that'd be fixed completely by scripting but I still don't think it's worth it.

I think the best solution is in the selection of participants. Some people get it and some people don't. I think that the more cosplayers we have on the board that have done it before, the better the show will be. Experience will let you know how to give a good show and when a battle is going on too long.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Raveen92

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 05:50:55 pm »
I agree with scripted to a degree, if it gets too scripted I think it'll lose the fun aspect, but prepared, and preplanned about general idea of attacks sounds fantastic.
Kumoricon 2016 Hopes
Human Creeper (Minecraft)- 100% Casual
Phi (Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward)- 95%
Musa (Winx Club: Season 1 Fairy) - 0%
Amy Wong (Futurama) - 0%
???

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 06:08:31 pm »
I like the idea of two games, but I think it'd be impossible. I'm not an opinion to listen to for it, though. I've never seen a scripted battle >.> I've seen Kumoricon three times and that's all.
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline Raveen92

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 06:09:44 pm »
^Lol the same

for a scripted battle, look up Anime Boston
Kumoricon 2016 Hopes
Amy Wong (Futurama) - 0%
???

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 06:21:44 pm »
i mean i participated in this year's sakuracon's cosplay chess, and it was A LOT more fun to me, than it was kumoricon's. scripted to me, seems less robotic, because i know what i'm doing, so that way i can look a little more natural in doing certain things. i guess people have their own opinions about scripted and improve. i mean i think it's fun when i know what i'm doing, rather than not knowing what the heck is going on! the audience doesn't know what's going on, but we do and we are the ones on the stage, not them! and i don't want to be wondering what will happen, cuz i really don't want things to go out of hand. i guess i like reassurance.

music got really annoying cuz it just wasn't setting the stage right for the battle. but other than that, it seemed okay.

also unscripted games, when it comes to moves, and finishing up the game, like this game, it can drag on! and that just gets really boring! the ending fight scene should have been the king verses the king just in case there was a withdrawal. which it was, and it really started to bore me, and i'm a piece!

i already had pre-planned moves with my partner, terra, and i did ask an audience member for one of their props before hand. stand-ins and extras, just need to learn to not get on the board, and things should be good. (and now i am out cuz talking about this is giving me a headache x.x)

and for those of you who want to look at scripted here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnG1AKTwhps
and here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgTJBJqP0dM
(sadly the mics weren't that audible for the audience. that's one thing they need to work on)

Offline Blizzara Dragon

• Chibi
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 06:24:09 pm »
Thank you for all of the input guys, I really appreciate it. Hopefully all of these concerns will reach the higher ups and items can be improved.

With regards to scripted vs unscripted, I think we should keep unscripted with regards to what pieces will move where and fight who, but script out what attacks you are going to do and how you are going to die. Obviously some deviation will be required since you don't know who you'll be fighting, but at the same time going in without any idea of what you're going to do is a worse idea. Like some of you have said, part of the fun is that you don't know what is going to happen. I'm afraid if things get too scripted it will lose some of the fun. For example, while the scripted battles at Sakuracon did flow smoother they also seemed a bit more...empty. The energy just wasn't the same as those at Kumoricon. I do like Chelsea's idea though: one scripted and one improv, just like what Sakuracon does. The only problem would be scheduling and time.

Also with the music, Tom you have the right idea. Personally I think that it should match whoever would be the victor of the fight, but that's just me.

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 06:27:31 pm »
yeah, the music of the attacker would be an awesome idea! although i feel kinda sad for those who don't get to do anything, and die on their first turn.

and i kinda do like unscripted, but when your opponent doesn't have a move or anything it makes it really hard to do anything. so scripted attacks would be a plus for the unscripted games! and i was thinking about the two separate games, but yeah, time is a problem. and it's true, the energy isn't the same. but in some of the battles, MAN were they just amazing! 

Offline Raveen92

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 06:34:56 pm »
From what I've heard of scripted games, they are planned weeks to months in advance, and not everyone can do crazy stunts, I am very sensitive about my neck and have a huge fear of tumbling, I'll roll on my back, but some of that stuff.

I like unscripted, and I think on Day one or Day two, in a smaller room, we could have a "Cosplay Chess Pre-game/meet 1" mini panel, and then the second mini panel/meet before the game. Then during that time, we can get to know each other and discuss how people could attack or plan attack against each other. And all that other stuff, and have enough room to practice if people want. Then it'll be scripted attacks put unscripted game, so it'll be exciting. I know in that time we can't figure out every single scenerio, but to get a general idea so a fight doesn't end too quickly, or drag out like an Inuyasha Story Arc (No offense)
Kumoricon 2016 Hopes
Amy Wong (Futurama) - 0%
???

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 06:50:22 pm »
^lawl i love that inuyasha joke there XD

i agree completely there! i do like some mystery, which is what i kind of liked in this game, since i'm kind of new to the unscripted idea here. but having two meetings (maybe like 15-30minute meetings on one day) to get to know what we will be doing, and get to know each other, and our characters, it could definitely help us all!

also you don't have to do crazy stunts in scripted games! i couldn't do a lot of jumping, but i did do a few moves as Sakura (SF) and I still did an okay job! same with Aqua this year, i know i can't do much running cuz of my socks, and well i don't like moving around too much in general, but i still was able to fight! you just gotta have some already set moves just in case!

Offline Taikei

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 07:02:35 pm »
Personally, as one of the chess masters...there were a few things that made it harder to play. One would be the lack of actual pieces and then finding out that I had to use post-it notes. Wheatley was alright with them because he did it last year, but It made it really difficult for me to see what pieces were what.

Unfortunately that was where the blunder of losing my Queen, Ciel was. I couldn't keep track of the pieces. so maybe have pre-made notes or something with the picture of the piece on the note? It would be so much easier than having the name of the piece written down. It's like playing Asteroids, but instead of your player you have the word "You" and all the asteroids you have to shoot are instead the word "Rock". It becomes that much more difficult

Maybe the Pre-meeting shouldn't be so hectic, and the pieces should be a little quieter. It was really hard to hear anything Ally said, and it was even difficult to do the mic testing and the board set up with everyone moving around and shouting. I am pretty sure that we could have addressed questions and concerns much better if everyone was paying attention.

As a Chessmaster, scripted games would be okay, but it would definitely take the spontaneity out of things..especially for the chess masters at which point are not really necessary. I mean Wheatley and I were up there consorting with each other while the fights were going on and while S&W were doing their jokes. It was pretty great, and it may be better for the pieces if everything was scripted...but it wouldn't be so much fun for the Chess Masters anymore.

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 07:13:12 pm »
well obviously cuz you guys would know everything rather than actually "playing" but the whole point of the game is to use everyone and to "have fun" and of course entertain. so not sure. i guess everyone has different opinions about all the games.

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 07:54:22 pm »
Personally, as one of the chess masters...there were a few things that made it harder to play. One would be the lack of actual pieces and then finding out that I had to use post-it notes. Wheatley was alright with them because he did it last year, but It made it really difficult for me to see what pieces were what.

Unfortunately that was where the blunder of losing my Queen, Ciel was. I couldn't keep track of the pieces. so maybe have pre-made notes or something with the picture of the piece on the note? It would be so much easier than having the name of the piece written down. It's like playing Asteroids, but instead of your player you have the word "You" and all the asteroids you have to shoot are instead the word "Rock". It becomes that much more difficult

I understand this issue from being a chessmaster myself, and I've been working on an chess set that you could put both pictures as well as having the piece shape on them. Unfortunately I haven't had the finances to make a prototype of it yet. Here's hoping I can get it done for SakuraCon's improv game.

Offline Blizzara Dragon

• Chibi
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 08:58:50 pm »
That is another point in the improv vs scripted debate: with scripted games there are no chess masters. Instead, the Kings on each side take over that role, at least from all the scripted games I've seen. Another thing is the team spirit that comes from each side: it is genuine from both sides since both hope that they will win, while with scripted games one side will have to fake it if we want to keep the smack talk going.

You are right Taikei, they also need to improve the chess set for the chess masters. What I think would be cool would be get an actual chess set, then tape a picture of the face of whatever character is representing that piece on stage to the actual piece on your board. This would get rid of some of the confusion as well as adding a nice bit of charm to the board the chess masters use. Alternatively if we are somehow able to get spendy we could get a figure of each character or something and put a post-it saying what piece they are, but the first idea would be the much more reasonable one.

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 09:42:38 pm »
Simple solution for that... they should get a board and use post it notes on the pieces. I think they did that two years ago?
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline Blizzara Dragon

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 09:45:22 pm »
Simple solution for that... they should get a board and use post it notes on the pieces. I think they did that two years ago?

I think so, but also if I recall correctly that set either got lost or destroyed somehow. Also from what I recall it has just been haphazard with remembering to bring a full chess set, since it isn't exactly the first thing anyone thinks of when packing for an anime convention. A way around it would be if people who are participating and have a chess set of their own that they'd be willing to let people use could bring it with, so in case it does happen to be forgotten by the staff involved we have back-ups.

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 09:46:37 pm »
i have about 3 chess sets id be more then happy to provide next year
kumoicon 2013:

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 09:47:15 pm »
Thanks guys for all your suggestions, and feel free to keep it up.  It helps with planning for future games.

Scripted vs unscripted - personally, I am not a fan of scripted games.... it takes the spontaneity of the event away for me.  Plus, there are always no-shows to the game which can cause a problem.  As long as I am running the game, it will not be scripted, sorry.

Chess board for chess masters - this has been an issue every year, trying to come up with something they can use (that is one of the reasons for the armbands, to distinguish the pieces).  The post-it notes were a great idea, but I will try to work on a better solution.

I think so, but also if I recall correctly that set either got lost or destroyed somehow. Also from what I recall it has just been haphazard with remembering to bring a full chess set, since it isn't exactly the first thing anyone thinks of when packing for an anime convention. A way around it would be if people who are participating and have a chess set of their own that they'd be willing to let people use could bring it with, so in case it does happen to be forgotten by the staff involved we have back-ups.

The (dollar store) chess set was there, I just left it in the Programming Office as I was running late for the pre-meet... sorry about that.

Music - the music was surprise, even to me :)  My sound guy randomly did it, and it was kinda cool, but even he said he needed more music.  We will brainstorm over the next year and see about coming up with more appropriate music choices.

Characters - yes, some characters are more suited to battle than others, but it shouldn't preclude someone from participating because their character doesn't actually fight.

The pre-meet was more chaotic than usual >:(  This is supposed to be a fun event for people, and I shouldn't have to be nagging at people to pay attention.  If I have to make more rules for people (running onto the mat during the game, yelling at the pieces/chess masters during the game) I will... but I would prefer if people were considerate of their fellow attendees/cosplayers.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 09:49:48 pm »
^ i agree but it did seem a BIT better then last years premeet how EVERY one was yelling just about. it also went alot quicker
kumoicon 2013:

Offline Taikei

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 09:50:54 pm »

I thought about that, but it would be incredibly hard to move both post it notes and pieces without knocking things over. Just Wheatley's sleeves kept swishing around the regular post-it notes. XD (wheatley was smart and only used the sticky pieces)

But yes, definitely during the pre-meeting, everyone needs to sit down on their spot and LISTEN. I was honestly getting frustrated with everything because I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. We all need to be a little more behaved next time. Lol.

As for chess sets..i have a larger set on a glass board, it's Vampires vs Werewolves and looks really neat. the pieces are large enough to tape things too or stick notes onto. I could bring it next year, but the chess masters (whether it is me or not) would have to be careful with it, as it was a birthday present, but at least the board would be somewhat larger than the one this year.

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 09:52:58 pm »
I would so be willing to bring my chess set. It's all wooden and pretty and I would trust two people (especially if I know them) using it!

Another thing to help with the "scripted" part. It might help to have the deadline earlier in the month so the pieces can be announced sooner before con, and that way the pieces can talk on the forums and possibly make meet ups to practice and talk about ideas and attacks/deaths.
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline Raveen92

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 09:53:21 pm »
Some one could buy a Stratego game an take all the pieces and tape the characters with their positions (King, Pawn, etc)  on them and use those? Just an Idea. . . :/
Kumoricon 2016 Hopes
Amy Wong (Futurama) - 0%
???

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 09:53:50 pm »
IDEA! anyone have a label maker to stick to the top or the side of a wooded/normal chess set? it would fix a bit of the problem
kumoicon 2013:

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 09:55:29 pm »
On the thing about the chess board. Why not bag the pieces and then put them with the arm bands? Then they won't get forgotten :) Oh, and yes, label maker. Or, maybe buy a new set every year from the dollar tree that can be written on?

How about how people suggest music for their characters? That way staffers have less to think about and the pieces get to be creative. They can start threads about it, too.
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 09:55:58 pm »
Or even making placemates and sticking them to the bottom of the pieces with the names of characters.
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline Taikei

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2011, 09:57:12 pm »
OH, HUUUUGE THING HERE: Next year, please set up the board correctly...

When placing the board for where your pieces are going to be, the rook/castle on the right side should always be on a white square../always/.

I didn't like the attendee that came up to me and pointed that out kind of rudely... :c and he only said it to me...not a staff member or anything.

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2011, 10:00:00 pm »
^ ......dont people get that it doesnt matter THAT much.... true it would be nice but not EVERYONE is a chess wizard....

maybe that person should sign up next time or just let it go

EDIT: dont get me wrong im huge into chess too. i just ment for COSPLAY chess
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:01:26 pm by chelseahavoc »
kumoicon 2013:

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2011, 10:01:19 pm »

When placing the board for where your pieces are going to be, the rook/castle on the right side should always be on a white square../always/.

I didn't like the attendee that came up to me and pointed that out kind of rudely... :c and he only said it to me...not a staff member or anything.

I'm sorry that happened, I only caught the end of that :(  That was not your fault, that was mine.

Offline Raveen92

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2011, 10:02:12 pm »
The Point is to have fun, you don't have to be good. I loved Roy as a Chess Master in 2009, even though she had little I dea what she was doing. I'm going to sign up for next year as one, it's just for fun and entertainment.

You shouldn't let the small things weigh you down, and the attendees should not have been rude. It was uncalled for.
Kumoricon 2016 Hopes
Amy Wong (Futurama) - 0%
???

Offline Taikei

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2011, 10:04:52 pm »

I'm sorry that happened, I only caught the end of that :(  That was not your fault, that was mine.

Yeah he was rather offensive..and I got kind of upset about it. :/ That guy was kind of a jerk, so I vacated the area and felt a bit better. I still think of it as a great time and hope that next year, I am not so nervous.

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2011, 10:09:53 pm »
Oh! And everyone talking about signing up next year: BE AN EVIL CHARACTER!!!!!!!!!!
That will make the game 100% better if we finally get Good vs. Evil!!!!!!!
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2011, 10:12:47 pm »

I'm sorry that happened, I only caught the end of that :(  That was not your fault, that was mine.

Yeah he was rather offensive..and I got kind of upset about it. :/ That guy was kind of a jerk, so I vacated the area and felt a bit better. I still think of it as a great time and hope that next year, I am not so nervous.

For things like that (complaints, or anything that makes you uncomfortable) direct them to the person running it, or to the Director (which would be me in both cases :D)  It's my job to handle stuff like that, and I am sorry that I didn't get there sooner.

You did a great job.... and if you and Wheatley enter again next year, it would be a pleasure to have you (and I promise to try and get the board right ;)

Offline Raveen92

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2011, 10:14:04 pm »
Curious, what Would Inspector Zenigata be listed as?. . .he's sorta a Villian Protagonist Hero Antagonist
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:15:17 pm by Raveen92 »
Kumoricon 2016 Hopes
Amy Wong (Futurama) - 0%
???

Offline Blizzara Dragon

• Chibi
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2011, 10:21:53 pm »
Oh! And everyone talking about signing up next year: BE AN EVIL CHARACTER!!!!!!!!!!
That will make the game 100% better if we finally get Good vs. Evil!!!!!!!

Well we can't ALL be evil characters, otherwise we'd have no good guys to beat the ever loving crap out of have an epic stand-off with.

Also with regards to the board and the pieces, if putting sticky notes on pieces is too much of a hassle/becomes a problem we could always just use regular pieces and have a chart for the chess masters so they know what pieces are what character. We can even give the chess masters a pen or pencil to check off which characters they've made sure to fight with and cross out any piece that has been taken out.

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2011, 10:28:01 pm »
I was meaning for everyone to put in an evil character, and they can do a good character too. And then the head decides.
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline Raveen92

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2011, 10:29:50 pm »
I was thinking we could also do Past vs Present, or Magic vs Science. . .just Idea, but it isn't my call to say. just ideas.

I'm just wondering if Zenigata is considers Good or Evil? Oh well I'll submit Lust for next year
Kumoricon 2016 Hopes
Amy Wong (Futurama) - 0%
???

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2011, 10:56:52 pm »
My friend said Magic Users vs. Melee attackers. That have some fun battles
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2011, 11:27:50 pm »
OK, so just for the record. When I say I'd rather watch an unscripted match, I mean the chess match itself.

I am definitely in favor of the pieces working out fights and manuevers before hand. I kind of thought that is what had been going on in the forums all these months.  ::)
The pieces should take some time during the pre-meet to speak to their opponents and teammates and work out a sort of "OK, if I kill any of you guys we'll do this. Then if you kill me we'll do that." That way everyone is on the same page and nobody is cowering and crawling off the board after 3 minutes of running in circles.

I think that perhaps we should buy the convention a chess board with little slots cut in the pieces so we can put the pieces name and picture in each one. Like a little thumbnail ID photo type thing.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2011, 11:58:46 pm »
I actually think I've seen a chess set where the pieces had picture slots in them....
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2011, 12:15:04 am »
i did suggest old school vs new >.< hopefully maybe good vs evil could happen next year cuz i really want to see that

Offline Blizzara Dragon

• Chibi
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2011, 09:06:07 am »
OK, so just for the record. When I say I'd rather watch an unscripted match, I mean the chess match itself.

I am definitely in favor of the pieces working out fights and manuevers before hand. I kind of thought that is what had been going on in the forums all these months.  ::)
The pieces should take some time during the pre-meet to speak to their opponents and teammates and work out a sort of "OK, if I kill any of you guys we'll do this. Then if you kill me we'll do that." That way everyone is on the same page and nobody is cowering and crawling off the board after 3 minutes of running in circles.

I think that perhaps we should buy the convention a chess board with little slots cut in the pieces so we can put the pieces name and picture in each one. Like a little thumbnail ID photo type thing.

Some people work out their attacks and talk, but others will just get an idea in their head and not vocalize it. Then you get the people who don't even know what they are going to do(usually the ones who just end up running around for extended periods of time). I really think that the games would go so much better if people would simply think about what they can do to fight. This is especially true of the more non-combat types of characters such as vocaloids, since with some thought and creativity they can do great things(such as a Miku attacking with a leek or a Luka using a squid :P) but the effort has to be made.

I also really like the chess board idea. We'll still want back-up sets though just to make sure, since all it takes is a little slip of the memory and suddenly we're stuck with using post-it notes as pieces.

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2011, 09:55:49 am »
^in regards to that:
i ran away because.... well thats what vanille does lol, except for when we fought with lightning then i actively fought
kumoicon 2013:

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2011, 12:27:23 pm »
This year was my first time to see cosplay chess so you can take what I say with a handful of salt.

It seems to me that if you are signing up to do cosplay chess you are signing up to put on a show to entertain people not just to have a good time yourself (though obviously you should do that too) I don't think it's unreasonable to ask participants to do a little extra work getting ready for it. I mean I wouldn't go up on stage and do a skit in the cosplay contest that I hadn't practiced and it would be the same thing for the cosplay chess, to me anyway. I think the pieces could benefit a lot from finding time to meet even before the con to hang out and practice ideas. I get that not everyone is able to get together a lot before the convention but I think most people could find the time to meet once or twice if it's planned out far enough in advance. I wasn't in the cosplay chess this year but I would like to be in it next year and I personally would have no problem with that.