Author Topic: Category intro clips as samples? (2011)  (Read 3499 times)

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Category intro clips as samples? (2011)
« on: September 01, 2010, 10:20:32 am »
I had been working on the category openers in the weeks leading up to the judges' panel,
and I screened a few by them (I thin I had gotten 3 or 4 done out of 7,) and one
possibility suggested to me by one of the judges was to produce these short 15 ~ 35sec
as guidelines or sample mini-AMVs for what the category is about.

I wanted to run that idea by the AMV creators (probably at the dinner Friday night,) but
one limitation I see (which I told that person) was that those clips are just ME, at my
eff-around-with-it level, not the competitors' level. LOTS of people have cooler digital
toys than me and can do way better, and way smoother and contemporary looking
effects and settings than my old coal-fired Win2K and XP machines. Then also there is
personal interpretation of the category.

We might call a category "Action," or "Intensity," etc, but there are dozens or roads to
take, and my clips which would of course FIT within the category, should not be taken
as the ONLY sub-genre that the category applies to, and I wouldn't want all the contestants
to be stuck with one narrow interpretation of a wider category definition.

Your comments?

Offline somanyturtles

• Sailor Scout
Re: Category intro clips as samples? (2011)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 02:07:15 pm »
I don't think that the openers need to be guidelines at all. Every convention has different ideas on categories for their contest so saying, "This is what an action video should be," is still far to vague. Even if you think back to the old post about the categories for this years contest, we were all saying different thing on what could fall where. I'm still firmly believe that a "drama" type video doesn't have to be set to the sappy parts of an anime to slow music.

Personal I like your openers as they are now, just a small clip that says, "This category is next!" with something cool looking or a small joke in it. I friggn' loved the hello kitty/ eye of souron clip from last year.

Also if you think about it by the time that anyone sees the openers its WAY to late to change anything in your video and then there is a chance taht the categories are gonna change for next year so there's really no point in having the openers be sample is pretty pointless.