Author Topic: Is Pluto a Planet?  (Read 14819 times)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Is Pluto a Planet?
« on: April 08, 2011, 05:07:32 pm »
I can understand the reasoning behind "why" it was no longer a planet, but there's still been a great deal of debate on WHAT a planet is, and whether or not Pluto is a planet.  At least this is the last that I heard...
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Jinx

• Sailor Scout
Is Pluto a Planet?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 05:31:07 pm »
no, it has been proven that pluto is even smaller then we thought and most of its mass is ice and therefore it no longer qualifies as a planet but see that sucks big time so um no pluto is a planet now and forever.

Possible cosplay 2012 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
Is Pluto a Planet?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 05:38:28 pm »
In my mind it's still a planet - probably because the only way I can remember all of the planets is to list the Senshi in my head XD - but I know on paper that it's not, and there are solid reasons for that. Still, it's kind of depressing...my childhood...D:

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Is Pluto a Planet?
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 05:40:37 pm »
Wow, that's not even close to what I heard last, but whatever.

Offline Jinx

• Sailor Scout
Is Pluto a Planet?
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 06:18:16 pm »
Wow that's a lot of love...Don't worry if you find me I will give you lots of hugs!

In my mind Pluto is Pluto not matter what!
this makes me happy

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
Is Pluto a Planet?
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 06:53:29 pm »
Wow that's a lot of love...Don't worry if you find me I will give you lots of hugs!

In my mind Pluto is Pluto not matter what!
this makes me happy
YAY!
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
Is Pluto a Planet?
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 07:16:41 pm »
yes pluto IS  a planet.

why? because SOMEONE needs to guard time and space.....
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline Jinx

• Sailor Scout
Is Pluto a Planet?
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 07:45:02 pm »
yes pluto IS  a planet.

why? because SOMEONE needs to guard time and space.....

omfg ikr!?

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Is Pluto a Planet?
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 08:47:24 pm »
Well, I for one say that there has yet to be anything said to disqualify Pluto from being a planet.  In fact, here's some things that I got from NASA:

"Today, Pluto is called a "dwarf planet." A dwarf planet orbits the sun just like other planets, but it is smaller. A dwarf planet is so small it cannot clear other objects out of its path."

"Pluto is also called a plutoid. A plutoid is a dwarf planet that is farther out in space than the planet Neptune. The three known plutoids are Pluto, Eris and Makemake (MAH-kee-MAH-kee). Astronomers use telescopes to discover new objects like plutoids."

So, it sounds like NASA considers Pluto to be a planet, just a smaller version of one.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
Re: Is Pluto a Planet?
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 09:09:40 pm »
There is a bigger planet farther out than Pluto. They've found it not by seeing it, but by the fact it occludes stars. It throws comets at us every once in a while to say hello.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 09:11:43 pm »
Dwarf planets are a recently developed classification which Pluto now fits under. It's its own classification because they kept discovering more objects beyond Pluto that fit their current definition of a planet, and decided that they needed a more refined definition. In refining their definition, scientists decided on three things planets had to do - orbit a sun, have enough gravity to pull itself into a sphere, and be able to "clear its orbit" of any objects close to its size. Dwarf planets can't do the last part, and so Pluto no longer qualifies.

/nerd

Relevant to this thread --> http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=sailor+pluto+planet#/d1l27qf

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 09:26:48 pm »
I bugged my physics teacher into explaining it to me last year.

Basically, another planetary object was found, and certain scientists were like, "YEEES ANOTHER PLANET." But other scientists were like, "lolno. it's too small, bro." So the pro-new planet scientists were like, "But Pluto is smaller!" And that sparked the "Is Pluto REALLY a planet?" debate.

The ending result was Pluto not being a planet anymore, because there's other objects about its size or larger that don't get to be planets.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Jinx

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 10:05:57 pm »

Basically, another planetary object was found, and certain scientists were like, "YEEES ANOTHER PLANET." But other scientists were like, "lolno. it's too small, bro." So the pro-new planet scientists were like, "But Pluto is smaller!" And that sparked the "Is Pluto REALLY a planet?" debate.

The ending result was Pluto not being a planet anymore, because there's other objects about its size or larger that don't get to be planets.

ok first of all your picture makes me way super mega happy. second, dude, screw that Plutos a planet end of story.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 10:10:27 pm »

ok first of all your picture makes me way super mega happy. second, dude, screw that Plutos a planet end of story.
Colbert makes everyone happy.

Not officially. But Pluto is still a planet in my heart. <3
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
    • My YouTube. Subscribe! <3
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 10:16:07 pm »
I say yes.
Pluto and I are best friends, you know. Pluto is very upset.

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 10:30:44 pm »
Ffff I think every Sailor Moon fan ever is going to deny it to the end of our days.  Pluto is still technically a planet...kind of...does this mean I can make fan-characters for all the other dwarf planets?

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 11:15:28 pm »
I'm a huge moon fan, and I acknowledge that it's not a planet. I was a bit upset, but you've got to admit, that astronomers and astrophysicists argue about this stuff is not only hilarious it's fascinating.

Part of the reason it's not is because, as it was mentioned, Pluto isn't big enough to clear it's orbit of debri and the like. Another reason is in 2003 Eris was discovered. Eris is a dwarf planet located in the Kuiper Belt where Pluto is located. It is bigger than Pluto. Had Pluto been kept as a planet, Eris probably would have been named the tenth planet even though it's orbit is even more jacked up than Pluto's.

I feel it's important to note that Ceres was upgraded from asteroid to Dwarf planet as well, thus making Cera Cera the best out of the Amazoness Quartet.

If you want to argue that Pluto is still a planet, you better argue that the Apatosaurus is really a Brontosaurus, the Pterodactyl isn't a Pterosaur, and that the Triceratops isn't just a juvenile Torosaurus. Better work on that last one quick since it's likely but not official.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 12:35:15 am »
Well, I meant that a dwarf planet is still a planet (because it is, as far as I understand it) but it's a smaller subcategory. That's how I've always heard it. It's a bit like squares and rectangles - all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.

...I could be completely wrong about this, though.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 01:24:08 am »
Makes sense to me! If scientists wanted to differentiate more, trust me. They would. Look at it this way, all the planets are normal, but Pluto, Eris, and Ceres are chibi form.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 02:08:10 am »
Makes sense to me! If scientists wanted to differentiate more, trust me. They would. Look at it this way, all the planets are normal, but Pluto, Eris, and Ceres are chibi form.

Great way of phrasing it, but now you've got me imagining (Planetary) Axis Powers: Solar System. With Romi Park (Edward Elric's VA) voicing the part of Pluto.  ;)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011, 10:31:36 am »
does this mean I can make fan-characters for all the other dwarf planets?

I saw so.  In fact, I'm currently working on a fanfic in which the characters make a fan-based Sailor Moon movie in which the Asteroid Belt has a character (based off of the theory that it was at once a planet called Ceres).

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 10:58:47 am »
I saw so.  In fact, I'm currently working on a fanfic in which the characters make a fan-based Sailor Moon movie in which the Asteroid Belt has a character (based off of the theory that it was at once a planet called Ceres).

I've already started designing Sailor Eris. Fan-characters are fuuuun~...as long as they're not Sues.

That thing about the Asteroid belt is cool, I'd never heard that before.

(Edit because I can't type, apparently.)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 10:59:17 am by Chibachi Nero »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 11:04:13 am »
I saw so.  In fact, I'm currently working on a fanfic in which the characters make a fan-based Sailor Moon movie in which the Asteroid Belt has a character (based off of the theory that it was at once a planet called Ceres).

I've already started designing Sailor Eris. Fan-characters are fuuuun~...as long as they're not Sues.

That thing about the Asteroid belt is cool, I'd never heard that before.

(Edit because I can't type, apparently.)

Thank you!

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 04:57:43 pm »
There already is a Sailor Ceres, though! Not in the anime, but she shows up at the end of SuperS and Sailor Stars manga.

She's basically part of the Inner Senshi for Chibi Moon. The other coterie would be Sailor Pallas, Juno, and Vesta.

Told you I'm a Sailor Moon fan ;)

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 04:58:31 pm »
Also, post your Sailor Eris picture when you're done. I kind of want to try designing my own! Would that be okay? I'd love to see everyone's designs myself.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 05:41:49 pm »
LMFAO~

I love how the people posting this are pretty much all from the Sailor Moon thread. xD

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 07:28:10 pm »
Also, post your Sailor Eris picture when you're done. I kind of want to try designing my own! Would that be okay? I'd love to see everyone's designs myself.

I will. Only now I'm starting to ~get inspired~ to do this AU fanfic thing in which Pluto is leading a group of Senshi based on the other dwarf planets for some reason, and...D: Do not have tiiiiime...

You should totally do one! You're a great artist, I'd love to see what you come up with.

Offline Jinx

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 07:41:48 pm »
I'm a huge moon fan, and I acknowledge that it's not a planet. I was a bit upset, but you've got to admit, that astronomers and astrophysicists argue about this stuff is not only hilarious it's fascinating.

Part of the reason it's not is because, as it was mentioned, Pluto isn't big enough to clear it's orbit of debri and the like. Another reason is in 2003 Eris was discovered. Eris is a dwarf planet located in the Kuiper Belt where Pluto is located. It is bigger than Pluto. Had Pluto been kept as a planet, Eris probably would have been named the tenth planet even though it's orbit is even more jacked up than Pluto's.

I feel it's important to note that Ceres was upgraded from asteroid to Dwarf planet as well, thus making Cera Cera the best out of the Amazoness Quartet.

If you want to argue that Pluto is still a planet, you better argue that the Apatosaurus is really a Brontosaurus, the Pterodactyl isn't a Pterosaur, and that the Triceratops isn't just a juvenile Torosaurus. Better work on that last one quick since it's likely but not official.

crap. now I want a sailor Eris and I want cere cere to be the leader of the sailor/amazon quartet. dwarf plants should be chibi sailors.

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2011, 08:02:06 pm »
Otaku Senshi (Fan Senshi) based off of the dwarf planets are popular, although I always love seeing different designs for them!

Pluto having another duty other than protecting the space/time door?!
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2011, 08:14:39 pm »
Maybe that's why she got stuck with that crap job anyways. Queen Serenity knew what was up. XD;

I also noticed that all these avatars and names are quite familiar from another thread ;)

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2011, 08:19:21 pm »
Heh, yeah, it does seem to be pretty much just the Sailor Moon thread people, huh?

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2011, 08:35:50 pm »
LMFAO~

I love how the people posting this are pretty much all from the Sailor Moon thread. xD

I just think it's funny that at some point, I may have to merge the fanfic speculation back into the Sailor Moon thread. It somehow seems incestuous.

(Not that there's any of that in anime... ;))
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2011, 08:48:02 pm »
(Not that there's any of that in anime... ;))

Well, there isn't until the dubbers get a hold of them, at least... (Sorry, the bitter fangirl in me had to.)

Offline Jinx

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2011, 08:45:18 am »
hahaha well maybe at least on the kumoricon forums no one but us sailor moon fans really care? idk lol

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2011, 05:10:37 pm »
I feel confident that in my lifetime, nobody will set foot on Pluto to make sure.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2011, 07:22:00 am »
Well yeah since we're spending all our money on war and bailouts (Sorry if I offend anyone, this is just my view)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2011, 12:00:03 pm »
^ Actually, that's a somewhat accurate statement, aside from the fact that we completely lack the technology to make the trek there...

There already is a Sailor Ceres, though! Not in the anime, but she shows up at the end of SuperS and Sailor Stars manga.

She's basically part of the Inner Senshi for Chibi Moon. The other coterie would be Sailor Pallas, Juno, and Vesta.

Crap!  Well, is she an ally?

Offline Jinx

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2011, 01:24:03 pm »
^ Actually, that's a somewhat accurate statement, aside from the fact that we completely lack the technology to make the trek there...

yeah, shes badass, all of em are.....just sayin

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2011, 02:11:02 pm »

yeah, shes badass, all of em are.....just sayin

Well that sucks!  In the story I was working on, she was going to be a villian!  (I was also thinking about having it being a he instead; oh well, maybe I can still find a way to make it work, or come up with something else...)

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2011, 05:49:37 pm »
I
Well yeah since we're spending all our money on war and bailouts (Sorry if I offend anyone, this is just my view)

No. The president decided to cancel any future development by NASA for the foreseeable future. He needed to gut something that most Democrats don't care about. And since all the space based industries are in the Deep South, it fit his agenda perfectly.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2011, 06:32:30 pm »
@Wash: You maybe be flamed/trolled by some Otaku Senshi fans if you make her a boy, since Naoko Takeuchi said so herself that only girls can be Senshi after she saw that the Three Lights were changed to males in the anime

@Jay: Good point

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2011, 07:01:16 pm »
I

No. The president decided to cancel any future development by NASA for the foreseeable future. He needed to gut something that most Democrats don't care about. And since all the space based industries are in the Deep South, it fit his agenda perfectly.
It helps that a great deal of space missions fail anyway. Can't remember the exact percentage, but it's a significant amount.

Also, without the bailouts, those companies would have crashed and the economy with them.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2011, 07:34:18 pm »
I shall not reply because I don't want to get into a huge Debate, because those aren't fun

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2011, 08:13:16 pm »
Space isn't cheap, and it doesn't take but one for it to be monumental. Mostly it's the missions to Mars that have a high fail rate.

You know your Ball mason jars? They make space probes. The things you see when you hit the C-SPAN and NASA channels.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Jinx

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2011, 09:03:52 pm »
I

wow there, hold up, now your just getting stereotypical. every since involved person I know is a hardcore democrat. I would love to continue on this subject (debate makes me happy) but thats not the topic of this forum......getting back to the Pluto thing. Pluto is a dwarf planet and where I would love to say that we will be jumping to explore it and so on, as was said earlier our technology is waaaaaaay far off from there and we aren't even starting the MARS project yet which would have taken 1000 years in estimate and NASA said thats more of a minimum....

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2011, 09:09:33 pm »
I

wow there, hold up, now your just getting stereotypical. every since involved person I know is a hardcore democrat. I would love to continue on this subject (debate makes me happy) but thats not the topic of this forum......getting back to the Pluto thing. Pluto is a dwarf planet and where I would love to say that we will be jumping to explore it and so on, as was said earlier our technology is waaaaaaay far off from there and we aren't even starting the MARS project yet which would have taken 1000 years in estimate and NASA said thats more of a minimum....
I'm a hardcore democrat and I think we should cut space funding for right now. Education and health care need that money.  :-\

Now, on-topic: I joke about how Pluto is still a planet IN MY HEART and about how I had to memorize it as part of the planets in third grade so it should still be a planet, but it's just a joke. Pluto shouldn't be considered a planet anymore, not if we can't add the other dwarf planets as real planets too.
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Jinx

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2011, 09:16:12 pm »
I

I'm a hardcore democrat and I think we should cut space funding for right now. Education and health care need that money.  :-\

mhm, I personally agree which is why as fascinating as I found the mars project and as existed as it made me I was willing to let it go. I was however disappointed that obama let go of some of the very important things very early on in the health care bill and......um...once again, sorry, off topic...maybe I should make a political topic?

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2011, 09:48:35 pm »
I

Now, on-topic: I joke about how Pluto is still a planet IN MY HEART and about how I had to memorize it as part of the planets in third grade so it should still be a planet, but it's just a joke. Pluto shouldn't be considered a planet anymore, not if we can't add the other dwarf planets as real planets too.

Moderate Democrat and we should cut Defense. Have you seen the budget? I think we can spare some money. It's stupid-huge.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2011, 10:16:15 pm »
@Wash: You maybe be flamed/trolled by some Otaku Senshi fans if you make her a boy, since Naoko Takeuchi said so herself that only girls can be Senshi after she saw that the Three Lights were changed to males in the anime

Well, the idea that I had was a crossover with The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, in which they make their own live-action movie.  I'm thinking about giving Haruhi a little bit more knowledge of the series than what I have (with Chan helping me out with that), and any expert knowledge could be chimed in by a different character.  The reason why I said "male" was because I had randomly selected who was going to be what characters and (this is the honest truth) Kyon was selected to be the main bad guy.  At the time, I had no idea what I was going to do, but when I first came up with the idea of a Ceres, my idea was that he would be something more like an evil-Tuxedo-Mask-type than an evil-sailor-scout-type.  I can also see Haruhi not caring, since many live action movies usually disregard many facts from a franchise in order to meet their movie goals.

...maybe I could have the villian be Haley's Comet?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 10:16:54 pm by Washougal_Otaku »

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2011, 10:38:48 pm »
Don't see why not, but it'd have to be a fast working one. Haley's Comet only comes around every 76 years. It was last here in 1986 and won't come back until 2061.